Floating the Potomac Recomendations

marke...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2017, 6:52:22 PM8/6/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Does anyone have any recommendations on which sections of the Potomac are the best to float in a raft or drift boat? I have some friends planning to visit me here in DC and thought it would be fun to try floating the Popmac for smallies while they're here but was sure if it was possible.

Thanks,
Mark

Evan D

Aug 6, 2017, 8:44:16 PM8/6/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Brunswick to Lander or Point of Rocks. Lots of fish in those sections and a pretty good/easy float.

DontCallMeEd

Aug 7, 2017, 9:03:45 AM8/7/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Algonkian to Riverbend is a float to consider. The shuttle is kind of long, and the first stretch is flat water. You'll have to push through it to Seneca Breaks. At low water, Seneca Breaks could be tricky to get a drift boat through. I would recommend the raft. That said, I’ve found the fishing to be good, particularly on the Virginia side.

P.S. If President Trump, or other "high ranking officials" are playing golf up there, they will shut down access to the river.