INTRO: edit-tabs, lets you open link-to-tabs links in edit mode with 1 click

PMario

Mar 29, 2018, 5:36:46 AM3/29/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I did just upload a new little plugin, that is named: edit-tabs.

It lets you open "tab links" in edit mode with 1 click.

 - Clicking a tab-link for non-system tiddlers will open them in edit mode.
 - system tiddlers will open in view mode. atm

The implementation is as minimalistic as it could be.

At the time of this posting, I was thinking about, to make the "system tiddler" auto editing configurable. ... We'll see

Other plugins can be found at: https://wikilabs.github.io

have fun!
mario

PS - If you like it: Support it :)

PPS: The plugin was inspired by a discussion here in the group.

manuar...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2018, 8:05:18 AM4/3/18
to TiddlyWiki
I love this plugin. It's minimalistic and helps a great deal (I had to make buttons in the tiddlers to edit them when displaying tabs, a pain).

A note to people: if like me you like a bigger edit link, just edit $:/plugins/wikilabs/edit-tabs/styles and set font-size: 1em;, or whatever you feel like.

Thanks for the work!

manuar...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2018, 8:05:20 AM4/3/18
to TiddlyWiki

PMario

Apr 4, 2018, 3:19:56 AM4/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 2:05:18 PM UTC+2, manuar...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for the work!

You are welcome!
-m

PMario

Jul 14, 2019, 9:04:52 AM7/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi folks,

I did just push a new version of edit-tabs plugin.

What's new?

V1.0.0 - 2019-07-14

  • Add new option: Initially hide link
    • Transition time from hidden to visible is adjustable
  • Added: "Reset to Default" button
  • Show Edit Button if edit mode is active

This version has feature parity with link-to-tabs plugin from same date!

have fun!

mario

Mohammad

Jul 14, 2019, 10:29:17 AM7/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mario!
 I tried the demo and seems transition does not work!

Would you please have a look.

--Mohammad

TonyM

Jul 14, 2019, 11:41:18 PM7/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
To all

For others to read: if I had an income right now I would be donating to Mario for this. If you have an income please do so.

Mario,

I just want to thank you for the addition of edit-tabs to the existing link-to-tabs. Which I one of the most valuable plugins for learning about tiddlywiki. It allows the user to explore any sideBar or Control panel tab to find the underlying tiddler, and review the code therein. That is why it is installed it in my learning edition http://tiddlywiki.psat.com.au/learn/

This edit tabs plugin now allows us to quickly build a tab set, and give even novice users the ability to edit the content therein. This allows the easy creation and use of  "compound tiddlers". Which I define as;

"Compound Tiddlers" a Tiddler which brings together a number of tiddlers and presents them as one."

I will soon publish a set of macros called "tabs-for-tiddlers" which generates tabs based on some standard criteria, these will work well with "new here" and your "new here with parent", edit-tabs and link-to-tabs solutions.

Would you mind if I package both link-to-tabs and edit-tabs in my bundle (and acknowledgement and links)? or should I just provide the links?

Thanks so much again Mario
Regards
Tony

PMario

Jul 15, 2019, 3:51:24 AM7/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

It will be only visible, if you hover the link icon. ... It's not intended to be visible, if you hover the tab.

-m

PMario

Jul 15, 2019, 4:10:31 AM7/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 5:41:18 AM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:
Would you mind if I package both link-to-tabs and edit-tabs in my bundle (and acknowledgement and links)? or should I just provide the links?

I think linking is more future proof. Otherwise you'd need to update your bundle, everytime I update the plugins. Reality shows, that we will be out of sync in a second. ...

It's important that you __can not__ install both plugins at the same time!

link-to-tabs should be the users choice! ...

edit-tabs was created by request. ... To make it work, I needed to add a javascript element, which I want to remove in the future. .. When that's possible, I can merge the 2 functions back into 1 plugin again.

The resulting plugin will be link-to-tabs ...

have fun!
mario

PMario

Jul 15, 2019, 4:58:45 AM7/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

As I did create the plugins (TW 5.1.15), the core tabs macro didn't use buttonTemplates, as in TW V5.1.19. Those button templates are intended for users and plugin authors to extend the core tabs macro. ...

Those core extension are not enough, for the functionality link-to-tabs and/or edit-tabs need. ...

That's why both plugins do replace the $:/core/macros/tabs macro, which is not optimal! The same is true for Mat's TabLinks plugin.

The core tab macros form 5.1.19 has the same problem as may other elements in the core UI. I can't deal with tiddler titles, that contain special chars. eg:: xxx]
If you use this title the tabs macro will fail. ...

We can fix this, in a similar way as the TOC macro. ... BUT this will increase the overall complexity of the macro. ... I'm not sure, if Jeremy will merge PRs, that fix severe problems and make macros more complex.

I do have an idea, how we can design the core tabs macro in a way, that plugin authors are not forced to overwrite them. .. So it should be possible to install edit-tabs, link-to-tabs and Mats tablink plugin at the same time. ... It wouldn't make sense, but they shouldn't kill each other, as they do atm.

-mario

TonyM

Jul 15, 2019, 6:30:29 AM7/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mario,

Thanks I discovered they do not work at the same time, I will use link-to-tabs  I will go with linking in my doco.

You said "the core tabs macro didn't use buttonTemplates, as in TW V5.1.19" but I cant find anything on this change or feature.

Can you throw a little light on this for me please or is it in javascript?

Regards
Tony

PMario

Jul 15, 2019, 6:59:15 AM7/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 12:30:29 PM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:
Thanks I discovered they do not work at the same time, I will use link-to-tabs  I will go with linking in my doco.

OK

You said "the core tabs macro didn't use buttonTemplates, as in TW V5.1.19" but I cant find anything on this change or feature.

It's very close, but not exactly what works for link-to-tabs behaviour. ... May be some funky CSS could do the trick. .. But I didn't try yet.

-m

Mohammad

Jul 15, 2019, 7:33:23 AM7/15/19
to TiddlyWiki