Greenbrier

Lane Smith

May 13, 2022, 10:21:56 AM5/13/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Everybody!

My wife and I are hitting the Greenbrier for Memorial Day weekend. I've been searching online for any guides regarding spots to try on the property / flies / equipmunk, but haven't found anything helpful tbh. Has anyone been?

Sincerely,

Lane Smith

Doug Graebner

May 13, 2022, 12:12:38 PM5/13/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I haven't, but the Jackson is fairly close to there if you want to shell out for a guide/access. I think Duncan McGrath knows that area extremely well too, and may be worth contacting.

Andrew LaVigne

May 13, 2022, 12:57:53 PM5/13/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished Greenbrier several years back - the stream on the property is called Howard's Creek. It's a super-simple stocked stream - looks like it was an existing spring creek, and they dug out a bunch of pools to create easy spots.  Not a ton of flow when I went, but it might be better now. You'd be fine with woolly buggers, a couple of attractor nymphs, some terrestrials, and maybe some sulphurs. 4 or 5 weight is fine. 4-6x tippet.

There's a little excursion shop in the resort that has a small selection of flies & basic gear, and you have to go through them to reserve time on the water.

Off-property, the lower end of Howard Creek meets up with the Greenbrier river. That lower section of Howard's was pretty easy wading, and was absolutely full of 6-10 inch smallmouth bass. Minnows, poppers, nymphs - typical SMB fare is fine. The main river is supposed to be decent fishing, but I was wading, so didn't cover enough water to get a full read on it. Canoe rentals are available in the area.