DC side of Chain Bridge

Rusty Shackleford

Apr 18, 2017, 7:59:46 PM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I couldn't get much going on the VA side of Chain Bridge today.  I did land a small mouth though.

I saw some people on the DC side having some luck, so drove across Chain Bridge, but found a no left turn sign.  Do I have to go way around to get to those Clara Barton parking spots?  Is that where people park to get to the DC side of Chain Bridge?

I ended up turning right, going down to Fletchers, and walking up a ways.  I found a decent rock, cast out a few times (on a long lunch break), but only landed one decent sized striper.  No shad again.  Just haven't been able to hit that seam from shore yet.

Dave Jamieson

Apr 24, 2017, 5:57:54 PM4/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You were probably trying to go left when it was one-way only going out of town. In that case, I don't know that there's any choice but to do what you did. But when you can make that left (outside of rush hour), there's a parking lot right there on the left and you can usually find a spot. There's a ramp and a set of stairs that goes down below the bridge, and you need to hoof it and do some rock scrambling to get to the water. But this is how I prefer to get to my spots near the bridge. Always be careful there!

Dalton Terrell

Apr 25, 2017, 8:19:59 AM4/25/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I think the Chain Bridge to Clara Barton left turn is always prohibited, at least my reading of the signs indicate that, not only while Clara Barton is one way. You can take a right from Chain Bridge to Canal Rd and then turn left on Arizona, circle the neighborhood back down to Arizona, and finally turn right on Canal to head back to the parking by Chain Bridge. This method doesn't work from 6:15AM-10:00AM during the week, when Clara Barton is one way coming into the city, so you would have to get on Clara Barton during this time frame. Gotta love urban fishing!

Dalton