Pond of Giants

Marek

Sep 16, 2009, 1:32:22 PM9/16/09
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey fellas,

I'm fairly new to this group, but have enjoyed reading up on some
popular holes, fishing techniques and overall banter. While I was
introduced and raised to fly-fishing purely for trout, which I love to
do in the Spring and Fall, living in downtown Washington, DC makes for
some logistical and seasonal challenges. However, now that I've found
this site and have found success on some of the spots people have
shared, I though I would "pay it forward" and introduce a local spot
I've come to really enjoy.

That said, one day I parked my car near Old Angler's Inn towards the
end of MacArthur Blvd where most Marylander's know is the start of the
"Billy Goat Trail" (a popular hiking trail). I parked my car, loaded
up my gear and headed out towards the canal where I knew a few 100
yards later it opened into a larger lake. I tried fishing around a
bridge near the middle of the lake and had some moderate success,
coupled with some usual and annoying snags. While fishing a younger
kid walked past and we got to talking. He said he knew of a great pond
just a short walk from the bridge. The pond he said had monster fish -
15 pound carp, 3-5 pound large mouth and some good size smallies.
Interested I followed him over a small dam-type structure and down a
feeder stream off the lake to this "fishy" looking pond. He set up
shop on the far side as I surveyed the pond. His second and third
casts produced fish and I was quickly a believer. While that first day
proved more frustrating than exhilarating, I liked the location and
knew it held fish. As such, I loaded up on streamers, poppers and
other pond-friendly weaponry and went back to the pond a few days
later. Sure enough it was devoid of any other fisherman and produced
the largest fish I've ever caught on a fly-rod.

gotascii

Sep 17, 2009, 2:13:22 PM9/17/09
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Marek,

I created a map that shows what I think is the location of this pond.
Could you take a look and verify before I add it to the map?
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=38.982493,-77.237079&spn=0.002906,0.006968&t=h&z=18&msid=112784008184145837904.000473c9f4393743a0098

Thanks!
Justin

Rich, Marek

Sep 17, 2009, 2:25:20 PM9/17/09
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Well done, Justin. That's it! I sent the below directions to another member of the group. Perhaps you know of a way to attached them?

Park across from the Old Angler's Inn (can get crowded on weekends) and make your way across the canal via the bridge. Turn right after the bridge and walk along the canal for approx 500 yards. The canal opens up into a "lake" and at the very beginning of this lake you'll see a drainage structure in the water. While the back cast is difficult, I've pulled some nice fish from this spot.

After a few cast and you get sick of the joggers and walkers asking questions, walk another 700 yards along the lake until you get to another bridge. Once at the middle of the bridge look out over the smaller section of water (on your left) and you'll see a dam-type structure. Make note of this, as you'll need to cross this later in order to access the pond. While on the bridge look to down to your left. You'll notice a nice shelf from which to stand and fish this nice, quiet section of water that is very fishy and has produced some small mouths for me in the past. Please note this is a very exposed area where tons of people walk/jog by. If you don't like the attention, simply bypass it for the pond.

After a few casts at that spot, make your way towards the dam. You should pick up a trail that leads to it (listen for the water flow). Cross the dam and make your way downstream. Simply follow the path which runs along side it until you reach the pond.

Fishing the pond with a fly-rod is challenging, but certainly rewarding (see my pictures on the site). I like to fish around the mouth of the pond, where the feeder stream enters. If the water has some clarity, you can see bass and extremely large carp feeding in this section. The pond also holds tons of bluegil, so choose your fly accordingly or you'll be pulling up these fish all day. I also like to fish around the lily pads. I would strongly encourage you to make your way around to the far side of the pond and fish the ponds exit point. This spot has produced more fish than anywhere else - particularly the shallow stream off the pond. This exit point (before the walker's bridge) always holds 1-2 monsters. It's a challenge with the fly, but again, worth it.

gotascii

Sep 17, 2009, 4:26:13 PM9/17/09
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This is perfect! With the tides lining up at off hours the next few
days some evening pond fishing sounds fly-snaggingly awesome. I added
the point to the main map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=112784008184145837904.0004702ce9013fac413bb&ll=38.981743,-77.236724&spn=0.003011,0.006968&z=18
with a link to this conversation on the point details. Thanks Rich!

On Sep 17, 2:25 pm, "Rich, Marek" <mr...@hbwgroup.com> wrote:
> Well done, Justin. That's it! I sent the below directions to another member of the group. Perhaps you know of a way to attached them?
>
> Park across from the Old Angler's Inn (can get crowded on weekends) and make your way across the canal via the bridge. Turn right after the bridge and walk along the canal for approx 500 yards. The canal opens up into a "lake" and at the very beginning of this lake you'll see a drainage structure in the water. While the back cast is difficult, I've pulled some nice fish from this spot.
>
> After a few cast and you get sick of the joggers and walkers asking questions, walk another 700 yards along the lake until you get to another bridge. Once at the middle of the bridge look out over the smaller section of water (on your left) and you'll see a dam-type structure. Make note of this, as you'll need to cross this later in order to access the pond. While on the bridge look to down to your left. You'll notice a nice shelf from which to stand and fish this nice, quiet section of water that is very fishy and has produced some small mouths for me in the past. Please note this is a very exposed area where tons of people walk/jog by. If you don't like the attention, simply bypass it for the pond.
>
> After a few casts at that spot, make your way towards the dam. You should pick up a trail that leads to it (listen for the water flow). Cross the dam and make your way downstream. Simply follow the path which runs along side it until you reach the pond.
>
> Fishing the pond with a fly-rod is challenging, but certainly rewarding (see my pictures on the site). I like to fish around the mouth of the pond, where the feeder stream enters. If the water has some clarity, you can see bass and extremely large carp feeding in this section. The pond also holds tons of bluegil, so choose your fly accordingly or you'll be pulling up these fish all day. I also like to fish around the lily pads. I would strongly encourage you to make your way around to the far side of the pond and fish the ponds exit point. This spot has produced more fish than anywhere else - particularly the shallow stream off the pond. This exit point (before the walker's bridge) always holds 1-2 monsters. It's a challenge with the fly, but again, worth it.

Brian

Sep 18, 2009, 12:17:10 PM9/18/09
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Guess I'll have to break down and get a Maryland license for this one!

gotascii

Sep 19, 2009, 8:54:12 AM9/19/09
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I went and checked this pond out yesterday, caught a handful of dinks
and only saw one bass worth catching. There are several spots to cast
from and I was able to cover most of the pond, which was nice as I was
expecting no backcasting room. Rich, any advice on flies or
technique? I just can't seem to figure out how to fish stillwater
effectively.

Marek

Sep 21, 2009, 2:14:30 PM9/21/09
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm glad many of you have had an opportunity to fish this pond. The
most success I've had was in July and August fishing dragon fly
imitations. Poppers and wholly buggers, too. That said, stillwater is
a challenge. For this pond though, I would encourage fishing entry and
exit points with streamers, wholly's and the like. I would also focus
around structure. Try to alternate your fishing, too. Meaning cast a
few times at structure, then back into another section.

While the weather is still decent and the water temps up, fishing
around Pennyfield Lock and Violettes Lock is always fun.

Good luck!

Marek
> > Guess I'll have to break down and get a Maryland license for this one!- Hide quoted text -

jpbarr

Sep 20, 2017, 1:27:31 PM9/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
After looking through some older posts and the google map, I decided to scout out what someone here called the "Pond of Giants." With a name like that, how can I resist?

The original post had detailed instructions on how to get there. Basically, it's over bear the Billy Goat trail bear Carderock. Unfortunately, I couldn't test the instructions because what was obviously the trail we were supposed to take was roped off with a sign to please use the official trail. In my youth, maybe I would have jumped it, bury with my 13 year old boy standing next to me, I decided to obey the rules (and possibly the law).

So we hopped on the Billy Goat trailhead nearest the parking area. I now believe it's called the Billy Goat trail because need to be a billy goat to hike it! It took us about an hour to make it to the pond, with lots of ups and downs on the way.

Almost immediately, I saw the last inch or 2 of something huge and slow (probably a carp) heading for cover under the lilly pads. We took our shots with a variety of poppers, streamers, and everything in between. My son gave up chasing monster carp and bass and targeted the pan fish hanging out near the banks and pulled in a half dozen blue gill. I kept trying for the big ones and came up empty.

All in all, if you can get there, there are a couple of big lunkers in there, but getting there is no simple task. And you have to put up with spectators who have never seen a live fly angler before. I don't mind too much, but I'd rather not have people watching my ugly casts, uglier given the right space for back casting.

I'm not sure I'd do it again, the hike took its toll, including losing the sole from one of my ancient work boots on the way back. If they re-open the short cut, I might take a shot, though. Those were big fish in there.

Best of luck!!

-Jim

Marek Rich

Sep 20, 2017, 2:49:01 PM9/20/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Thanks for your post. It's been years since I wrote that and it brought back some fond memories!

I wasn't aware that they blocked that short-cut, as the small stream leading to the pond has one or 2 decent pools to fish along the way.

Fish definitely spook in that pond, and I've experienced my best luck at dusk. Spring, after a big rain....

Marek
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew R

Sep 20, 2017, 2:59:50 PM9/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Jim,

Thanks for sharing. The Pool of Giants...miss that place.

This was one of my go to spots when I first started fly-fishing. Loved taking my dog out there and roaming the woods without having to have him on a leash. Didn't realize they closed off the old dam but it doesn't surprise me. There's a couple other small ponds with bass in them (no idea how they got there) in the woods around there, away from the Billy Goat Trail. May have to venture over there sometime soon when I visit my parents out in Bethugsda.

Andrew R

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 2:49:01 PM UTC-4, Marek wrote:
Jim,

Thanks for your post. It's been years since I wrote that and it brought back some fond memories!

I wasn't aware that they blocked that short-cut, as the small stream leading to the pond has one or 2 decent pools to fish along the way.

Fish definitely spook in that pond, and I've experienced my best luck at dusk. Spring, after a big rain....

Marek

Worapong Soodsamai

Aug 23, 2018, 8:45:10 PM8/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi guys I know this is an old post but wonder if the maps is still relevant? From what I can gather, are the yellow pins the parking/access and blue pins the general fishing spot? I’ve taken up Tenkara and am new to fly fishing in general. Thanks a lot.

Art

Jacob Denney

Aug 25, 2018, 4:24:23 PM8/25/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am new to this group and fly fishing generally. Fished that pool last week - definitely some bigger guys in there, although they eluded me.