Gila National Forest, NM

BW

Apr 23, 2014, 2:31:38 PM4/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking about doing a back country camping trip in Gila National Forest in NM.  Figured I'd bring my fly rod.  Anyone ever been or done any fishing out there?

Deadbait

Apr 26, 2014, 10:19:18 AM4/26/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
BW - are you a member of Trout Unlimited? If so I would suggest you look up local Phoenix-area chapters and see if there's a member who might point you to the good trout streams there. The Gila trout is a native trout to the national forest (as well as the Apache trout I believe but much rarer), but you will also find cutthroat up there I believe. Definitely bring a flyrod - 4wt with you. Just check the regs - things may be different after the wildfires there a couple years back.

If you're in Phoenix and Gila seems too remote, head up to Sedona (2 hr drive) and fish Oak Creek. Its just beautiful with the red rocks above you and the wary trout below you.

Good luck!
Message has been deleted

Terry C

Apr 26, 2014, 10:49:02 PM4/26/14
On Saturday, April 26, 2014 10:39:50 PM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
> I use to belong to a group out of Messa Az. 25 years ago called The Desert Fly Casters. Good group of people. Google them and see if they have a web page. If so they may be able to help you.

pmk00001

Apr 28, 2014, 11:12:11 AM4/28/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I think that area was hit really hard by fire in 2012, I definitely try and find some recent info on that before you go.

blee

Apr 29, 2014, 11:10:48 AM4/29/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey I don't comment much here anymore, but since moving back to NM I try to respond to anything in the area if I can help.  Fires or not fishing is tough in the Gila.  If backpacking is your main focus, you are going to the right place.  Its one of the most amazing places to visit.  The isolation and remoteness means very few backcountry visitors compared to most other backpacking spots in the lower 48.  Snow lake is stocked, and the adjacent streams (Gilita creek, etc.) have fish, including the Gila trout.  You must have the free Gila trout permit along with your license to fish certain streams where there might be Gila trout.  The particulars are listed at NMDG&F.
Your line weight isn't as critical as rod length.  I fish many very small streams here in NM.  A 7'-6" 3wt. is too much for a fish that can fit on one hand, but what makes it difficult is fishing a stream that isn't as wide as my rod is long.  Special casts are required.  Sometimes no casts are even possible.  Still fun though.  The Gila river itself is wider and provides more casting ease, but could be fairly stained right now.
Flows are increasing now so when you go will be important especially if you plan on crossing streams to get into the back country, which is basically how you do it in the Gila.
Sit in a hot spring if you can.  Turkey creek hot spring is truly amazing.
Good luck.
BH.