Menhaden??

Andrew M

May 10, 2018, 8:43:50 AM5/10/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I foul hooked and landed a new-to-me species last night at the top of the cove just below the ledge. I’m 99% positive it was a Menhaden. How common are these? It was the size of a very decent American but had that bullish upper lip and very round belly.

Scott Stankus

May 10, 2018, 8:49:45 AM5/10/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Could it have been a Blueback Herring?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Misha Gill

May 10, 2018, 10:40:31 AM5/10/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My understanding is that Menhaden are on the small side (hence why they make good striper food). Your description sounds more like a large gizzard shad.

Rob Snowhite

May 10, 2018, 11:58:14 AM5/10/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I foul hooked one in the Tidal Basin a few years back. With this river nothing surprises me anymore, except the naked lady by Pimmit Run last week.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 10, 2018, at 10:40 AM, Misha Gill <mish...@gmail.com> wrote:

My understanding is that Menhaden are on the small side (hence why they make good striper food). Your description sounds more like a large gizzard shad.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew M

Bobby Davis

May 11, 2018, 8:38:26 AM5/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Curious....they listed Largemouth and Smallmouth as non invasive.

tperkins

May 11, 2018, 9:16:58 AM5/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The difference is those are species that DNR and others consider valuable. They are non-native, but not invasive and don't have the potential to "wreck" the ecosystem. Looking at that list a large number of the species on it are non-native, such as musky, pike, brown trout, rainbow trout, and carp. Of course "wrecking" the ecosystem can mean different things.