Ticks - some useful information

namfos

May 1, 2020, 1:35:39 PM5/1/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Lyme disease is not something to you would want to have to deal with. So take precautions. Solid advise in this item:

Mark

Sean Steele

May 1, 2020, 1:43:42 PM5/1/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I’ve had Lyme. It is absolutely devastating. Do not ignore this information / advice: https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/index.html

-Sean

May 2, 2020, 8:14:15 AM5/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks so much for this information, Mark. With that mild winter the ticks are going to be out in force.

In looks like Permethrin-treated clothing (aka InsectShield) and either DEET or Picaridin sprayed directly on the skin. (I'll probably go for the second since it doesn't degrade degrade plastics or stain fabric).

Owen

namfos

May 2, 2020, 12:40:00 PM5/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
From my understanding the real determining factor for risk of Lyme is how large the field mice population is - the ticks jump to the deer and the low growth and hence it can be anywhere. A warmer winter is certain good for mouse reproduction. Might also explain, at least in my experience, the greater number of foxes I've spotted in low light or night  conditions over the last several months.

Mark

namfos

May 2, 2020, 12:40:45 PM5/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was treated for it 2 years ago - a brother in law was hospitalized for it about 5 years ago. Freakin scary.

Brian

May 2, 2020, 5:53:39 PM5/2/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
our founding president had lyme disease i thinks so yes nothing to fool with.  wear your waders!

Hugh

May 2, 2020, 8:26:06 PM5/2/20
to tidal-potomac-.
Often, ticks will carry more than one disease, so if you're getting tested for Lymes, you should also get tested for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever as well as babesiosis.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

May 7, 2020, 7:36:17 AM5/7/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
From what my doctors told me, the blood tests don't actually show that you "have" tick-borne disease, but rather the tests reveal the presence of antibodies indicating you may have been exposed to disease; then on to diagnosis and treatment.

Andrew Sarcinello

May 7, 2020, 11:26:38 AM5/7/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
There are also some tick-borne illnesses closely related but not identical to Lyme that are carried by deer ticks. Fortunately, they are all treated the same way (with a course of doxycycline) but these slightly different strains will never give you a positive test result. I contracted one such strain a few years ago. Never had a bull's-eye rash or any positive test result, but had all the symptoms of Lyme.

Fortunately I caught it early and it responded to the antibiotics. If caught early, 3 weeks on the antibiotic will wipe it out for good. If you have been bitten by a deer tick you can also request a one-day course of doxycycline within 72 hours of the bite, and this has been proven to prevent Lyme from developing later on. I wish I had known that beforehand, as the relatively mild case I experienced was still no fun at all.

namfos

Jun 29, 2020, 5:21:44 PM6/29/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
IDing ticks and tick-borne disease: