Moving to Arlington in June - looking for advice

chad tokowicz

May 6, 2018, 4:29:16 PM5/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hello Everyone!

I am planning on moving to Arlington, VA this June as I just accepted a new position in the area.

I am a major fly fisherman and love to target anything that swims. I am most interested in fishing for striped bass and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips of where to start and look for these guys.

Tight lines!!

Sincerely,

Chad Tokowicz

Yambag Nelson

May 6, 2018, 7:11:40 PM5/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The Potomac river and Chesapeake bay are two places to look for stripers.

Miles

May 7, 2018, 7:48:13 AM5/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Welcome, Chad. You'll find lots of friendly and helpful anglers in this club, Yambag notwithstanding. Since you'll be in Arlington, the best way to get plugged in is to attend one of the Beer Ties.

The advice you get is going to depend on your equipment, budget, and time. Some of us chase stripers up and down the Chesapeake, while some of us stay in the Potomac. If you're pretty deep into the sport, you probably have the gear to catch stripers in any number of spots around here.

If you search previous messages, you can find a ton of info on where and when folks catch fish. Keep an eye on the forum around early June, and you'll see folks start to catch schoolie stripers in the Potomac in Arlington (technically, it's DC water), around Chain Bridge. If you want bigger fish, that's probably a Chesapeake trip. If you have the budget, a great way to get started around here is to hire a guide.

best,
Miles

chad tokowicz

May 7, 2018, 11:54:41 AM5/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Miles thank you for the response!! I am taking my time and looking over the recent threads about the hickory shad as well as the stripers.

I will be sure to attend the next beer tie to network, listen and learn about the fishery.

Your last message makes me hopeful, if there are fish to be caught I will figure out how to get to them!!!!!!!

Lastly, any guides you might recommend?

Tight lines!

Miles Townes

May 8, 2018, 12:09:29 AM5/8/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Rob Snowhite is the only one I've fished with, and he's great for fishing the D.C. area. From what I hear Kevin Josenhans is the guy for the Chesapeake, but I haven't fished with him. Another way to get plugged in is to drop by District Angling, in Arlington. It's a new shop but the owner, Richie, ran another shop in the area for years, so he can point you in the right direction.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

chad tokowicz

May 10, 2018, 4:35:20 PM5/10/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Really Appreciate the tip Miles. I will be sure to do make contact with District Angling as well as see about getting a guide, would have to spin that as a father and son trip as I am pretty strapped for cash.