Coming from California

Brian Boomer

Sep 10, 2015, 5:16:47 AM9/10/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi all! I live in California and happily call the Kings and Kern rivers in the Central Sierra's my regular fishing spots. I will be headed out to DC for a business trip (I work for a college and am meeting up with the National Science Foundation) - I fly in on September 16th - get there about 4pm - stay the 17th - in conference from 8-5 - and then leave the afternoon of the 18th after a half day conference. It's a major bummer that my first trip to the nation's capital has to be so short-lived. Of course, I want to see all the tourist attractions but my first thought when hearing about the trip? Where am I going to fish? That's how I stumbled upon this group, which, from the little I've read seems like a really cool thing - I wish they had beerties where I'm from!

Anywho, on to my reason for posting here. I am wondering what advice I can get from you all as being totally new to the area. Further, I suppose, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in hitting the water with me - or will be in the same area at the same time? I'm betting my only likely time to fish will be on the evening of the 17th. I'll be staying at the Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn and I've noticed from your awesome map that it's relatively close to the "Pentagon Marina Upper Inlet" and across the Potomac from the "C&O Canal Outlet."

Should I be trying one of these spots?

Should I take my 5wt (9') trout outfit or bass (7'11") 10wt outfit? Most of my gear is extremely light in comparison (2-4wt).

Do you guys wade in these locations? Is it worth bringing waders and boots?

Anyone want to fish?

Thanks for your time,

Brian Boomer

namfos

Sep 10, 2015, 8:50:42 AM9/10/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Brian:

You need work on your business travel schedule so that it will bring you back to DC during the shad run in the spring.

Mark

Yambag Nelson

Sep 10, 2015, 8:58:38 AM9/10/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Will you have any type of transportation or will you be limited to metro accessible spots?

Either way, bring the 5 weight.  A ten weight is overkill.

Lane Thurgood

Sep 10, 2015, 9:42:41 AM9/10/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I will be in a course all day and evening on the 17th or I would love to show you around.  Bring the 5-weight.  You can walk across Key Bridge into Georgetown and jump on the C&O Canal, probably heading upriver.  You should find plenty of action.  Small poppers would work, but so would attractor nymphs, buggers and most anything else.  You can get a DC fishing license online.

Brian Boomer

Sep 11, 2015, 12:07:53 AM9/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was reading an article about the shad run off of Fletcher's Cove - sounds amazing!

Brian Boomer

Sep 11, 2015, 12:09:21 AM9/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I believe most of my travel will be either by metro or taxi - I'm not familiar with the area so I suspect I'll be grabbing taxis when I can. Good thing I'll get reimbursed for it!

Thanks for the tip, 5wt it is!

Brian Boomer

Sep 11, 2015, 12:11:56 AM9/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Awesome, thank you, Lane. I'll try what you've suggested here. I'll make sure to get a license before I head out.

Any thoughts on wading? Most pictures I've seen are people fishing from rowboats/canoes/kayaks.

Jeff Cook

Sep 11, 2015, 4:45:11 AM9/11/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Get the Uber app for your a smartphone. Very active in DC.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Sep 11, 2015, 7:18:12 AM9/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have to agree with Yambag and go with the 5-weight between those 2 choices.  As far as locations, I'd go with Lane's advice and check out the C & O canal.  It's a culturally significant, unqiue place to fish and access is extremely easy.  You don't want to be wading in it near Georgetown, but casting from the bank isn't bad.  If you really want to fish in DC in a truly weird setting, check out the constitution gardens for sunfish (it's right along the national mall), or maybe the tidal basin.....though it's hit-and-miss and every tourist will ask you questions, even though you're also a tourist.

I would personally NOT fish the main Potomac, since it's deep, of limited access, limited backcasting space, and not really at all ideal for fly tackle on foot.  Not with a single hand rod anyway.  That's just my preference.

Gene

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 5:16:47 AM UTC-4, Brian Boomer wrote:
[...]

Lane Thurgood

Sep 11, 2015, 10:23:29 AM9/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You absolutely will not want or need to wade the C&O.  After work last night, I hit the C&O in my work clothes, changing only my shoes, but sometimes I don't even do that.  I used a 6-weight, started with a small yellow popper, took a few bluegill and redbreasts on that, then put on a size 4 olive klawdad and took a few sub-12" bass.  I then saw a thick catfish I'd estimate at 6 lbs or so cruising around.  It took me a few pitches to get the placement just right as he was rooting around, but he took that klawdad just fine.  I tried to keep him out of cover but was unsuccessful.  Pop goes the 10 lb leader.

All this in about 45 minutes to an hour.

Where you are talking near Georgetown, the Potomac is NOT wadeable.  You're several miles too low.  But the C&O should provide you some action.

Jeffrey Silvan

Sep 11, 2015, 11:11:49 AM9/11/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
In the Canal near Georgetown, you'll have opportunities at bass and sunfish, but you'll also have a decent chance at finding a snakehead. If you see one hanging out, use some heavier tippet. They'll bite through light stuff pretty easily. Another thing to keep an eye out for in that seciont is carp feeding against the bank. There are some giant carp in that section, and they will put up one heck of a fight. There's a bunch of grass choking up a lot of the Georgetown section this time of year, so you have a chance at finding the carp along the edges there too.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Sep 11, 2015, 11:16:40 AM9/11/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
In Georgetown focus behind Dean and Deluca and Sea Catch. Saw a huge eel a few weeks back by the old barge.

Sent from my iPhone

Carl Z.

Sep 11, 2015, 2:03:50 PM9/11/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Bike is also possible, but you need a bikerack close to your destination as well as near your hotel.

http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/

Brian Boomer

Sep 11, 2015, 9:15:05 PM9/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the info, Gene. You guys are really helping me out! Good to know about wading - I'll stay out, stay alive, and save some weight when traveling! I liked the idea of fishing in the constitution gardens - I'm going to look into that!

Brian Boomer

Sep 11, 2015, 9:22:37 PM9/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Great! Thank you. I'll be sure to pack my poppers - it sounds like a pretty lively spot. I'm very glad the C&O is so close to my hotel!

Brian Boomer

Brian Boomer

Rob Snowhite

Sep 11, 2015, 10:35:22 PM9/11/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Do not neglect the tidal basin. Incoming tide at Ohio Drive bridge and along shire from FDR to MLK

Sent from my iPhone

Brian Boomer

Sep 13, 2015, 5:16:03 PM9/13/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Rob, I was actually listening to your podcast on fishing the tidal basin just yesterday. Good stuff in there. Thanks for the info!

Brian Boomer

Sep 21, 2018, 7:29:43 PM9/21/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thought I'd update this since it's been 3 years and 11 days since. I ended up fishing the tidal basin between Basin drive and the Jefferson Memorial. Two birds, one stone. Also, two fish, one fly. Caught two small stripers on a clouser after no-luck with top-water on either side of Ohio drive bridge (not sure if that's the name) for two hours or so. All of that in sight of the Washington monument was a pretty great feeling.

I'm revisiting this now because I'm coming back out in a month (October 23rd through the 27th). I'm also bringing a colleague along who wants to fish while there (he's been to DC many times and so has seen the sights). I'm thinking we'll want to fish the tidal basin again - just for the feeling of it - and then probably travel out somewhere and see something new. We'll have multiple days (evenings actually) to fish which will be nice.

Any thoughts? Any trout?

Also, I see District Angling as the first thing to pop-up on google. Is it worth booking a guided trip given the short fishable hours?

Thanks guys!

Yambag Nelson

Sep 22, 2018, 12:15:44 PM9/22/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you only have evenings I would forget about trout. You are a minimum of an hour drive to any decent trout fishing and that is if there is no traffic which there will be if you are leaving late afternoon. If you can squeeze some more time then head out the Shenandoah national
Park and fish for brook trout. I don't know what the advantage would be to hiring a guide but maybe one with a boat could take you to some different water.

Brian Boomer

Sep 23, 2018, 7:56:04 PM9/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thank you, Yambag.

I was looking at Mossy Creek near that area I believe. I'm hoping to have a half day one of the days I'm there where I could take a drive and make it worth my while.

Yambag Nelson

Sep 23, 2018, 8:22:18 PM9/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mossy is probably a solid two hour drive from D.C. Worth a trip if you have the time.

Andrew Sarcinello

Sep 24, 2018, 10:37:30 PM9/24/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Brian, you'll be arriving in prime schoolie striper time. That would be my number 1 target but it depends on tides and time of day. I am sure some other replies can give you a few spots to try but generally you want outgoing tide coinciding with low light periods. To make things more complicated we've had a lot of muddy water and flooding in the Potomac this year which isn't ideal for fly fishing, but it could very well clear up in the next few weeks.

If you do a quick Google search for "USGS Potomac Little Falls" you should find the USGS flow gage on the Potomac located a few miles upriver from DC. If the flow is around 15,000 CFS or less you should find good fishing around Chain Bridge or upstream in the rapids of Little Falls. Wide variety of fish up there but most everything will eat clousers. Along with the schoolies you have a reasonable chance at smallmouth bass, walleye, and catfish. This area is dangerously deep and fast and wading is 100% impossible so you still won't need waders.

I agree with other comments about trout - however if you are able to leave between 1-2 pm time frame you can probably reach some good stocked water in MD. Check the MDNR website for stocking schedules - I am not super familiar with fall stockings but I do know some of the stocked waters are pretty nice for how close they are - Patapsco River and Little Patuxent are pretty neat.

IMO Shenandoah National Park deserves a day trip. You won't want to leave once you are there, and it gets dark early in October.