Stolen Equipment.

MattT

Oct 17, 2014, 10:46:00 AM10/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone,

Just a reminder for folks living in the DC area to be mindful about leaving your equipment in your car. Someone broke into mine last night around the Adams Morgan area and stole my reels, extra spools, fly boxes, all my tools... (left the rods so that's a plus).  Pretty brutal. If anyone sees any super cheap deals for some fly fishing gear that was in a Canon Camera bag, let me know.

I take responsibility for being absent minded enough to forget and leave it in the trunk... but I guess it's a good learning lesson.

Careful with your things.

Matt

Bob Richey

Oct 17, 2014, 12:42:30 PM10/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Man, that sucks.  You might keep an eye on Craigslist, also you can post this story to Prince of Petworth, www.popville.com.  People have gotten their bikes back after posting there when some good samaritan spotted it for sale.

Chris Conner

Oct 18, 2014, 3:11:54 PM10/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's brutal. It's not limited to DC proper either.

A few weeks ago someone cut the lock on my Yamaha 15HP outboard and took it right off my skiff parked in my backyard. Arlington police said there is pretty much nothing they can do.

Thieves suck.

namfos

Oct 21, 2014, 8:46:05 AM10/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A That's Life in the Big City tip: it's probably a good idea not to advertise that there might be stuff in the car worth stealing, namely decals for probably pricey gear, or "elite" fly fishing organizations.etc.

Mark

TurbineBlade

Oct 21, 2014, 9:03:10 AM10/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I have you!

My fly rod cases have the following written in black, capital letters:

CONTAINS LIVE SNAKES

I'm not kidding actually.  Though most people have the common sense to figure out that this warning really doesn't make sense, I guarantee you that *some percentage will not open or even go near the cases (I mean, why take the risk when you may die a gruesome death?).  Paranoia always beats logic.  I've thought about putting one on the truck.

Gene

Greg Feder

Oct 21, 2014, 9:13:55 AM10/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The crappy thing is that guy probably thought he was stealing camera equipment, based on the logo on your bag and the fact that he left the rods.

Oct 21, 2014, 6:37:17 PM10/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, gsf...@yahoo.com
sorry to hear that... probably was a case of mistaken identity as suggested earlier.

Had my car broken into a few years ago with all my gear in it... thankfully they took a barely working cheap jvc camcorder and an old leather jacket... ignoring the significantly more valuable collection of fly fishing gear in the back.

keep an eye on the local pawnshops and craigslist.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Oct 22, 2014, 9:14:40 AM10/22/14