Silicone spray on fly line

Dalton Terrell

Jun 18, 2020, 3:30:44 PM6/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've been hitting YouTube pretty hard lately and came across this video from Flip Pallot/Hell's Bay Boatworks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o63QPoRKD6E

Flip recommends spraying food grad silicone on your fly line two or three times per day. I believe he said the same thing in one of the old Walker's Cay Chronicles, which is another great way to kill time: https://www.hellsbayboatworks.com/videos/walkers-cay-chronicles/

I picked up a can of CRC Food Grade Silicone and applied it before a fishing trip last week. The line was quite slick and shot well, I only used one coat and the effects were likely gone by the end of the day.

Do any of our materials experts/fly shop folks have any opinions on long term impacts for the fly line?

Dalton

namfos

Jun 19, 2020, 9:47:22 AM6/19/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
IMHO: Probably no negative effects. Majority of lines on market are PVC extruded onto a fiber core (nylon, polyester)  Best to keep your line away from high heat/flame, chemical solvents (toluene, acetone, etc) and keep it clean. Fly line underfoot in a boat with grit/sand/dirt probably does more damage than silicone spray ever will. I frequently used Armor All after cleaning/rinsing the line with soap and water.

Carl Z.

Jun 22, 2020, 10:39:29 AM6/22/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Do any of our materials experts/fly shop folks have any opinions on long term impacts for the fly line?
Keep up the testing and get back to us :)

Does the stuff work on flies without making them a matted mess?

Scott Stankus

Jun 22, 2020, 10:48:49 AM6/22/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
And does it come off in the water and leave a sheen on the surface?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Jamie Carracher

Dalton Terrell

Jun 22, 2020, 2:43:27 PM6/22/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Scott,

I didn't see any visible sheen on the water, from my line or otherwise. I sprayed it at home, so I didn't have overspray and it was totally dry by the time I fished.

But your comment got me thinking... I found the Safety Data Sheet on the spray, and quite frankly it doesn't look great: http://docs.crcindustries.com/msds/3040.pdf

I have no clue what concentration of the toxic stuff ends up on the line or in the water, but a note indicating it's "hazardous to the aquatic environment" is less than ideal for a product to use on fishing equipment.

I did some Googling, and saw some folks on random forums recommending 303 Aerospace Protectant. I have some of this and know it's good for PVC, and this safety sheet makes it look quite a bit safer: https://www.englundmarine.com/SDS/TOT30910.pdf I'll give this a go and report back.

I should also note that I clean my lines in a bowl of hot water and Dawn dish soap occasionally, scrubbing with a soapy microfiber rag and reeling into dry microfiber rag after rinsing. It seems to clean more dirt and stains than any of the fly line cleaners I've used.

Dalton

namfos

Jun 23, 2020, 5:49:26 PM6/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
MSDS info is primarily aimed at use of the chemicals in substantial quantities in a production/manufacturing environment. What's packaged for consumer use typically poses a far lesser hazard and risk to end-use consumers simply because they are using far less of the stuff.

Mark

Dalton Terrell

Aug 3, 2020, 9:57:09 AM8/3/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This is a late update, but I've given the 303 spray a shot on my fly lines. It seems to be about as as good as the silicone spray, which is to say it keeps your line slick for a day or a most of a day. The application is a bit more complicated and requires a buffing rag to remove residue from the line, so it's not as quick or easy as a squirt of an aerosol bottle.

Dalton