Quick Cape Cod Trip Report: Stripers/Bluefish on the Fly

Brookes Outdoors

Jul 29, 2022, 1:43:45 PM7/29/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Did a 1/2-day guided trip off the Oceanside of Cape Cod earlier this week…while not peak season (that would be June), got into a good number of stripers and bluefish—sometimes mixed schools of stripers and bluefish.

In those mixed schools, lost a lot of flies due to the toothy blues slicing through the 20# test tippet after a hook-up. That was resolved with a change to a wire leader.

Largest striper brought to the net was 30” and the largest blue was 26”. We were using a 9-wt with a sink line and fishing the rips and wherever the gulls were hitting bait balls.

Got my knuckles rapped more than once by the reel knob/handle when a fish went on an unexpected run—ouch!

If interested, some pics can be found on Facebook “Pete Brookes” and Instagram “Brookes Outdoors.”

Dr. Peter Brookes
Brookes Outdoors
Award-winning Outdoor Media