Wenatchee, Washington

michael.d...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2013, 9:36:43 AM10/28/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am thinking of visiting the Wenatchee, WA area in the Spring and am wondering about fly fishing opportunities for trout and salmon in that area. The Columbia, Wenatchee, and the Yakima rivers are nearby. Not sure about other streams. I've heard that the Yakima is a "blue ribbon" stream.  Anyone have experience fly fishing in Washington state?

Mike

ryan...@gmx.com

Oct 28, 2013, 10:57:17 PM10/28/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I lived in Washington for 12 years. Although I mainly fished the OP for steel, I have quite a few friends that love the Yak and Wenatchee Rivers. Check out Washintonflyfishng.com. It's a forum with good info. Fishing for steelhead in March and early April is typically very good on the OP rivers but I am less familiar with the eastern/central rivers.

peter odell

Oct 29, 2013, 7:54:13 AM10/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have floated the Yakima with some friends while out in Seattle/Portland for business, and I've fished around Wenatchee for trout  a couple of times when I lived there.  Both nice places, but ones I'd do as a side trip for something else versus a planned trip - too much great water in Idaho and Montana (or Washington's olympic peninsula)  that I haven't explored.  I remember if there is a winter salmon/steelhead run on the Yakima.  I would call  Johnny Boitano at the below guide shop for mor specific info and timing.

Troutwater Fly Shop & Guide Service

www.troutwaterfly.com

509-962-3474 Ellensburg Shop

michael.d...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2013, 9:29:40 AM10/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter,

I am also curious about fly fishing within a couple hours of Spokane, WA...which would reach into Northern Idaho and maybe into Montana...

The Streams on the "wet side" of WA are interesting as well, but I may not be in that area. I understand that Seattle for example is 3+ hours from Wenatchee. A bit of a reach.

Mike

TomG

Oct 29, 2013, 12:07:27 PM10/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Fished the Yakima River years ago when on business in Spokane. Fished the accessible, and very picturesque, Yakima Canyon section between the towns of Ellensburg and Yakima. Route 821, Canyon Road, parallels the river offering good access to the river. If you are in Spokane there are several good fly shops in there including the Blue Dun Fly Fishing Outfitters (509-838-3474).

Brendan

Oct 30, 2013, 10:13:20 AM10/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
One of my favorite rivers in the country is just a little ways up the road... Methow River is beautiful and has some massive golden cutthroats along with a steelhead run. Also, if you take Rt. 2 up through leavenworth into the cascades the wenatchee river and the tributaries up there all have some pretty nice cutthroats and some salmon runs. yakima is always good but lots of very detailed regs that shift monthly on where/how you can fish.

I was out there last fall when they had some massive fires going, and apparently there have been lots of land/mud slides since so might be worth double checking access if you do head up into the hills.

Another option that i highly recommend is doing the 'cascade loop' which you can easily find a ton of info on online. tons of great fishing and beautiful scenery throughout. great option for a 3-5 day fishing vacation.

michael.d...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2013, 9:29:58 AM10/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brenden for the info... sounds like a worthy trip for a group of avid/rabid fly fishermen... ;-)

Mike

michael.d...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2013, 9:32:43 AM10/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Brenden, how does the area look now around Wenatchee due to the forest fires you mentioned.  Is there a lot of noticeable  burned trees?

Luke Moon

Oct 31, 2013, 9:25:47 PM10/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I worked at a fly shop in Seattle when I was growing up and did a ton of fishing all over Washington. The East Cascades should be fine, but depending when you go in the Spring, snow melt can be an issue. The rivers can get more cloudy as the day progresses. The nice thing about those rivers East of the Cascades is that they don't have lots of trees on the banks like back here and on the West side of the Cascades so you can get nice long casts without worry.

Have fun.

-Luke

Brendan

Nov 3, 2013, 1:43:23 PM11/3/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
haven't been out to the east side of the cascades since the fires... they were pretty massive tho. attached (hopefully) are a few pics i snapped while fishing last fall.
methowalta fire1.PNG
8007504770_418b6e5c6e_o.jpg
8008520422_2598e12fd0_b.jpg

Joel Clement

Nov 4, 2013, 9:33:05 PM11/4/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was on the Yakima a few weeks ago, put in at Cle Elum, got some fighty cutthroat and had a blast on a gorgeous stretch of catch and release river. I recommend!

michael.d...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2013, 9:11:09 AM11/5/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Joel,

My impression is that the Yakima is not all that friendly to waders... Have never seen it except in videos and pics and what I have read.  It is apparently the only "blue ribbon" trout stream in Washington State...that is a surprise.

I am considering moving out west someplace to semi retire in the upcoming couple years.. I'm looking for a place near a glider club that has great fly fishing and Western mountain scenery.  For the first time in my life I am seriously considering getting a pick up truck so I can put a pop up camper on it as I intend to spend a great deal of time in the out of doors, a lot of that fly fishing for trout and Salmon..I hope. We'll see.

I keep intending to show up at a Beer Tie...and somehow I keep missing the date.... :-(  I hope to make the next one... I haven't missed it already I hope... :-0!

Did you see the results of the forest fires they had last year?

Mike Vance

Richard Farino

Nov 5, 2013, 10:06:58 AM11/5/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You need to define "friendly to waders".

I fished the Yakima for the first time in the 90's – I was my very FIRST west coast stream that I ever fished.  I met up with a buddy from West Seattle to took me to see the amazing basalt canyons of central Washington, herd of mule deer running thru the valleys and uplands, and of course to spend several nights at Red's Campground.

We parked along the canyon and hiked down to a couple of good spots to wade during lower to normal flows.  It was late summer/early September during a drought year, so that helped.  Lots of hoppers and ants.

Anyway, the wading was tougher trying to straddle rocks here and there, but it was manageable.

Of course, I also said something to him that he NEVER lets me forget…  all my fishing was eastern rivers with smaller gravel/rocks that are worn down over time.  The wading tends to be easier to walk around in.  Of course, in my haste I asked him "All all the rivers out here the same?"  He asked what I meant, and my reply was "You know… with all these big rocks in 'em."

He laughed maniacally and then managed to explain, which I already knew, but it sounded so stupid that he never lets me forget that.

If you're out on the Yak, check out mile posts 18-22 – there are a bunch of rock gardens and the fishing can be good.  You can pretty much wade anywhere along the Yak from the road.

I think you can access the railroad along the other side by MP 9 near the Slab campground.

Have fun.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

--
http://www.tpfr.org

michael.d...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2013, 10:17:14 AM11/6/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Richard, good input.

It appears that late in the growing season (Fall and Winter) would be the best times to plan a trip to wade the Yakima and to expect to float fish it other times...generally speaking..of course there are exceptions. :-)

My focus is also on the Spokane, WA area as that is near the panhandle of Idaho and next to that... Montana.. Legendary streams there for sure.  I am planning my trip sometime in the late Spring.

Will try to attend the next Beer Tie, I've been wanting to do that for some time now..

Mike
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsub...@googlegroups.com.