Shad Run 2018

Adam Harris

Apr 30, 2018, 8:29:51 PM4/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
As I continue to almost feverishly look for updates on this year’s Shad Run and have seen little chatter about it here, I thought it might be helpful to start a thread here. I’ll go first.

Saturday we stopped by Fletcher’s Cove for the first time to check it out. We did not fish, but took time to read the (highish) water. Saw some promising seams and continuous line of herring jumping within casting distance from the shore. We saw some shore fishers pulling in fish, but nothing crazy.

Also noted Fletcher’s update for tomorrow:

“On Monday, our Fletchers Boathouse location will close at 7:00 pm. Tomorrow is looking good for great rowboat fishing and kayak paddling. Tackle and rental shop opens early at 6:30.”

Adam Harris

May 1, 2018, 6:06:19 PM5/1/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Alex Binsted had a good day today: http://binstedlures.com/?p=734

Brian Cohen

May 1, 2018, 6:12:29 PM5/1/18
to Carl Z.
It's rare that I can provide a useful fishing report here rather than just asking dumb questions, so I'll take the opportunity to do so.

Fished the incoming tide at Fletcher's from 6:30-9 AM this morning and was catching them nearly non-stop - using a full-sinking line with a short (5 foot) leader.  All were caught on a single fly - a pink Binsted shad fly.   A relatively quick retrieve did the trick.   I caught nothing but Hickory shad - no Americans at all, even when I slowed down and really let the fly bump on the bottom.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

The Shad Hammer

May 2, 2018, 6:18:04 PM5/2/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Lots of fish caught today at Fletchers and even a few by me.  The water is still off color but it didn't seem to bother the fish.

Fished 9 am to 1 pm across the high tides.  The pink jig/dart we tied at the Beer Tie did well.  Thanks Rob!  Also got some on white&yellow.

A couple logistical notes.  Traffic was a bass-turd getting there.  From Georgetown we had to drive over the river... and back over on Chain Bridge due to one-way morning flow. Plus, there was a waitlist for boats.

Some days you're the nail, and some days you're....The Shad Hammer

Bill Garrahan

May 3, 2018, 9:08:38 AM5/3/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am curious what others experience has been on different tides. I have had decent fishing on all tides except low tide. Is low tide always slow fishing ?

Lane Thurgood

May 3, 2018, 2:04:56 PM5/3/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I always prefer a moving tide, but I have found some success at low tide as long as I could reach current.  But I'd much prefer a stronger mid-tide.

Rob Snowhite

May 3, 2018, 2:59:42 PM5/3/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Incoming today was better both today and yesterday for us on shore. Outgoing yesterday tapered off to very few bites. Today’s hickories were small. More river herring around at our feet today.

Word from a Park Police officer today is he won’t bother snakehead snaggers with a fishing license as they are only targeting one species.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Morgan Cosgrove

Adam Harris

May 3, 2018, 7:09:53 PM5/3/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Binsted has another report. http://binstedlures.com/?p=739

Adam Harris

May 3, 2018, 8:32:30 PM5/3/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Adam Harris

May 5, 2018, 7:07:38 PM5/5/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Had a good visit to Fletcher’s today. Can’t give a great fishing report; the kids’ beginners reel conked out after 6 casts or so. That said, we saw a number of folks finding the Shad on both conventional and fly rods. I only had a few casts from a point downstream from the cove and in water wasn’t nearly deep enough today; fish seemed to be hunkered down near the main channel. I ran into a gentleman with a TPFR hat on around 4 pm who had been there since 4:30 am who said he had got into 30-40 today. Water level and clarity was good; we’ll see what tonight’s rain does to it.

tperkins

May 6, 2018, 9:09:06 PM5/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey that was me, nice to meet you! It was a fun day. Never got onto a steady spot for the Americans. But still got into a bunch. Stupidly moved out of a few spots that a little while later turned on.

Gregg DiSalvo

May 7, 2018, 9:14:45 AM5/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That was pretty stupid.  I was like.  Hey!  This spot will turn on.  let's be patient, but there you go, rowing away.....

It was certainly my most interesting shad day to date.  Note steady, not crazy numbers, but only American.  Pretty wild

Andrew Sarcinello

May 7, 2018, 10:29:38 AM5/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished from shore closer to Chain Bridge yesterday afternoon and caught a bunch of small hickories, 12-13".  I put a nymph dropper on to see what would happen and that got me a bunch of herring.  Still haven't hooked an American from shore this season but sounds like now is the time.

Ryan O'Banion

May 7, 2018, 11:22:49 AM5/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was fishing on the shoreline yesterday just above Warning Rock. We stayed from around 6:30 am to noon. The early morning bite was awesome but it did slow down later.
IMG_20180506_084601.jpg

Alexander Vu

May 7, 2018, 5:56:26 PM5/7/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have same experience with Lane. As long as there is moving tide, Shad are not particular.

On May 3, 2018, at 2:04 PM, 'Lane Thurgood' via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Adam Harris

May 12, 2018, 4:21:12 PM5/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
New report from Alex Binsted: http://binstedlures.com/?p=748

Adam Harris

May 12, 2018, 4:35:23 PM5/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Jeffrey Silvan

May 12, 2018, 6:15:27 PM5/12/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was out from 6-1230 today. I caught no shad, and maybe ten or fewer were caught from all the boats I could see. Strangely enough, I did catch a carp (well, it popped off at the boat), then I caught a walleye a few casts later. On shad darts.

On Sat, May 12, 2018, 4:35 PM Adam Harris <adaml...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Adam Harris

May 13, 2018, 5:25:44 PM5/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Alex Binsted’s latest; fish tomorrow if you can. http://binstedlures.com/?p=750

Adam Harris

May 13, 2018, 5:32:11 PM5/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

The Shad Hammer

May 14, 2018, 8:09:49 AM5/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Sunday morning was super slow for me also.  The river was very brown.

Lots of catfish rolling and I caught a few of those, and I got a bonus walleye to my surprise.