Jersey Shore fishing

Bobby Davis

Jun 27, 2017, 9:11:06 AM6/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know if there is any opportunities to fly fish for something in the tidal marshes in South Jersey?  Heading to the beach this weekend and would love to have a reason to bring the whippy stick.

Patrick Reilly

Jun 27, 2017, 10:26:54 AM6/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Same here! I'll be in the Central Jersey near Lavalette if anyone has any suggestions.

Bobby Davis

Jun 27, 2017, 10:29:01 AM6/27/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'll be near Cape May and Wildwood, for reference.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew Sarcinello

Jun 27, 2017, 11:23:17 AM6/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm not super familiar with that area but I have fished it before. From what I gather, you can definitely find snapper blues, maybe stripers, and definitely flounder if you feel like dredging with heavy clousers. Bring bug repellent!!! Tried to walk to a spot in a marsh last year in the evening and got eaten alive.

Luke M.

Jun 27, 2017, 6:42:23 PM6/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm heading up to Wildwood Crest Thursday night. I'm planning on fishing the jetty at Cold Spring inlet. You have to access the beach from the WW Crest side at the Coast Guard gate along Ocean Drive. I'm going to park in the lot and then walk south down the path to the beach and then to the rocks. It's a long walk, but that's one of the few spots I can imagine that will be holding fish this time of year that you can get to without a boat.

I'd love some company. Happy to try any other spots.

I will say that I haven't fished much from shore there, and am a novice when it comes to saltwater fly fishing.

Shoot me an email: lmcc...@gmail.com. Maybe we can coordinate one morning.

Evan D

Jun 28, 2017, 2:46:06 PM6/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've put in some time at Corsons Inlet in Ocean City. There is a large community of fly fisherman there and you can usually find someone willing to share some tips. Ive caught fluke and bluefish there pretty consistently by throwing heavy streamers, as Andrew says. Lots of fly fisherman love fishing there at 4:30am for striper and apparently do well. I haven't yet won the battle with my pillow to make it out that early.

Good luck!

Bobby Davis

Jun 28, 2017, 2:49:34 PM6/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Evan, do you know of any tackle shops down there that have sell fly gear and would have someone in the know, so to speak ?

Rob Snowhite

Jun 28, 2017, 3:13:12 PM6/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We just booked a weekend at my cousins place at the shore. My priority is a sandwich here http://franksdelinj.com/ and maybe some surf fishing.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Evan D

Jun 28, 2017, 7:09:28 PM6/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Bobby (and Rob),

I don't know any reliable fly fishing shops; however, Finactics in OCNJ is a good all around fishing shop and can give you plenty of tips. The thing with saltwater is finding fish - once you find them your chance of hooking up, regardless of fishing method, skyrockets. I've been carrying both a spin rod and a fly rod. The spin rod is great for prospecting and covering water. Once you find the fish, break out the fly rod.

Rob, enjoy the food. And I hope you catch a huge shark in the surf!

Good luck!
Evan

Carl Z.

Jun 29, 2017, 1:30:16 AM6/29/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You had me excited about Jersey Shore, PA.   There's good fishing up there.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bobby Davis

Tim Donaldson

Jun 29, 2017, 11:03:04 AM6/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Against my protests the wife has decided we are going to LBI for the 4th. I'm going to bring my surf setup and fish super early mornings. Anyone done this? Do you get hassled by lifeguards of anyone else at 3:30 am?

Bobby Davis

Jun 29, 2017, 11:05:16 AM6/29/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My dad and I have fished from the beach in the mornings and never had a problem.

Bobby Davis