watercraft recommendations?

DJ

Dec 1, 2020, 9:35:02 PM12/1/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Looking for a 1 person boat for fishing local whitewater (primarily the Rapp), Class I-III rapids.  Due to chronic tennis elbow, I'm having a tough time paddling kayaks, so I need to find a replacement.  Other considerations- weight, stability, durability and packable would all be pluses . Considering a Watermaster Kodiak, but they are pricey.  Looking for a SUP for flatwater fishing as they don't bother me as much to paddle.  Any other recommendations?  Thanks!

GSFeder

Dec 1, 2020, 10:07:29 PM12/1/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Pedal drive.  It ain't cheap but thats my grail.   It's hands free, which has to be better for your elbow.

https://www.kayakerguide.com/pedal-kayak-ultimate-guide/

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Kevin KB

Dec 1, 2020, 10:36:56 PM12/1/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Greg,

Out of curiosity, how does pedal drive work in class 1 - 3 Rapids.  I scrape bottom a lot on my conventional kayak.

Kevin

GSFeder

Dec 2, 2020, 12:02:41 AM12/2/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You've got me there.  I'm boatless and admire from afar.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

tperkins

Dec 2, 2020, 7:25:47 AM12/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Since a SUP doesn't seem to bother your elbow as much, would a small canoe work? Old town makes one that is just under 12 feet long. They also used to make one just under 15 feet that you can sometimes find used.

Rob

Dec 2, 2020, 7:44:27 AM12/2/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have a Dave Scadden and Water Master if you want to check them out. I’ve taken the Watermaster down the Rapp. Loads of fun. Watermaster fit in their own backpack with pump and oars.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 2, 2020, at 7:25 AM, tperkins <thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:

Since a SUP doesn't seem to bother your elbow as much, would a small canoe work? Old town makes one that is just under 12 feet long. They also used to make one just under 15 feet that you can sometimes find used.

namfos

Dec 2, 2020, 8:38:03 AM12/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Pedal drive in rapids? Be well stocked with replacement parts. Besides, I don't think a rudder equipped pedal drive kayak would be all that maneuverable in Class I-III rapids.

Rob Shane

Dec 2, 2020, 9:43:28 AM12/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The fins on most pedal drives kick up flush to the bottom of the kayak. Hobie's have a different system where they use very flimsy fins that more easily navigate through debris without having to go flush. That being said, most of the manufacturers don't cover impact damage on their warranty and for what those kayaks cost I'd hate to bust my pedal drive on that one rock I didn't see. Not to say you can't do it, but the anxiety of that alone is what drove me away from pedal drives when I was last in the market.

DJ

Dec 2, 2020, 12:07:24 PM12/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I can paddle a canoe pretty well, but some of those stretches on the Rapp are pretty dicey, I'd be concerned about dumping all my fly gear!!  Canoes are pretty heavy too.

DJ

Dec 2, 2020, 3:38:06 PM12/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rob- that would be great.  I first heard of WMs from your snakehead podcast, sounds like a good choice for above the fall line.
DJ

Rob

Dec 2, 2020, 3:46:30 PM12/2/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Shoot me an email and we can set up a time to inflate. That snakehead float was the best day of fishing I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 2, 2020, at 3:38 PM, DJ <djcamph...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rob- that would be great.  I first heard of WMs from your snakehead podcast, sounds like a good choice for above the fall line.

caca...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2020, 9:37:43 AM12/3/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
What type of kayak do you have, there are all sorts of motors that can be mounted now and can be raised through the rapids.  A pedal drive would be destroyed on your first ledge.  Adding a torquedo or something like that may be a good option.  I have a center console POD in my yak so I'm working on a DIY job to keep the cost down,  but  stern mounted one motor would be easier for you to raise.

Miles

Dec 3, 2020, 11:18:21 AM12/3/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Former whitewater boater here, current canoe angler. I've done the Rapp in a kayak and I don't remember there being anywhere I'd worry about taking a canoe, but that might be because I did it at lower flows than you're fishing. If you ever want a ride in my two-person canoe, I'd be happy to run the Rapp with you. I can teach you how to get down more or less safely. We can sit ten feet apart, no touch, all the proper end times protocol.

The thing about canoes is you don't dump anything that's tied down. I spent the first part of quarantine rebuilding a sling pack to work as a boat bag - I can lash it to the thwart, never gets lost. The bigger problem is water in the boat - you would need float bags, but they're not expensive. I just last spring outfitted my Mohawk for float bags, but I haven't had a chance to take it anywhere they do any good.

If I had your budget, I would be looking pretty seriously at this Nova Craft Supernova demo from Front Royal Outfitters: https://frontroyaloutdoors.com/product/supernova-1410-tuffstuff-demo-sale/  That thing is 2 feet shorter than my canoe but about half the weight, which is unbelievable. I solo my Mohawk pretty often and it's around 90 pounds. It's not too bad once the weight is on my shoulders.

-Miles