Sun Gloves. Necessary?

Ryan D

Apr 18, 2018, 9:47:46 AM4/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey guys. I'm trying to decide if i need sun gloves for my first saltwater trip (SC) in May.  Does anyone use them?  I truly can't decide if they are necessary.

tperkins

Apr 18, 2018, 10:00:34 AM4/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Are the necessary? No. But I just picked up a pair and I like them, especially for long days on the water.  I am trying to cover up as much as I possibly can these days. Easier than putting on sunscreen.  I fished from a boat at Fletcher's from sunup to 4pm Saturday and didn't get sunburned. Sun gloves, sun shirt with hood, buff, light weight pants. I may have looked a little ridiculous out there, but better than being sunburned or having surgery.

tperkins

Apr 18, 2018, 10:09:02 AM4/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
oh, I will add that the ones i have (buff brand, on sale), don't fully act as stripping guards so I still find that I have to add a guard to my finger. But the gloves help hold it is place which is nice. I probably won't wear them for all my trips, but definitely nice to have in the bag for long days.

Ryan DiAndrea

Apr 18, 2018, 10:12:20 AM4/18/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Roger that. Thanks for the info. Good to know that they don't do the job of stripping guards. Wonder if that means i should buy fancy sun gloves like Simms or Orvis.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

tperkins

Tim Donaldson

Rob Snowhite

Apr 18, 2018, 10:45:53 AM4/18/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I didn't like my last purchase by Buff as they smelled rotten after drying. I'm currently wearing NRS brand. They are super thin and don't get in my way when tying knots. There is a built in stripping guard. I had a conversation with a doctor yesterday about skin damage and showing age on hands. They also help when rowing a boat and dealing with angry white perch with spikey backs. Any additional skin protection you can use will help you in the long run.

tperkins

BruceC2C

Apr 18, 2018, 10:14:32 PM4/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Necessary....no
Worth your time and $ to experience the range of protection benefits.... definitely yes

If you experimented one full day on water,
One hand with glove, the other hand without glove..,
you will most likely see dramatic difference
( depending on your skin type)

Initially, i resisted sunscreen and gloves.
They are now a welcome, comfortable habit and priority.

Yambag Nelson

Apr 19, 2018, 12:49:17 AM4/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm in Belize now. Not wearing gloves, wouldn't if you offered them to me. They aren't necessary but I can understand why someone might want them.

Misha Gill

Apr 20, 2018, 1:34:24 PM4/20/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I like sun gloves. I keep a pair in my bag. I don't use them religiously. But sometimes they can make all the difference. There are days when I forget a more serious pair of gloves and it's cold out, and the sun gloves cut the wind just enough to make the cold tolerable. Another situation is when I'm doing a lot of aggressive stripping, like when shad fishing or esox fishing, and it's nice to have a buffer between the line and your skin. Just my 2 cents.