Cincinnati not New Zealand

Art Friedlander

Jul 28, 2017, 10:01:25 AM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Will be in Cincinnati in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has any advice on fishing/guides, etc., either cold or warm water.
Appreciate any help.

Art

Gregg DiSalvo

Jul 28, 2017, 10:04:34 AM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, just...@yahoo.com
The North or South island of Cinci?

Art Friedlander

Jul 28, 2017, 10:11:25 AM7/28/17
to Gregg DiSalvo, Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I like that!
Now it's even more complicated.

Jul 28, 2017, 3:36:41 PM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, just...@yahoo.com
Would you really spend money on a guide to fish near Cincinnati?

John Smith

Jul 28, 2017, 4:11:39 PM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I would try fishing the tail waters of the Corps' lock and dams near Cincinnati. I believe there are facilities upstream and downstream. This is not the best time of year but there are white bass and hybrids below many of those facilities. Some have fishing platforms or wing walls you can stand on. I had great success at the RC Byrd facility upstream of Cincy with conventional gear one April. Fly gear is tricky with all the rip rap but something to at least consider.

Art Friedlander

Jul 28, 2017, 4:41:13 PM7/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Know nothing about fishing there so need some help. Looking online one shop has guides for fishing for smallmouth in drift boats.

Jul 31, 2017, 12:57:31 AM7/31/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, just...@yahoo.com
Art,
Call the Guys at Mad River Outfitters in Columbus.  There is actually some pretty damn good pike fishing in Ohio, just saying.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Eric Fisher

Jul 31, 2017, 11:10:36 AM7/31/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, just...@yahoo.com
Art - Used to live in Cincinnati for a few years after college. The Little Miami River (LMR) is only a 15 min drive from the center of Cincinnati (located on east side) and offers some great fishing for Smallies, Hybrids, White Bass and some other species. One of the better spots I used to go to was just south of the 125 bridge (Beechmont Ave). You can walk along the shore and wade at certain points. Key in on  the riffles and fish tight to rocks if you're looking for big Hybrids. There are a number of other easy access points all along the LMR if you look on google maps. You could also rent a kayak from one of the local companies and float a good section of the river.

Delamere and Hopkins is the local fly fishing shop and they'll be able to provide you with a ton of helpful information. Hope this helps.

Eric

Art Friedlander

Jul 31, 2017, 6:32:40 PM7/31/17
to Eric Fisher, Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Bobby, Eric:

That is great advice.
Many thanks.  I'll talk to the shops and see what is fishing best.

Art