Smallmouth near Fletchers?

Barracuda

Jun 30, 2021, 4:41:19 PM6/30/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Anyone fish for smallmouth in the Chain Bridge to below-Fletchers area -- from shore?

Obviously no wading in this stretch. My impression is that the Virginia side may be the better area for smallmouth, but I've never tried to fish from shore there.I know there's a trail that runs along the river (Potomac Heritage?), but I'm not quite sure where you can access it.

Plus, it doesn't look like there's any room for a backcast on most of the shoreline, even for spin fishermen. Maybe good Skagit casters can get a decent cast off?

Definitely not looking for any secrets -- just that I wish someone would dissuade me from even bothering if they know it ain't gonna be worth the trouble...

Williard, David

Jun 30, 2021, 4:54:09 PM6/30/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

You can access it from a trail in Potomac Overlook Regional Park going down Donaldson Run.

There’s also a death-defying vertical trail at the first overlook on GW Parkway.

Deep water close to the bank. But never fished from there.

Jun 30, 2021, 7:20:12 PM6/30/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
David,

Pm me or shoot me an email.

Sent from my iPhone

Yambag Nelson

Jun 30, 2021, 11:20:57 PM6/30/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Probably not worth the trouble if you are expecting great fishing but if you are looking to get out and wet a line why not?  I don't know how much fletchers charges for kayaks/canoes now, but I would do that and fish the VA shoreline.

Summertime fishing has been better in the canal than the river for me.

caca...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2021, 1:33:14 PM7/8/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
From a Kayak mind you,  but i have had some luck on the far VA shore of the fletchers where its the widest.  there is a deep gravelly channel there along the shore.  10' deep or so.  I was just drifting tubes and neds rigs on spinning gear and got a bunch.  Have no idea about how to get down there from shore though.   They are in there for sure.  Some big ones
 too if you can find them.  The currents sure can make it a challenge to fish though.