Gravelly Point Tide Chart

Brian Ibanez

Apr 15, 2013, 11:28:51 AM4/15/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What tide chart do you guys use for Gravelly Point?

Scott Stankus

Apr 15, 2013, 11:33:07 AM4/15/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I typically use the one on the Orvis Fishing Reports site, you'll just need to add two hours as it's for Alexandria.

--Scott

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Brian Ibanez

Nedak

Apr 15, 2013, 6:14:23 PM4/15/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have posted this before.  I put this link on my google calendar and it gives me a feed for Gravelly. I adjust for different locations but for me it's good enough.

webcal://tides.mobilegeographics.com/ical/5251.ics

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/109.html

You can search the above for more specific locations.  It corresponded to other tide sources so I believe it to be accurate.

Richard Farino

Apr 16, 2013, 4:25:03 PM4/16/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

The airport high tide is exactly 8 minutes after the Alexandria high tide.  The Chain Bridge high tide is exactly 27 minutes after the Alexandria high tide.  Not 2 hours.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313 | ric...@urbanangler.com

Scott Stankus

Apr 16, 2013, 7:13:33 PM4/16/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I'm basing the two hours on when the water changes direction between Gravelly Point and Roaches Run. Would that account for the additional time? That is, would that start happening right when the tide switches or would there be a delay?

Thanks.

--Scott

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 16, 2013, at 4:25 PM, "Richard Farino" <ric...@urbanangler.com> wrote:

The airport high tide is exactly 8 minutes after the Alexandria high tide.  The Chain Bridge high tide is exactly 27 minutes after the Alexandria high tide.  Not 2 hours.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 <image001.png>

Richard Farino

Apr 17, 2013, 1:42:15 PM4/17/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

It obviously takes time for the tide to continue to flood into our area.  As it does, the tide rushes in underneath the culvert into the duck pond (Roaches Run) at Gravelly Point.

At the end of the high tide there is a 1 hour slack tide where the tide does nothing.  The tide is turning and will begin to ebb after that 1 hour.

Given the fact that most folks like to fish Gravelly a few hours after high tide when there is sufficient flow coming out of the duck pond, it make sense to tell people to fish Gravelly 2 hours after the Alexandria high tide which would make the fishing decent, but that doesn’t mean add 2 hours to the high tide to figure out when the high tide is up at the airport.

Make sense?

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

image001.png

Scott Stankus

Apr 17, 2013, 1:50:57 PM4/17/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yup,. thanks, Rich!

--Scott

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"
image001.png

Brendan

Apr 17, 2013, 4:24:01 PM4/17/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
yea, roaches is all weird given the narrow tunnel.. and timing/delays can vary depending on size of tide and wind.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/ozC_ub0o5E0J.

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Daniel Davala

May 6, 2013, 10:08:37 PM5/6/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

If you click the "Annual PDF" link at the top right, you can view and print tide predictions for the year.  Generally, it is best to fish an outgoing tide at Gravelly approx. 1.5 hours after the listed High tide.  That gives the tide time to peak, then begin to move back out.  The flow out of the tunnel under the parkway will really start pumping after that, and it can last for quite a few hours.  Get a Clouser Minnow or other "baitfish" pattern out into the current and hang on!  Hope to see you out there soon.

Dan Davala

Also, if you go to the TPFR forum page HERE and type "gravelly point" in the search bar you will have nearly unlimited reading on the subject.  Check out other topics of interest as well - you'll find the archives to be a tremendous resource.  Thanks again to all who have contributed and continue to do so!

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Emily Weaver <emilyan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone posted a tide chart that can be printed for the year?

Interested in Gravelly Point and other near areas.  Thanks!!

On Monday, April 15, 2013 11:28:51 AM UTC-4, Brian Ibanez wrote:
What tide chart do you guys use for Gravelly Point?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Scott Stankus

May 7, 2013, 8:07:04 AM5/7/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
To add to what Dan said about fishing Gravelly on the outgoing tide, often the key to getting a strike is to mend your line after you cast to get the fly a little deeper in that fast water. Trent advised me of this long ago and it really makes a difference.

--Scott

Daniel Davala

May 7, 2013, 8:20:25 AM5/7/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Good point Scott.  And I'll add to that, keep the rod tip low - touching or just above the water as the fly swings down stream and through the current.  Follow the swing with the rod tip too, trying to keep it pointed at the place the fly is swimming through.  This will help keep slack in the line to an absolute minimum and you will feel and react to the strike much quicker.

Oh, and welcome to the club and the forum Emily!

Dan Davala

TurbineBlade

May 7, 2013, 9:15:55 AM5/7/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I used to hate fishing in current because I didn't know what the hell I was doing.  I was a lake/pond spinning rod guy only.

Then Beth and I were at Urban one day talking to Rich and it started to make sense!  I actually learned something! -- and now I really enjoy swinging wet flies in all kinds of current.  It's fun and lazy ;).  Then I read a steelhead article from a magazine at the beer tie (awesome source of info BTW -- thank you, anonymous person!)  about using a sink tip and he was saying that he basically just finds a downstream angle, makes several casts with and without mends/split shot/etc.,  until he hangs on the bottom, then he backs it off a bit (casts at an angle more downstream, etc.).  That was the same issue where the advertisement said that you should 'not get worked over by your rod' and go buy a new one to fix the problem.

I try to do this (hanging bottom, not buying a new rod) now when I get some place I've never fished before (like Buffalo the other day). One pool there was too slow, so I was trying to put a belly in the line to speed up the drag -- downstream mends are wrong!  Like biking in the contra-flow lane!

GP is a great place to learn how to do this -- and there are probably big fish around there regularly for the picking!

And welcome Emily -- I love seeing more and more women interested in the group.  There is NO activity that cannot be made better when it's not just a "binder full of dudes" and I'll fist-fight anyone who says otherwise.  My experience bike commuting in traffic with Beth for the last 5 years has hammered this one in.  "Dear driver approaching from behind, please don't be a 18-40 year-old male, complete with high-risk-behavior and only a moderate regard for life.  You are the suck of society".

Gene

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM, Daniel Davala <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Brendan

May 7, 2013, 1:15:16 PM5/7/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
huh?

TurbineBlade

May 7, 2013, 8:05:08 PM5/7/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry!  I'll get it together, I promise.

Gene

Daniel Davala

May 7, 2013, 9:27:29 PM5/7/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Now THAT'S a "commercial" link!

Dan Davala

TurbineBlade

May 8, 2013, 7:08:16 AM5/8/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice Dan!  That's like my tooth-hurty, dentist joke.

While this thread is derailing quickly, here's an article from the only newspaper I ever read:  http://www.theonion.com/articles/17year-cicadas-horrified-to-learn-about-911,32341/

Gene
Gene

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/nAwUEMEmC10J.

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Emily Weaver

namfos

May 30, 2013, 8:50:03 AM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The process of learning this stuff and the surprise/wonder/astonishment that it works (and/or of often doesn't) is the fun part. ;-)

Mark

Rich, Marek

May 30, 2013, 2:53:40 PM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I use an app on my phone that I think is pretty handy and accurate – simple tides.

Danny Barrett

May 30, 2013, 2:55:47 PM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What was the app, is it for an android?

Dan Barrett

32 Highland Ave.
Morgantown, WV 26505

Rich, Marek

May 30, 2013, 4:36:49 PM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

The app is called “Simple Tides” and it’s for my IPhone. A search will reveal a number of handy, relatable tide apps to choose from.