Harpers Ferry?

Kevin B

Sep 27, 2017, 9:14:39 AM9/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm a beginner (and not very good) fly fisherman.  I've been fishing on the Potomac above DC several times this summer with little (= small sunfish) success.  I've heard that Harpers Ferry is mecca for smallmouth wade fishing.  Went up Sunday afternoon with no luck but am thinking about taking off Friday afternoon for one more try at wet wading before the weather cools too much.

Will it be worth my time?  Any advice?  A guy at White Fly outfitters up there said clousers are their go-to fly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Morgan Cosgrove

Sep 27, 2017, 12:41:26 PM9/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've been phishing Harpers Ferry pretty regularly this summer. After a few years of being a strictly trout binge, I caved and bought a warmwater rod. It was a great choice. DC/potomac is a great fishery, with lots of options. One thing I've learned about fishing for smallies is that they feed and act way different than trout, so it def took me some time and adjustment.

This summer I've had better luck on the SF of the Shenandoah, but Harpers Ferry is great too. Things I've noticed up there lately: fish long leaders. Since the water is low, the bass are pretty spooky when they see large disturbances where they are hanging. Longer leaders will also be easier to cast. Fish poppers. If you are new to fly fishing it will  be easier to see your fly and dictate you casts with a popper. Cast it up stream and let it dead drift. As it gets to the end of the pool/cast retrieve it slowly. Colors - Blue, white, last week I used black with yellow legs. The big runs and pools middle river are attractive, and hold lots of fish, but above town hammer the water near the weed/grass beds. If it's low and hot, they move to where they can find cover. There are fish in the middle of the river, but with all the tubers, kayaks ect they tend to be much more spooked and hesitant to feed. I've had my best luck near dusk, 5-dark. They will hit flies all day, but these rivers have the tendency to be very hot and cold. 10 mins of lots of action 30 mins with nothing.

 Harpers is certainly worth your time, but can take some adjustment. Good luck.

vladimir polivanov

Sep 27, 2017, 4:31:19 PM9/27/17
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
I'd say it's worth your while. Harpers Ferry is not the fishery it once was back in day. But still a good spot. Personally I'm a big fan of Chuck Kraft patterns
You may want to try some CK Baitfish , strip it in a few times then pause and let the fly flutter as if it were a injured and/or dying minnow.Also maybe try a Crittermite pattern try dead drifting it . That's my 2 cents

Vladimir ( Vo )

--
http://www.tpfr.org

ALarge

Sep 27, 2017, 5:19:30 PM9/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Kevin- Do yourself a favor and invest in this book: Wade and Shoreline Fishing the Potomac River for Smallmouth Bass: Chain Bridge to Harpers Ferry by Steve Moore

It's got lots of good options to fish between here and Harper's Ferry, and includes some maps of the areas where wading is possible (and perhaps more importantly- the areas where wading is impossible).

I'll second clousers for smallmouth. Hellgramite and crawdad imitations are good on the Potomac, also. Target the faster runs and chutes in between boulders in the Harper's Ferry area and vary your retrieve speed until you figure out what speed they are reacting to. Remember: smallmouth are aggressive ambush predators -they make quick, instinctual reaction strikes.

On Sep 27, 2017 9:14 AM, "Kevin B" <kevinbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm a beginner (and not very good) fly fisherman.  I've been fishing on the Potomac above DC several times this summer with little (= small sunfish) success.  I've heard that Harpers Ferry is mecca for smallmouth wade fishing.  Went up Sunday afternoon with no luck but am thinking about taking off Friday afternoon for one more try at wet wading before the weather cools too much.

Will it be worth my time?  Any advice?  A guy at White Fly outfitters up there said clousers are their go-to fly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Sep 28, 2017, 8:52:02 AM9/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'll second ALarge's book recommendation it's available not only softbound, but as a PDF you can keep on your phone/tablet. You might also wish to invest in this map, http://bit.ly/2fBzMWw too. Personally I like fishing the Weverton sector downstream of the 340 bridge.

Mark

Rob Snowhite

Sep 28, 2017, 9:32:49 AM9/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That water is going to be crystal clear. Have fun up there. Be sure to fish hellgrammites/black buggers.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Morgan Cosgrove

Sep 28, 2017, 9:57:11 AM9/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
All good points. I will say the biggest fish I've caught this year on the potomac have all been on crawfish/hellgrammites.

Vo - why do you say Harpers Ferry is not the fishery it used to be back in the day?

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 5:19:30 PM UTC-4, ALarge wrote:

--
http://www.tpfr.org

vladimir polivanov

Sep 28, 2017, 4:05:58 PM9/28/17
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders

To answer Morgan's question about why Harpers Ferry is not the Fishery it used to be, my best guess is : First the area gets much more fishing pressure then it did 20 plus years go. And too many people are keeping the Smallmouth Bass they catch including poaching. Second assume the intersexing ( not sure if this the correct term ) is having an  negative on the population, basically because of pollution there is a percentage of the Smallmouth Bass which are hermaphroditic.

I've been fishing Harpers Ferry since I was in High School . It was definitely a much more productive fishery when I was in High School and College ( University of Maryland ). Not just my experience, others fishing buddies of mine who grew up in this area.
And who have fishing Harpers Ferry as long as I have, if not longer would agree.

Vo

On Sep 28, 2017 9:57 AM, "Morgan Cosgrove" <cosgrov...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Kevin B

Sep 29, 2017, 9:48:56 AM9/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have already invested in that book - have used it several times in my attempts to find fishing places this summer.  Thanks for the recommendation.

vladimir polivanov