Dolly Sods

Hudson Munoz

Oct 17, 2016, 10:39:46 AM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Morning,

I'm headed to the Dolly Sods this weekend for an overnight backpacking trip that will take me across Big Stonecoal Run and Red Creek. I've spent some time around Seneca Rocks before, but this will be my first backcountry trip in the Sods.

I'm expecting these streams to be small and not hold many fish, but I thought I'd post here and see if any one has experience fishing them (or tips on fly-fishing in the Monongahela, generally).

TY,
Hudson

Greggory DiSalvo

Oct 17, 2016, 11:45:19 AM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey, I hit Dolly last November.  I brought along a 3 weight and tried a little on Red Creek.  It was very cold (20's) so I fished less than I would have liked.  From what I understand, there used to be a good number of trout, but the water has acidified greatly.  I didn't see a single trout and only caught one fallfish.  As I said, I didn't spend too much time fishing and have heard rumors there are still some fish, so I's carry the rod as it's only a little extra weight on an overnighter.

Good luck and I hope you find trout!  At the very least, Dolly Sods is wonderful and so different from most backpacking around here.

Gregg

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 17, 2016, 12:15:35 PM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I hiked along Red Creek a few years ago, did not see any fish. The water has a reddish brown tannic acid color to it, so it is quite possible I just couldn't see any fish that were there. Gorgeous place though.

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 17, 2016, 12:17:59 PM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Meant to add that this was in late August and the water was brutally cold (we found a swimming hole and jumped in)

Jeremy Dusina

Oct 19, 2016, 11:18:23 AM10/19/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Bob Smith

Oct 19, 2016, 2:25:55 PM10/19/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A friend of mine who's a well respected photographer made this video recently of the Doll Sods. Hope the link works.

https://vimeo.com/187880315

TurbineBlade

Oct 19, 2016, 3:01:02 PM10/19/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'll have to watch it later on.

What a great accomplishment, to be called "well respected" for some skill you have.  Heck, I'd settle for being called "sir" without it being immediately followed by "you're making a scene".

Gene

Carl Z.

Oct 20, 2016, 7:15:05 PM10/20/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene,

You are well respected.  You make us laugh.

Really, ... we're laughing with you.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Oct 21, 2016, 8:37:12 AM10/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Amen to that! I'll say it again, your should be blogging humorously about fishing & stuff, Gene.

Mark

TurbineBlade

Oct 21, 2016, 10:57:49 AM10/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nah, I just like randomly posting nonsense on this forum.  Blogging would seem to require commitment.  In any case, happy to make someone's day a little more surreal ;).

Ashley Frohwein

Oct 21, 2016, 3:43:48 PM10/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sometimes, I sweat when I poop.

How's that for random and unrelated?

bryan....@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2016, 3:48:28 PM10/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I guess that's better than pooping when you sweat.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Oct 21, 2016, 4:32:27 PM10/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's not bad, but you have to make us really believe it.  You have to lose yourself in the role; it can't feel forced!  (No pun intended)

Gene

bryan....@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2016, 5:28:43 PM10/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Gene. That just sorta slipped out. I shall retain...er, refrain from further bathroom humor.
Bryan

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Oct 22, 2016, 12:28:46 PM10/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Scatologists Anonymous

TurbineBlade

Oct 22, 2016, 7:39:25 PM10/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yeah, I'm stepping away from this one ;).

Gene

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:28:46 PM UTC-4, namfos wrote:
Scatologists Anonymous