Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Digest for tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com - 7 Messages in 5 Topics

james kammel

Jun 24, 2013, 7:58:57 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Where is constitutional gardens?

Jim

Jim Greene

Jun 24, 2013, 8:40:51 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Briefly abandoning lurker mode to comment that my rule of thumb for wading the Potomac for smallmouth (usually near Shephardstown or above Snyder's Landing at the Horsebacks) is 3 feet or less at the Little Falls gauge. Also if and when there's a white fly hatch, those areas can offer first-class dry fly fishing. FYI small Gaines blue poppers are often particularly effective early in the day casting toward weeds or under trees on the shoreline.
Jim Greene

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM, <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/topics

    Texican <john.z....@gmail.com> Jun 23 07:51PM -0700

    Hit Constitution Gardens today to change things up Sunday. After the rain,
    the water was cloudy so sight casting was out of the question. Caught this
    guy up against the wall at the far East end of the pond. A nice surprise
    after being skunked at GP on Saturday. About 13 inches and as always, fun!

    BTW, I've seen a couple of brown and I think white snakes in the water both
    at 4MR and GP recently. The one at GP was in the seam near the outflow and
    didn't seem particularly scared. Anyone have a clue what these might be
    and generally what one might encounter at these places. Considering that's
    two snakes in two weekends, I'm guessing I'll see more and just being
    cautious. Oh, and I saw either three snakeheads or the same snakehead three
    times surfacing at GP against the wall about 1 hr after high tide. One of
    these days.....

    tight lines - John

    TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> Jun 24 01:14AM -0700

    I'd guess some Nerodia species is most likely on the snake(s) you saw. In
    MO the most common was N. sipedon, but I don't know what species is most
    common around here. All basically fill the same niche.

    Harmless, but very prone to biting and musking if grasped at some point
    along the body. Oddly, the ones I've kept in the lab would feed
    immediately after biting/musking, so they don't seem to be too stressed
    about it -- it's just an innate reaction to be grabbed....probably
    developed in response to avian predators.

    Gene

    On Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:51:47 PM UTC-4, Texican wrote:

    Ernie <ernie...@verizon.net> Jun 23 06:35PM -0700

    Just a reminder, If you are coming, please let em know.

    Ernie

    Trent Sterneck <zebra...@gmail.com> Jun 23 01:44PM -0400

    Hi all,

    I've been silently lurking on the forum for a while and have been motivated
    to get out and fish. After picking up some flies and advice from Dan at the
    Clarendon Orvis, I drove out to Shenandoah National Park on Saturday to
    hike around and try to catch a few brook trout. I was pleasantly surprised
    by the fishing, the park's beauty, and the rigor of the hike. (a few
    photos: http://imgur.com/a/Frtt5)

    Hope to make it out to a beer tie soon and start exploring more fly-fishing
    options around DC.

    Cheers,

    Trent

    Danny Barrett <dannyt...@gmail.com> Jun 23 07:32PM -0400

    Ive fished that park for a decade or more, where is that waterfall? Never
    seen it.

    Thanks,

    Dan Barrett

    MSA Fall Protection CoOp
    1100 Cranberry Woods Drive,
    Cranberry TWP, PA

    3610 Dawson Ave
    Pittsburgh, PA

    dannyt...@gmail.com
    (540)-222-8064

    Zach on the Hill <zachary....@gmail.com> Jun 23 10:31AM -0700

    Thanks fish. We hit the float yesterday and the fishing was so-so. We
    caught about 15 between the two of us with a few in the 2lb range. Water
    was very stained though. All and all it was worth it to get out there.

    On Friday, June 21, 2013 1:01:03 PM UTC-4, Zach on the Hill wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group tidal-potomac-fly-rodders.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jim Greene. President and CEO
Waterwisp Flies   <www.waterwisp.com>

Scott Stankus

Jun 24, 2013, 9:10:26 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Slightly north of the Tidal Basin - between the reflecting pool and Constitution Ave. Basically at 19th and Constitution Ave.

--Scott

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM, james kammel <sailm...@mac.com> wrote:
Where is constitutional gardens?

Jim
--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

namfos

Jun 24, 2013, 9:16:43 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jim: what's the situation for parking around Snyder's Landing? In summer I often fish below Dam 5. Thanks.

Mark