Guide recommendation Aspen?

jbro...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2018, 10:32:41 PM9/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey folks - I am going to Aspen and then Denver in a couple weeks.

Any recommendations for a guide an locations around Aspen, Carbondale, or Basalt? Is it worth trying the river in Aspen proper?

Also, anyone know if it is worth trying at Confluence Park in downtown Denver?

Thanx

Nedak

Sep 8, 2018, 6:44:56 PM9/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished the Frying Pan in Aspen years ago so I am sure that there are some fresher reviews but it was highly technical when I was there.

On your way from Aspen to Denver stop here:

Unnamed Road
Mysis shrimp coming out of Dillon Reserver

jbro...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2018, 8:16:34 PM9/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanx Nedak,
I was just planning out the drive to Denver and looking for someplace to get wet.
Really appreciate your suggestion

Yambag Nelson

Sep 8, 2018, 11:01:10 PM9/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Unless you think you need a guide I would just diy. Those rivers aren't that hard to figure out.

Art Friedlander

Sep 10, 2018, 11:29:10 AM9/10/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Another comment

Fished there many times some years ago.
If you haven't fished there before you might check out Taylor Creek Fly shop in Basalt.  Very helpful for info and guides.
Frying Pan and Roaring Fork are right there and great places to fish.

Unless you think you need a guide I would just diy.  Those rivers aren't that hard to figure out.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

jbro...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2018, 11:38:06 AM9/10/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for rec on the fly shop. I will check them out.

chad tokowicz

Sep 10, 2018, 12:16:19 PM9/10/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jbrolter,

My good good buddy is a guide out there - he works at the Frying Pan Angler in Basalt. His name is Scott Montross - tell him Chad sent you and he will be pumped up.

Also, someone was talking about the mysis shrimp that come out of the damn, that is referred to the toilet bowl, which is all the way up top of the Frying pan just above the section called the flats.

This toilet bowl fishing is absurd, not very fun as it is similar to chuck and duck fishing without any real finesse or skill needed BUT some HUGE fish can be taken fishing there. ... I would suggest spending a little time there just to get on the board then heading down to do some real fishing.

Tight Lines!

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 11:38 AM <jbro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for rec on the fly shop.  I will check them out.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Misha Gill

Sep 12, 2018, 1:51:14 PM9/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished with John Hunt on the Roaring Fork a few years ago with my wife and we had a great day, very satisfied. jfh...@me.com; 13143083401

I've fished out there a bunch of times because my aunt has a house in Carbondale. I would do both DIY and a float with a guide. The Frying Pan is an epic river that is pretty accessible/wadeable. Not so much for the Roaring Fork. Although you could wade fish it, it's just that there's a lot of private land on it so access isn't as good. I would skip the toilet bowl, personally, and I hear they closed it because someone drowned. Lower Canyon to Quaalude Corner was a really fun wade hike for me. I've attached a picture of the board with all the public access on the Frying Pan for your information.

The hatches are better on the Frying Pan with technical fishing, whereas the Roaring Fork is an awesome freestone river with slightly less selective fish (try a Pat's Rubber Legs). Both are a blast to fish. The Crystal River has trout as well but also a lot of whitefish I hear.

Check out Pine Creek Cookhouse if you have time while you're up there too. It's always a beautiful time of year to visit that place, and the food is top notch. There's some fishing near there too.
IMAG0101 (TPFR SIZE).jpg
IMAG0105.jpg

Jacob Denney

Oct 1, 2018, 10:27:34 PM10/1/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just got back from there last night! Our guide Woody from Taylor Creek Fly Shop was awesome - we fished the Roaring Fork in the morning (apparently the Frying Pan is fishing better in the afternoon right now, but not so well in the morning) and caught 6 nice trout each. Also heard from him that pretty much every stream has fish in it, and sure enough, I could see trout in the stream behind our hotel in Aspen when I went to look.

jbro...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2018, 5:07:08 PM10/2/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sorry for the late report. The trip was great. I looked at the frying pan and went to take a look see at the toilet bowl but decided to stay on the roaring fork. Beautiful weather and although the dry summer created low water the fish were there. Was able to net some browns and rainbows but only 1 was on a dry. Nymphing was the ticket with smallish zebras, crystal rs2s, and pheasant tails. A bit humbling as the trout are feistier than I was use to - with the size 20s and all the obstacles they found for me once hooked, my net rate was low. Still great fun! Had 1 video perfect dry take in crystal clear water by a 18 inch brown. That was awesome!

Lots of guides out there and it is probably hard to go wrong.
Thanks for all the suggestions and information.