Canal Carp Action

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 23, 2015, 2:19:49 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Are you guys sick of my carp posts yet? I hit the canal for the first time this year this past weekend. I went out with Nick on Saturday and we got skunked. Really muddy water, and not many active fish. We had a couple looks and Nick ended up getting one to eat, but the hook didn't stick. I went back out on my own yesterday and it was completely different. The canal was way muddier. It had 6 inches of visibility in most places. I found one stretch of clear water where there were a few fish and finally connected. Dave and his wife ended up riding past me and stopped to help with the landing/photography/release. After that, I switched to using an indicator - something I rarely do - and ended up picking off two more. I learned a lot about indicator fishing for them yesterday which will be good for the future. The carp seem to be a lot bigger this year. Maybe they put on some weight over the winter. I also got hit by about a 10-12" largemouth and ran into a group of deer.

IMG_0503_Small.JPG
IMG_0479_Small.JPG
IMG_0478_Small.JPG
IMG_0449_Small.JPG
IMG_0432_Small.JPG
IMG_0395_Small.JPG

Scott Stankus

Mar 23, 2015, 2:28:50 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great post, Jeff! Beautiful fish and fantastic photos!

You truly are a Carp whisperer!

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Connor Donovan

Mar 23, 2015, 2:54:46 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice work!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they didn't drain the stretch from Georgetown to Chain bridge this winter.  If that's the stretch you hit, maybe they put some weight on over the winter like I did.

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 2:28:50 PM UTC-4, Scott S wrote:
[...]

Richard Farino

Mar 23, 2015, 2:58:19 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ewww.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 23, 2015, 2:58:29 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm not really sure. I never know where to look for info on the water levels. I fished all the way from lock 8 to lock 6. Above 8 had barely more than a trickle, and below 6 had plenty of water too.

namfos

Mar 23, 2015, 3:06:07 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Around the time they had the blowout of the canal up near Anglers (canal was closed for something like 3 years) I found the C&O Canal Trust to be best bet for water level info.

Mark

Ashley Frohwein

Mar 23, 2015, 3:33:16 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Flies used?

Richard Farino

Mar 23, 2015, 4:40:44 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Let me clarify the Ewww comment.  Ewww, Boston hat.

Nice fish.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

Zachary Manning

Mar 24, 2015, 10:23:34 AM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Any suggestions for repeating your activity there in terms of flies and lines? New to fly fishing and would love to catch some fish!

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 24, 2015, 11:30:37 AM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
For flies, I've found any brightly colored nymph works best. The key is a slow sink rate so you can see the eat and bright color to help maintain that visibility as long as possible.

Zachary, by all means I encourage you to get out there any give it a whirl, but if you're new to fly fishing, you might find this type of fishing very frustrating if you haven't gotten your casting down yet. It will require highly accurate presentations, and you usually have a window of no more than a couple feet diameter that you have to drop the fly into in order to get interest. That being said, it's a great way to train yourself to be accurate once you have the fundamentals down.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Anthony Olson

Mar 25, 2015, 8:55:44 AM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
As someone new to the area and fly fishing in general do you strictly spot fish for the Carp in the C&O canal and try to cast to them once you locate them?

Thanks for the fishing update and guidance!

namfos

Mar 25, 2015, 8:57:48 AM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice catch and clarification, Rich.

Mark

namfos

Mar 25, 2015, 9:00:40 AM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, I don't think anyone is tired of your carp posts.  You're probably now positioned as the "go to" guy when it comes to the C&O Canal's "golden bones." ;-)

Mark

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 25, 2015, 9:05:50 AM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Anthony, I strictly spot the fish before casting. The fly generally needs to be pretty close to their face to get them to eat since there's no smell associated with the fly.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Misha Gill

Mar 25, 2015, 3:33:58 PM3/25/15