October 21, 2017 - Legends of the Fly Saltwater Fly Fishing Tournament

Charlie Church

Jul 25, 2017, 9:42:45 AM7/25/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This year's tournament will be on October 21st. It will again be a team tournament, although tickets are sold individually so you can fish it solo if you want. Last year, I think we had about 40 anglers and we are hoping to grow that number this year. It'd be great to see some TPFR representation in the tournament. If you are interested in fishing it and need spot advice or lodging advice, shoot me a DM. There are some great wade spots as well as kayak spots that could easily put up a slam.

What:
Slam Tournament with prizes for Slam (Striper, Speck, Red), Biggest Striper, Biggest Red, Biggest Trout and Biggest Junior Slam. Bluefish is the wildcard if no one completes a slam.

Where:
The captains meeting is in Virginia Beach on Friday, October 20th. If you can't make it, we can arrange to get an identifier to you. Lines out at 4pm with cards due by 5 pm at Chix Oyster Bar. Free food comes with your ticket. Also expect good deals on silent auction items.

Why:
Mid-october is one of the best times for saltwater fishing in the lower bay. Last year, a team from JMU who had never fished this area (and was boatless) won the redfish division. All money raised from the tournament will be donated to Project Healing Waters. There will be a good amount of fly anglers on the water so it's a great time to meet people and learn the area while also having a shot at winning some prizes.

How much:
$85 per adult
$35 per Junior

Charlie Church

Sep 19, 2017, 9:50:48 AM9/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Well the tournament is approaching and I have two updates related to it.

The first one is huge. Mossy Creek and Sage have donated a Sage Salt HD 8 wt, a Spectrum Max reel and a Rio Flats Pro fly line to be raffled off online as a fundraiser for Project Healing Waters. All funds raised by it go directly to Project Healing Waters.

Tickets are $25 and are available online. The drawing is at the weigh in for the tournament. That being said, if you don't enter the tournament or can't make it, we will reach out to you and ship you the outfit.

Tickets are available here:
https://www.legendsofthefly.com/mossy-creek-sage-raffle/

The other update is more of a fishing update. As I think some of you are aware, the inshore fishery in Virginia has great years and down years. 2015 / 2016 weren't great years for the puppy drum / specks.

That being said, this year has been awesome. The warm winter really helped and reds/trout are everywhere. I think I have tagged 75 reds this year or somewhere close to that with the average fish right now being 21 - 23 inches big.  On top of that, the schoolie fishing has been great. A lot of those 14 - 17 inch fish from last year are now 18 - 22 inches.

Tickets for the tournament are available here:
https://www.legendsofthefly.com/the-tournament/

The moon phase (new) and tides for that weekend (midday high) are very good so unless the weather doesn't cooperate, it should be a perfect weekend to chase some saltwater species.

Charlie Church

Oct 23, 2017, 11:07:53 AM10/23/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Adding results to this thread.

Slam Winner:
Kyle Sawyer and Billy Ragulsky with a 25 inch red, 19 inch speck and 15 inch striper (from kayaks also)

Speckled Trout Winner:
Brian Trow and Art Greason with a 21 inch Speck.

Red Drum Winner:
George Hughes and Craig Miller with a 24.5 inch red

Striped Bass Winner:
David and Steven (forgot last names) with a 22 inch striper

We had 25 teams enter with a total of 50 anglers. I think the total money raised for project healing waters is north of 7k.

Multiple slams were caught on fly including one from a team from JMU (on kayaks) that won the junior division. Fishing was very good with every participant catching fish. Lots of specks between 18-20- were caught, a few nice reds and a decent amount of stripers. Most of the reds were actaully caught sight casting to them with flies, something I know most people think you have to go further south to do.