bluegill pond/spot for kids fly fishing...

peter odell

Aug 28, 2013, 10:02:29 AM8/28/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have 2-3 10-12 year olds that want to go fly fishing.  I need a spot that is easy to get to, adequate backcast space, and has a good population of bluegills and small bass (big ones would be fine, but I'm not greedy).  The dam at Burke lake is pretty good except for all the people walking/running/cycling behind you.  Any other great suggestions?

Charles Chi

Aug 28, 2013, 10:13:36 AM8/28/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
When I worked for SACC, we used to take the kids here: http://goo.gl/maps/9kbJu
It was a short walk from the school and there were tons of sunfish there.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Daniel Davala

Aug 28, 2013, 10:17:52 AM8/28/13
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You beat me to it Charles.  I second the Woodglen Lake recommendation.  Also, lake Royal is just around the corner from there and has good fish and access.  Access via Royal Lake Park.

Dan Davala

Luke Peterson

Aug 29, 2013, 8:15:20 AM8/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Are you anywhere near Holmes Run? Super-accessible moving water full of pumpkinseeds and bluegills in all of the bend pools, but most prolifically just upstream from the second trail crossing (from Lake Barcroft). Also you'll find an occasional bass. And maybe maybe maybe up at the head a holdover stocked trout that's been hanging out in the deep pool by the big boulder above the Columbia Pike bridge (I saw one in its last throes of life last August).

It's extremely easy, shallow wading, and if the kids are outfitted with polarized shades it's just sight-casting. Hang out until you start to see the bluegills school, then just toss flies over them from 8 feet away -- no need for a back cast, more just like a dip -- might as well use a 6' stick with a bit of tippet on the end. These are hungry, relatively unpressured fish but they are somewhat picky: I would tie a different pattern onto each kid's line (2 dries and a nymph perhaps) and see what's working, then switch everybody over to proven patterns once you start to get strikes.

Neil Chilson

Aug 8, 2020, 4:53:48 PM8/8/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Any recent intel on the Woodglen Lake and Holmes Run recommendations above? Trying to get the wife into fly fishing and want to hit a high probability spot (size and species don't matter) this weekend. Saw Bull Run recommendations in other threads...

Any thoughts?

Casey Peltier

Aug 8, 2020, 7:18:52 PM8/8/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Your wife will never fish again if you go to Holmes Run...the smell is strong in summertime!

😝

> On Aug 8, 2020, at 4:53 PM, Neil Chilson <chi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any recent intel on the Woodglen Lake and Holmes Run recommendations above? Trying to get the wife into fly fishing and want to hit a high probability spot (size and species don't matter) this weekend. Saw Bull Run recommendations in other threads...
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --
> https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tpfr.org%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C164088b6cbb44b6f391908d83bdd258f%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637325168279450584&amp;sdata=RDGfeVw1QT6veCs9IAHyciGyX%2BXa8%2FUD%2BrbDshIkWFU%3D&amp;reserved=0
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Ftidal-potomac-fly-rodders%2Fdb5e669f-de93-42ee-a9f7-80bad7344d02o%2540googlegroups.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C164088b6cbb44b6f391908d83bdd258f%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637325168279450584&amp;sdata=NhISLToK7fQF439BT7qH5lDviuNhN1NRydHq%2BezOYL0%3D&amp;reserved=0.

Neil Chilson

Aug 10, 2020, 2:14:42 PM8/10/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm really glad we decided to go to Woodglen lake, then!  She caught 3 bluegills on a dry fly - after switching away from nymphs which they just hit every single time.  We had a great time.

peter odell

Aug 11, 2020, 8:10:37 AM8/11/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Lake Ridge Marina (near occaquan/woodbridge) has a bundle of fishing piers, and there seems to be many more bluegills there than a couple of recent trips to burke lake.

I used my 2wt on sunday, so the bigger bluegills hit and fought like tigers!