SAVE FLETCHER'S COVE!!! YOUR VOICE IS NEEDED NOW!

Daniel Davala

Dec 9, 2014, 9:39:08 PM12/9/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
CALLING ALL TPFRers!!!

By now you have all read Mike Bailey's (A.K.A. Animal) recent post about a serious threat to spring Shad and Striper fishing as we know it.  If not, check it out now for a bit of context:  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/nzBjJNKf3c0/VRidGsVZ8tcJ

Additionally, Mark Binstead was at BEER TIE last night and filled us all in on the situation at hand.  As Mark eluded to, there has been much in motion behind the scenes and a coalition has been formed to respectfully put the necessary pressure on the Park Service to address this issue in a timely manor, preferably in time for the 2015 spring run.  Richie (Urban Angler) and I have joined this coalition and have pledged to do all we can to motivate and mobilize our angling community to help in this cause.

My hat's off to Mike Bailey, Danny Ward, and Mark Binstead for spearheading this effort, and for putting together the following information and petition to let our voices be heard.

Now, while I know we have far more readers than posters (not that there's anything wrong with that), I am challenging each and every one of our 1321 registered members to click on the following link, add your name to the petition, and send a brief note to the park service about what safe access to Fletcher's Cove means to you, your friends, and/or your family.  Your ideas and solutions are welcome in the comments as well, they will be read.

Let's keep this thread alive as a motivation to others.  Once you have added your name to the petition and sent in your comments to NPS, please respond to this thread with something to the effect of, "Petition signed, comments sent" or whatever else you prefer.  Doing so will only encourage others in real time to do the same.

Thanks again to Mike, Mark, and Danny for bringing this issue to light.  Now let's make a difference and protect one of our fishery's most valuable resources - Fletcher's Cove.  April is just around the corner!

Thanks in advance for your support.

Dan Davala

Troy Schneider

Dec 9, 2014, 9:59:25 PM12/9/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan, for getting this rolling.  I'm definitely one of those no-posting readers, but this warrants speaking up.

I will absolutely contact NPS.   The petition won't let me add my name, though -- I think it's shared only for viewing.

-Troy

Bob Bishop

Dec 9, 2014, 10:21:57 PM12/9/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Petition signed, letter sent to NPS.

 Sent from my iPad.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Daniel Davala

Dec 9, 2014, 10:33:46 PM12/9/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Troy.  I'll let Mike chime in about the petition.  If you put your info in and hit submit, it should have gone through.  Thanks for logging in and letting us know, and for your support on this pressing issue.

Dan Davala

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Joshua Delmonico

Dec 9, 2014, 10:34:11 PM12/9/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed

Sent from my iPad

Daniel Davala

Dec 9, 2014, 10:40:40 PM12/9/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I just checked and yours definitely went through Troy, as did many TPFRers since the link went out.  Keep 'em coming guys and gals, this is what we need!

Dan Davala

Bryan Lanier

Dec 10, 2014, 8:28:05 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and commented.

Bryan

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Al Warner

Dec 10, 2014, 8:34:20 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Carl Smolka

Dec 10, 2014, 8:37:57 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Petition signed, comments sent

Carl Smolka

Dr. Carl M. Smolka

Project Healing Waters at Fort Meade

https://www.facebook.com/ - !/groups/105267782931371/

Phone: 301 929 1365

Mobile: 240 994 0093

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, trade secret, and/or privileged material. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender and destroy all printed copies and delete the material from all computers.

 .

image001.gif

tperkins

Dec 10, 2014, 9:16:29 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and commented.

Thanks

Patrick Kearns

Dec 10, 2014, 9:19:08 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed!  Plan on emailing NPS as well.

Scott Stankus

Dec 10, 2014, 9:31:05 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Paul

Dec 10, 2014, 9:46:04 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Another non-posting reader here...   Petition signed and comment sent.

HUGE thanks to the people who are working hard to try and make a difference.

Miles

Dec 10, 2014, 9:46:36 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed.

-Miles

MattT

Dec 10, 2014, 10:03:08 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and commented.

Brian

Dec 10, 2014, 10:10:07 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again to all those who spearheaded these efforts and TPFR for providing a great way to get the word out.

Marek Rich

Dec 10, 2014, 10:23:37 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Done, signed!

--

http://www.tpfr.org

Casey Peltier

Dec 10, 2014, 10:43:30 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Done! Seek permission and instructions to send this over to the Chesapeake Women Anglers. Thanks.

Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 21:39:07 -0500

Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} SAVE FLETCHER'S COVE!!! YOUR VOICE IS NEEDED NOW!

Jeremy Dusina

Dec 10, 2014, 10:49:24 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and commented.

Luther Penny

Dec 10, 2014, 11:08:51 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and email sent to Superintendent Brant.

Jeff Cook

Dec 10, 2014, 11:25:00 AM12/10/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Done. Thanks for spreading the word!

Jeff Cook

TomG

Dec 10, 2014, 11:26:35 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Done.

Mike Bailey

Dec 10, 2014, 11:59:04 AM12/10/14
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
Wow!  What a great response. We are sweeping the petition form two or three times a day and then proof and pasting them in the statement. Within 24 hours we have already made progress.  A more detailed update will be provided via this form and emailed to who provided contact info by January of 2015.  Thanks again and please pass the statement along.

Parker

Dec 10, 2014, 12:07:29 PM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed!

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:39:08 PM UTC-5, Dan Davala - Founder/President wrote:
Message has been deleted

Jeremy Maggio

Dec 10, 2014, 12:27:34 PM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and commented. Are there other groups/organization we can reach out to in order to ensure more signatures? I'm willing to help out as much as possible.

Bob Smith

Dec 10, 2014, 12:36:06 PM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Done, done and emailed NPS directly. Fletcher's has been a part of my life for a quarter of a century. Losing it would be a crime against the qua
Ity of life around here.

Joe Molloy

Dec 10, 2014, 1:19:01 PM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed & Commented.

joe

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Paul Kalajainen

Dec 10, 2014, 2:16:26 PM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed

Jeffrey Silvan

Dec 10, 2014, 2:29:41 PM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and comment. Thanks to all spearheading this effort!

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Paul Kalajainen <paulkal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Signed

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Horace Williams

Dec 10, 2014, 3:23:21 PM12/10/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
signed as well.

Terry C

Dec 11, 2014, 6:38:27 AM12/11/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed

namfos

Dec 11, 2014, 8:28:43 AM12/11/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and commented. Will send this around to contacts on FB and LI.

Mark

Misha Gill

Dec 11, 2014, 8:40:29 AM12/11/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and emailed.

Terry C

Dec 11, 2014, 10:00:47 AM12/11/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I do think this is a news worthy issue, the Washington Post has had many articles over the years about Fletchers .

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:40:29 AM UTC-5, Misha Gill wrote:
Signed and emailed.

Terry C

Dec 11, 2014, 1:28:52 PM12/11/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I just sent Mike Ruane of the Washington Post the info from our web page, he was very interested in this.

Mike

Dec 12, 2014, 5:38:25 AM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Post Article from Thursday PM

Ryan Payne

Dec 12, 2014, 7:16:05 AM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed.

Brian Cohen

Dec 12, 2014, 8:18:13 AM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and emailed - and I also called Eleanor Holmes Norton's office and raised this as an issue with her staff.

Brian Cohen
(a formerly silent member of this group)

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Misha Gill <mish...@gmail.com> wrote:
Signed and emailed.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Dec 12, 2014, 8:52:31 AM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
See page B3 in today's WaPo.

Mark

Terry C

Dec 12, 2014, 10:01:26 AM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I guess I"m famous now  :)

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
See page B3 in today's WaPo.

Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Sidemadder

Dec 12, 2014, 5:04:44 PM12/12/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed and delivered.

It's great to see the proactive response from TPFR's!
Message has been deleted

RickT

Dec 13, 2014, 7:44:56 AM12/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Done, and thanks for this update!

- - -

namfos

Dec 15, 2014, 9:16:05 AM12/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
for 15 minutes

Mark

Rob Snowhite

Dec 17, 2014, 4:08:38 PM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Reminder about tonight- this is a federal building. You need proper identification to get in.

Where to go once we pass the security guy? Libby won't hold all of us,

Sam Zimmerman

Dec 17, 2014, 6:09:00 PM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed with a message which will also be sent to Park service:

Fletcher's Cove provides access to a unique natural resource both for Washington region residents and visitors from the entire USA. It would be a pity for such a vast constituency to lose that access for the small cost of fixing the dock and dredging the cove. The necessary funds are modest compared to the benefits, especially considering the willingness of so many people to donate their time and money to preserve such an important part of America.   Please let us help!

Terry C

Dec 17, 2014, 9:25:08 PM12/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Attended the meeting tonight along with several other TPFR people.  I thought it was very informative and hopeful about the outcome for this spring.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Dec 18, 2014, 5:59:03 AM12/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for attending on behalf of the folks like me who will probably attempt to use the docks during the coming shad run (if at all possible).  I appreciate that --

Gene
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

tperkins

Dec 18, 2014, 8:23:58 AM12/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I thought it was a great meeting. Thanks to all who came out. NPS seems very committed to making sure we can access the river starting March 1. One of the most interesting things I learned is that Fletcher's sells 60% of all DC fishing licenses. Because of this DC is also very committed to finding both a interim and long term solution to both dock access and silting of Fletchers cove.

namfos

Dec 18, 2014, 8:38:07 AM12/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the meeting was a success for sure - Brian King, DC Dept of Environemnt, and Kevin Brandt, C&O Canal Park Superintendant, are now each other's newest friends and best buddies. ;-)

Mark

Adam Knapp

Dec 23, 2014, 10:25:23 AM12/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I learned about TPFR by attending the public meeting. I've signed the petition, sent a letter to the NPS, and look forward to participating in the process moving forward.

Thanks and I look forward to learning more about this group!

--adam