Interstitial Journaling in TiddlyWiki

Scott Kingery

Apr 26, 2020, 1:35:59 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
An article by Anne-Laure Le Cunff titled Interstitial journaling: combining notes, to-do & time tracking - Ness Labs introduced me to the concept. She wrote, "the basic idea of interstitial journaling is to write a few lines every time you take a break, and to track the exact time you are taking these notes."

I liked the idea and thought I might be able to cobble together an interesting tool for it using TIddlyWiki. Lots of great plugins and code from Tiddlyblink make it not too hard. The main concept is being able to add a new journal entry with as few barriers as possible.

If it sounds interesting, have a look here: https://techlifeweb.com/tiddlywiki/dailynotes.html

Scott

Mat

Apr 26, 2020, 3:00:19 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Nice.

I would imagine that not only ease-of-adding notes is critical but also that the tool is accessible while using the rest of the wiki. I made QuickTid long ago with this in mind. It could probably be modified to also add timestamped notes like you demo.

<:-)

TonyM

Apr 26, 2020, 3:16:21 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Scott,

Is this another way of keeping a log? I did something similar where you can do a log entry on any tiddler or the wiki and you could review them in reverse chronological order either by tiddler or for all. My solution put them all inside a data tiddler with references back to where they were written. I will share if asked.

Regards
Tony

Mohammad

Apr 26, 2020, 3:52:26 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Lovely! Many thanks for sharing Scott!

A minor comment
- How to simply edit an entry if I did a mistake, typo, ...

--Mohammad

Tony K

Apr 26, 2020, 4:34:03 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Scott
thanks for sharing, I was looking at something similar.

is it a plugin or something? How can I install it on my TiddlyWiki ?

Birthe C

Apr 26, 2020, 4:47:03 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Scott,

Looks nice and works well.
Thanks for sharing!

@TonyM, Please share. We all like to see what others are doing. And we learn from it.

Birthe

Saq Imtiaz

Apr 26, 2020, 4:48:11 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Scott, well done! Especially if you are new to working with TiddlyWiki.

A few suggestions for potential improvements that you might find useful and shouldn't be too difficult:
- use the enter key to save the entry, defaulting the type corresponding to whichever tab is open, journal or to-do. (KeyboardWidget and actions should get you there). I have a similar quick entry box for thoughts and being able to just hit the enter key and continue typing the next entry really speeds things up.
- drag and drop re-ordering of the list (if you would find that useful).

Regards,
Saq

Scott Kingery

Apr 27, 2020, 12:08:07 AM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, everyone, for checking out my work on this and for your nice comments.

@Mat: Thanks for the pointer to QuickTid. I may consider adding it or something like that.

@TonyM: I'd forgotten about that tool you wrote for keeping logs. If you have a link to an example I think we'd all like to see it again.

@Mohammad: An edit isn't the easiest thing. I think if I made a typo I would just make another entry because that is fast and I'm lazy that way. If you did want to edit, simply click on the tiddler holding the day's entries to open it then just use the usual edit procedure.

@Tony K: It isn't a plugin. Mostly a bunch of individual tiddlers and some wonderful plugins built by the talented people in this group. When I get a bit more time I'll see what I can do to outline the tiddlers and things you would need to put into your own wiki.

@Saq: Not sure I need to reorder things but I do like the idea of the enter-key shortcut that you mentioned. I'll have to look into how to implement that.

TonyM

Apr 27, 2020, 2:12:15 AM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Scott,

I found this, attached, install and select log on a tiddler.

I am sure I can refine this based on new knowledge.

I am sure it can be customised quit easy, the login of placing the link back ets in the data tiddler is where the effort was required.

I have a full editor version as well.

Regards
Tony
Show-Log-Macro.bundle.json

TonyM

Apr 27, 2020, 2:16:29 AM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki

Birthe C

Apr 27, 2020, 5:53:18 AM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
TonyM,

Really nice, thanks for sharing. May I ask, why you show copy tag to clipboard 2 times in the tag dropdown.

Birthe

TonyM

Apr 27, 2020, 7:41:44 AM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Birthe

Do you mean on the github site?

I will fix that. I obviously installs an old solution along with its revised one and had not seen it.

That sites not at all finished.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards
Tony

Birthe C

Apr 27, 2020, 7:56:28 AM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
TonyM,

Yes the github site. It is in tiddler "$:/PSaT/copy-tag" in the content you have 2 buttons written, the last one is of no use.

Birthe

mervin mecklenburg

Apr 27, 2020, 8:28:23 AM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony,

Interesting idea.  Is there a way to purge entries at a later date?

Merv

TonyM

Apr 27, 2020, 10:01:50 AM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Nerve

You could export, clone, edit or delete the data tiddler in use.

I must make some tools for listing and searching the log but all basic methods should work.

Regards
Tony

Scott Kingery

Apr 27, 2020, 4:04:47 PM4/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony, thanks for sharing! I'll have to give it some thought later when I get some more time.

Scott

TiddlyTweeter

Apr 28, 2020, 2:44:58 PM4/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Scott

Useful tool. Tx.

What Anne-Laurie calls "interstitial journaling" is basically "contemporaneous tracking". Its very useful beyond journals. Its useful for tracking anything. Would be very useful, for instance, in self observation experiments.

I think your UI design is very neat and to the point.

The appending of entries to a dated tiddler is fine.

The only scenario where I could wish for more would be to be able to tag each new item. For instance ...

14:00 ate an egg
14:12 fed cat
14:22 felt ill

14 & 14:22 are really "nutrition" items I track (14:12 is "pet"). I guess this would need new items as individual tiddlers to tag as such the nutrition theme?

Anyway, as is its v. useful. Many thanks!

Best
Josiah

Scott Kingery

Apr 28, 2020, 7:35:59 PM4/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Josiah, when I set out to design this I though individual tiddlers per line seemed like an eventual glut of tiddlers. However, it would add some extra flexibility around tagging and things like that. I'll think about it for the next version.

TonyM

Apr 28, 2020, 8:23:29 PM4/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Scott,

Avoiding a glut of tiddlers was my intention with my log facility (Shared previously) to a data tiddler, but sometimes I think this concern can be unwarranted, especially if the log tiddlers were system tiddlers, and a custom search was needed so as not to "pollute the tiddler title space".

Regards
tony

Tony K

Apr 29, 2020, 2:01:46 AM4/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Scott

You removed your demo?

Thank you

cmari

May 1, 2020, 4:52:59 PM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Scott,
I like the ease of entry with the automatic timestamp and no need to touch the mouse. One thing I discovered: it's not possible to include quotation marks in a note. I'm afraid I don't know how to fix that, so all I can do is report it.
cmari

Anjar

May 3, 2020, 10:34:25 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

It's not as sophisticated as the log solution, but having a simple tiddler like the one below will create tiddlers with timestamp as title when hitting enter and supports inline tagging using hashtags; etc. writing "This is a #test with tags" and hitting will add a tiddler and tag it with "test" (and "$:/tags/item" for easy filtering)

\define additem()
<$action-listops $tiddler="$:/temp" $tags="[enlist{$:/temp!!text}lowercase[]removeprefix[#]]" />
<$action-listops $tiddler="$:/temp" $tags="+[append{$:/temp!!tags}] $:/tags/item" />
<$action-createtiddler $basetitle=<<now "[UTC]YYYY0MM0DD0hh0mm0ssXXX">> text={{$:/temp!!text}} tags={{$:/temp!!tags}} />
<$action-setfield $tiddler="$:/temp" text="" tags="" />
\end

<$keyboard key="enter" actions=<<additem>>>
<$edit-text tiddler="$:/temp" tag="input" default="" />
</$keyboard>

<$list filter="[tag[$:/tags/item]]">

* {{!!text}}
</$list>

Best,
Anders

Scott Kingery

May 3, 2020, 12:39:24 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony K, thanks for noticing. Purely accidental and I've put it back up on the server.

Tony K

May 3, 2020, 12:49:46 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Scott :D

How I wish it was a plugin :)

brentlhall

May 7, 2020, 12:16:01 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Scott,
Just wanted to let you know I've found "dailynotes" very useful. I've created a "bob" tiddlywiki with the dailynotes.html and it looks and works great on my phone and laptop. I can quickly add a thought in the dark without my glasses on my phone! :-) Perfect!

Thanks
Brent

Mohammad

May 7, 2020, 2:48:33 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
@David Gifford

Hi Dave,
 Would you please add the dailynotes to Tiddlywiki Toolmap!
  This is amazing tool!

--Mohammad