first wiki is up-- Guide to general use of TW

A Gloom

Aug 15, 2019, 11:18:35 PM8/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
This has been posted way back but now is at a permanent location now

Guide to  general use of TW *(still needs finishing touches)

Mohammad will be relieved : )  Another bigger TW-- the WikiWitchery-- with all sorts of nifty stuff is being prepared...

-- let me know if that high constrast theme is a readibility issue-- its a default TW palette-- blue links on black? tsk, tsk

Mohammad

Aug 16, 2019, 2:03:54 AM8/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,
 Great stuff and many thanks for all your efforts!
I prefer the default TW theme! By the way

  1. Why have you used 5.1.17 and not 5.1.20?
  2. The tabs in http://twguidedoc.tiddlyspot.com/#%3FF0%20Guide are not readable except the selected one!

Good luck
Mohammad

Birthe C

Aug 16, 2019, 7:09:22 AM8/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi A Gloom,

Thank you. The high contrast theme is okay except - you guessed it the blue on black links.

On the other hand I found that my old eyes get sharper seeing a nice and interesting TW.

Birthe

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 16, 2019, 8:24:02 AM8/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
Dear Gloom

I am not gloomy. Nice content.

The high contrast is good for purpose!

Larger or bolded  white text plus orangey links is good for **declarative** work ... for example ...

Design wise if you go that way it is a mistake to have borders of boxes in white too.

Be leaner, I think.

Thoughts, TT

TonyM

Aug 16, 2019, 8:02:09 PM8/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
A Gloom

Thanks so much for your contribution to the community.

Feedback
  • My first discovery on looking at the site is the tabs are white and I can't read the unselected tab titles (I'm using FF) and other fields in control panel
  • Your use of ?F0 ?F1 is initially a little confusing, does it help with screen readers? A little explanation may help.
  • I think your #Introduction should include an overview of the purpose of the whole wiki, and I would explicitly state any accessibility objectives.
  • Is there a reason why its still running on tiddlywiki version 5.1.17?
  • Is there a reason why you do not set the Sidebar layout to Fluid Story, Fixed sidebar? This makes more use of modern desktop screens
Love your work

Tony

A Gloom

Aug 18, 2019, 9:45:36 PM8/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry for the delay in responding-- medical stuff and mad codding experiments with the next wiki-- the more I work on getting it ready to do public, the more ideas for even more content I get...

@Mohammad,

I was being lazy, just uploaded the original wiki without upgrading-- but its now 5.1.20.
I changed the theme, it seemed to fix the tabs visibility

@Birthe C

I should make the green & orange on black theme (like the ancient monochrome CRT's) from Looking Glass a palette

see here for screenshots

last post, attachments, first shows how my broweser strips all html/css color, 2nd & 3rd show what the theme actually is (I could had swirn the links were orange while the rest of text was lime green- maybe that is a pre-orange/green theme)

@TT

I know that page about sortable tables-- now that I finally got around to installing Opera I didn't know what the page's text colors were-- see above about my problwm with html/css colors

color theming of text by its function is something I do, though the dark orange text for me makes it almost disappear (but I don't see things as well as normal sighted persons)-- my one concern would be using color blind safe colors-- and I had a link to S.O. Graphic Design to a very comprehensive article about the best colors for things like line graphs
@Tony,

Took care of those evil white tabs-- used the new Twilight palette from 5.1.20
The method of madness with the ?F0 & ?F1 is based off the F1 help key in PC's, F0 being a prehelp  designator (the general guide to use), ?'s added for emphasize
The Fluid Story, Fixed sidebar setting, I'll have to look at-- this wiki was ont of the very first I created so I wasn't fully knowledgeable when creating-- many thanks for pointing it out though, your noticing made me aware of something I probably would had kept missing.

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 19, 2019, 7:28:25 AM8/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Gloom, not Gloomy, wrote
... see above about my problwm with html/css colors

It would be good if a colour aware programmer made CSS palettes for TW ...

Protanomaly (1%) in men

Protanopia (1%) in men

Deuteranomaly (5+%) in men = 1 in 20 (Red-Green Colour Blindness)

Deuteranopia (1%) in men

Tritanomaly (rare) women & men

Monochromacy (rare) women & men

I'll post separately about it as its an interesting issue.

Best wishes
TT

A Gloom

Aug 19, 2019, 8:28:12 PM8/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
>> Gloom, not Gloomy, wrote

Gloomy works too, just don't called me Cheery : P

I'll post separately about it as its an interesting issue.

Do it-- the first step to start awareness, is to reveal the issue.  Color blindness iirc is more common that what I suffer from-- general blindness, thoudh the white bachground issue I suffer from may be just as common-- suffered by people that are losing their sight to diabeties.

Here's tthe source I was referring to-- some of the question responses refer to scientific details on palettes of the most contrsting colors (as in colors with the most contast (seperation) between them-- good for color coding-- no mistaking the differences in colors)

this questions' answers bring up color blindeness and color coding

Birthe C

Aug 20, 2019, 4:03:17 AM8/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Gloom,

You are bringing up something very interesting. Diabetes is unfortunately very common. Also we are all getting older, and I find, that after reading on screen for a long time, my eyes get very tired. All screens are not of a of good quality and that also matters.

In the DOS days I used a "multimedia authoring" software (using Ascii vector graphics....LOL never mind that. The author told me he wrote stories and very often used a dark blue for background and a very light blue for text. That was for his wife to also be able to read it.

Remember I liked your high contrast theme. Now with your changes...totally good for my eyes at least.

Birthe

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 20, 2019, 12:31:53 PM8/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
A Gloom

<snip>

Took care of those evil white tabs-- used the new Twilight palette from 5.1.20

</snip>

As the author of the palette I am happy to read that it is actually used by real people :)

Thomas

Autumn Gray Eakin

Aug 20, 2019, 12:52:11 PM8/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
I thought I would point out CSS placement problems dramatically affecting usability when viewing the TW in Firefox on iOS 12+.

Most/all of the content fully overlaps at the top of the page, so as to be indistinguishable and impossible to interact with. See attached screenshot.

While I have non-mobile options for interaction, I like many people these days no longer actually use them when we don’t have to. :-)
C242EF90-2BD8-4F47-9431-D51CBEAD7CC8.jpeg

A Gloom

Aug 21, 2019, 8:54:02 PM8/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
@Autumn Grey

I thought I would point out CSS placement problems dramatically affecting usability when viewing the TW in Firefox on iOS 12+.
Most/all of the content fully overlaps at the top of the page, so as to be indistinguishable and impossible to interact with. See attached screenshot.

ty-- I know exactly what happened there-- the top bar is floating over the sidebar (same behavior with desktop, also happens with storyriver tiddlers)-- hack-142 got diabled when the wiki was upgraded to 5.1.20

I believe I can fix it without the hack.

While I have non-mobile options for interaction, I like many people these days no longer actually use them when we don’t have to. :-)

how true-- unfortunately I'm the exact opposite-- I don't have mobile options, so I'm behind the times when it comes to authoring for mobile

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 22, 2019, 4:09:12 AM8/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Gloom

I have not forgotten this.

I note your comments about general blindness.

It may take me a while, but I'm trying to think through how to present a manageable question to CSS pundits here so we can get better made ...

    "Sight-Equipped-Palettes"

... in time.

IMO explicitly dealing with the issue of "sightedness" and promoting solutions could increase uptake of TW.

Thoughts
TT

A Gloom

Sep 1, 2019, 9:10:11 PM9/1/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thomas

As the author of the palette I am happy to read that it is actually used by real people :

The Twilight palette is well done, one of my preferred palettes for publishing wikis so I can view them when they're live.