A Noob at 4MR

Steve Sucher

Dec 23, 2013, 12:28:53 PM12/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My first post to TPFR was a little over a week ago asking for some info on 4MR to go fishing w/ my brother who was in town for a short time.
Rob Snowhite was kind enough to meet us on the water and show us some points of interest, hang out & get our lines wet. This was my first time fly fishing & Rob gave me some great pointer which I promptly forgot.
Later I went to Orvis and was helped by a bearded feller picking out some tying materials so I could spend the rest of the evening having a "Whiskey Tie" with my brother.
Little did I know that helpful feller was none other than the club's President Dan!

I got back on the water on Friday and it was gorgeous out. We fished the treatment outlet and my brother did much better than I. However I did catch a cool little fish I have no idea what it was & I failed to get a picture.
It has a torpedo shaped body, yellow eyes, and was like a white fish that have ginger colored patterning on it much like the strips of a musky. Also he felt much "softer" than say a bluegill or bass which are quite firm. Any ideas?
As sunset was approaching we strolled down to the bridge & fished the power line "island"   There was a nice bass in there that had no interest in my offerings but I got into several fun bluegill on a 5wt & my brother got some surface action.
Upon driving home I listened to Rob's Podcast on casting analogies & was able to apply them to everything I did wrong. (and Luke Skywalker had a yellow lightsaber :P )  Which was, everything except managing to get my fly onto the water. Second time ever fly fishing & I only snapped off 2 copper John's and a pheasant tail.  I say that was worth the half dozen fish caught & quality time spent.
Thanks for all the advice and hints I received. I'm looking forward to becoming a fly fisherman.

Great afternoon & some fun times. I hope ya'll enjoy the video I put together.

http://youtu.be/Ac0OME94Z2k

John Smith

Dec 23, 2013, 3:47:08 PM12/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting that. I have never fished 4MR before but have certainly heard about it on this site. Nice to see what it looks like.  Wonder if i could pole my skiff up there?? Of course i wouldnt want to infringe on the walk in crowd. Hope to see more videos.

RK

Dec 26, 2013, 8:22:03 AM12/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've seen spin fishermen motor up to the outlet at high tide, so I'd say yes.

Aaron O

Dec 26, 2013, 10:17:44 AM12/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Steve,

     Welcome to the club and thanks for the fun video.  Great choice of music!

Aaron