AK DIY Thoughts?

October Caddis

Jul 23, 2018, 1:03:13 PM7/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Gang,

I have to go to Seward, AK for work next month. I know - terrible luck.

In any case, the majority of my trip will be tied up with charter boat fishing, which should be fun but isn't exactly my bag. I'm working to build a couple of free days onto one end of the trip to fool around for rainbows or anything else anyone recommends. Can/will bring a good sized-rod quiver with me, experienced in West Coast steelhead and salmon on the fly but never been to AK.

Any suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

OC

Yambag Nelson

Jul 23, 2018, 1:47:14 PM7/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You aren't too far from the Kenai.  The rainbow/dolly fishing will be good and depending when exactly you go, there should be silvers showing up.  There will still be plenty of people out but it won't be as bad as it is when the sockeye are really running.  Plenty of places to walk and wade if you want to DIY.  You could also get a guide and float the middle section below skilak lake. It isn't as wade friendly so there won't be as many people but there are huge rainbows in that section.  If you do DIY stick to the upper section between the lakes.  You also may want to check out some of the upper tribs (quartz and others).  They can be hit or miss but can be alot of fun.

The kenai is where I would go if you are staying in seward but if you have some extra time it is worth driving to home and checking out some of the rivers that way (anchor, deep creek, ninikchick ect).

Lane Thurgood

Jul 24, 2018, 10:28:25 AM7/24/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My only Alaska experience was around Soldotna.  Like you, charter boats were not my thing, but that's what my dad could do.  But then in the afternoons/evenings, my brothers and I explored on our own.  Looks like Soldotna is about 90 miles from Seward, so you may get better advice around Seward and if so, I'd take it.

But if you want to drive to Soldotna, we did plenty of DIY fishing around Soldotna.  I'm reaching back to 2006, and recall hitting a number of DIY spots, including Centennial Park where we found plenty of pinks, silvers, dollies and rainbows, and Cunningham Park where we found plenty of pinks, silvers, a few reds and I even caught a small flounder.  They were easy to access and fish from shore or with minor wading.

But I gotta think you'll find good stuff closer to Seward....

Lane Thurgood

Jul 24, 2018, 10:29:36 AM7/24/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh, and like Yambag, these experiences were on the Kenai.
Message has been deleted

Trevor

Jul 27, 2018, 7:30:21 PM7/27/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
OC,
I've only been to AK a couple times for work, but managed to sneak down to the Kenai area and would say it is a good bet. The Kenai itself is a relatively large river and while you can have some decent success, I had a blast with my tenkara on the Russian River and Quartz Creek fishing for dollys and rainbows...even managed a couple of sockeye on the tenkara! (https://youtu.be/fKYjdCFEjy0) These are much more intimate waters and allow you tons of access up and down the streams. The Russian tends to get more pressure, but if you put some time in hiking, you can usually get away from everyone. The dollys are definitely the dominant species in these areas and they eagerly take the flies.
Let us know how you do.
Trevor

October Caddis

Jul 28, 2018, 12:15:20 AM7/28/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks all! Great ideas, I’ll report on how it goes.

robert mills

Aug 2, 2018, 10:38:07 AM8/2/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
There are a couple of Fly outfits in Cooper's Landing, definitely give them a ring for the lay of the land, I've dealt with Troutfitters a fair bit, they are super helpful and have rental gear if needed.

If you are in Anchorage and have time definitely swing into Mossy's Fly Shop, they'll get you everything you need and have an idea of how fishing is all over the area.

 I would highly recommend heading to some of the mountain lakes and streams in Chugach for bows and greyling, Crescent Lake is a nice hike, beautiful and has tons of fish. The moth of Kenai lake into the river is also highly productive but be prepared for combat fishing fri-sun. Rabbit Lake is also great but is closer to Anchorage

I've worked out of the Kenai/Soldotna area on and off for the past ten years now, the fishing and scenery is amazing. It helps to be prepared if you've never been, bug spray, rain jacket, and despite never having issues with the bears (lots of encounters) I'd bring some bear spray and definitely make noise when you see a blind corner on a trail. Also another thing to use to your advantage is how LOOOOOOOONG daylight hours are. I would work a full 8hr day, then go out and hike and fish for another 4-6hrs after work, get home and still have light.

I would suggest bringing atleast one 5wt and one 8wt singlehander and if you can swing it bring a 7wt spey or switch rod, if not get a spare spool and build a singlehand spey rig (like OPST Commando) for both the 5wt and 8wt, there are lots of rocky shorelines with tons of overhanging foliage right up to the bank.

Seward can be a fun place as well, try to get out to humpy's cove and see all the salmon, also be sure to check out the marine life center. The food is pretty decent in town as well, the Thai place is great, and there is a decent greek restaurant as well. Seward will be packed with tourists right now though so have patience.