Re: Trout Fishing the Jackson

Michael Vance

Feb 9, 2018, 11:13:42 AM2/9/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I would like to know where on the Jackson on can go wading or kayak/wade trout fishing this spring without getting into a conflict with land owners.

If anyone is planning a trip and open to inviting others, please let me know.  I am also interested in Mosey Creek and the Rapidan.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Bamboo Ed

Feb 10, 2018, 7:12:21 AM2/10/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I’ve been thinking about going down there if you want to team up. I think you can fish below the dam without issues.

Eric

Yambag Nelson

Feb 10, 2018, 9:20:00 AM2/10/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Be careful how far below as you will probably have issues.

MikeV

Feb 10, 2018, 11:00:48 AM2/10/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sounds good to me, lets do that Eric....any others interested?

What would be the best time to hit the Jackson...How about the Rapidan?

I've never fished for trout in Virginia, though I have lived here since 1990..... about time...

Mike

Bamboo Ed

Feb 11, 2018, 8:19:42 AM2/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you search for Jackson River on the Tidal Potomac group site, you can see all mentions on previous messages. Looks like it fishes year round. I’ll direct message you and anyone else that pops up interested in making a trip.

Jim Boryan

Feb 11, 2018, 1:51:40 PM2/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mike, Id be interested to fish the Jackson. I've only fished it one time and that was on private water. Would love to check out the public stretches.

Jim

MikeV

Feb 12, 2018, 7:20:47 AM2/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
It's a plan... I will probably make it a several day trip, maybe try other waters between DC and there. What would be the optimum date to go there? Optimum flys and set up?

N Elgas

Feb 12, 2018, 7:34:20 AM2/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Can't kayak in the hidden valley special reg section,  but you have 7 miles to wade  and hike.  Amazing area with lots of nice fish.  I have been in April and October and both times were awesome.  Never fished the trophy section below the dam,  but the upper section is one of my favorite streams in the state.

Charlie Church

Feb 12, 2018, 8:51:57 AM2/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The section immediately below the dam can be a tough wade but can fish quite well. Studs and a wading staff will help you out. I'm sure Richie has them at Distrct Angling.

My favorite section was actually the Indian Draft section. Quite a pretty area. Parker, Steve and I ended up fishing quite a ways downstream and hiking back at the end of the day.

Enjoy your time there. It's definitely a great place.

As far as the Rapidan, I have had luck year round as long as there is water. In the winter, warmer days are good. My experience there has always been that the less pressure the water has received, the better your chances are.

Dan Kozel

Feb 12, 2018, 9:41:54 AM2/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Mike,

I've had a handful of trips down there. Use this link provided by DGIF to view the access points for the section below Lake Moomaw. I have found that the Private Property is pretty well marked and all the access points have maps of the areas to avoid.
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013-jackson-river-tailwater-map.pdf
With this section being a tailwater it fishes year round. Hatches are pretty limited so i wouldn't worry too much about dry fly fishing. I have had most success wading below the dam using zebra midges, rainbow warriors, and other jig style nymphs with a tight-line (Euro setup). There is also an upper section that I believe has less of a private property issue. This section also receives regular stocking of hatchery fish.

Hope this helps.

Bamboo Ed

Feb 13, 2018, 7:12:00 AM2/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mike,

I saw your long email about camping spots and multi day trip, days of the week. I’m down with a weekday trip as I have some leave days to burn.

I did remember that the one time I tried to fish below the dam after a big rain that the river was unfishable because too much water was being released. Something to think about before driving to that particular spot.

I think camping is a good idea. I’d probably fish a couple days and stay one night.

For those that are interested, would you like to agree on April and then try to zero in on which days of month?

Eric

Bob Richey

Feb 13, 2018, 1:20:30 PM2/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Does anyone know if there are wildly producing trout in the upper section in addition to the stockies?

MikeV

Feb 13, 2018, 2:39:10 PM2/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Regarding the Jackson River outing, April works for me just fine, weather should be better then for camping out.

Yeah, lets try to be flexible enough to adjust our plans according to the weather and water levels.

Eric, lets plan on fishing the water you and Jim choose for the time you are both there.  I've never been there and I intend to stay longer I suspect, so I'll do my exploring after you all have left for home.

I can do wading or kayaking, whatever you all would like to do when you are there.

I just talked to a rep from the Corps of Engineers office with authority over the Dam and tailwater section, he said there is no permit or permission required from them but there are signs telling people how far to stay away from the dam outlet....

I have a map from Virginia showing in yellow the stretches where the Kings Grant no public fishing areas are approximately on the lower Jackson, see attached.

I can do the upper or lower, your choice... both sound great to me based on postings from others here..

I need to find out when I am obligated to run our flying operation at my flying club......if I am scheduled for that in April.  I'll let you know here once I find out. that is my only limitation..

See attached map...

2013-jackson-river-tailwater-map.pdf

MikeV

Feb 13, 2018, 2:47:49 PM2/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I just noticed that Dan gave a link to the same map I attached.... duh... thanks Dan... :-)

Mike Vance

MikeV

Feb 13, 2018, 6:00:29 PM2/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Regarding the Jackson trip in April,

OK, I will not have duty scheduled with my flying club in April, so I am open to do the Jackson River trip any time that month...

I intend to stay several days, so if you can only be there over a weekend, I will make sure that I am there with you... and I will stay through the weekdays that others would like to attend on as well.  So any day of the week that works for you, works for me as well.

I will make reservations for camping sites next to each other based on the number interested in camping.  Recommendations on camp sites are welcome as I have never been there...

Others that would like to join in, please just say so.  We can certainly organize so that we don't crowd each other on the water... There's lots of water to hit, so the more the merrier I think..  Should be fun hanging out around a camp fire at night as well...

Take care,

Mike Vance

Flyrodva

Feb 14, 2018, 8:28:22 AM2/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Guys, this Jackson outing sounds good and I’d like to join in. I’ll watch the board for info and any pre-trip meeting. Thanks for including me and look forward to it.
Flyrodva

MikeV

Feb 15, 2018, 8:03:41 AM2/15/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Welcome Flyrodva,

That makes 4 of us.

Please pick an 11 day weekend to weekend time frame in April that works for you and post it here. We can narrow down the dates that each of you can attend by early March so I can reserve a campsite(s) for as many days as needed. I am your host on this trip, will handle logistics, based on your wishes, as best I can. But I need input from experienced Jackson River fly fishers, I've never been there..

We should get together at the next beer tie to discuss at the latest..

Mike

Bamboo Ed

Feb 16, 2018, 7:58:56 AM2/16/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
As I said, I have leave to burn, but figure others may prefer weekends. Focusing on weekends, I'm most available April 21-22 and 28-29. I could do 14-15 in a pinch. I can do week days around those time frames as well.

Agree we should meet in person at beer tie. When is the next one so I can put on calendar?

MikeV

Feb 16, 2018, 8:40:22 AM2/16/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Jim and Flyrodva(your name?), could you attend the Jackson trip if we have it the April 21,22 weekend and/or weekdays following it?

Could you attend the next beer tie to discuss?

Flyrodva

Feb 16, 2018, 9:54:50 AM2/16/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi, Mike F. (Aka Flrodva) here. I’m checking on that April 21-22 weekend and following week. Will get back ASAP.

MikeV

Feb 16, 2018, 10:00:46 AM2/16/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

The next Beer Tie:

  • March 12, 2018 (Monday) - Beer Tie. Meet other club members at Whitlow's on Wilson in the Clarendon Community of Arlington from 7:00PM to 9:00PM to tie flies, talk fly fishing, and consume food and drink. We will be in the Sandbar and Patio area of Whitlow's. Bring a vise and materials if you would like to, we will also have a table set up to teach beginners how to tie as well. Find directions to Whitlow's here.
I'll be there to discuss the Jackson trip and to get input from others experienced on those waters.... please share you're recommendations

I'm a senior citizen with a gray beard and a bit overweight (hey, I'm workin on it... lol)

Mike

MikeV

Feb 19, 2018, 1:20:32 PM2/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I am curious what the adequate, ideal, and dangerous gauge heights would be for wading and kayaking on the Upper and Lower Jackson.  Anyone with knowledge of these levels from experience?

Upper Jackson Water Gauge:

Lower Jackson Water Gauge:

I don't see a 2018 routine schedule for Pulse releases at the Dam, apparently they schedule them based on current and forcasted water levels..

Dam Pulse Release Schedule:

Connor Donovan

Feb 20, 2018, 9:52:06 AM2/20/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My favorite flow to float is 500-600 cfs but have gone as low as 175.  In a raft, 250cfs or less and you'll likely drag in a few spots.  I've never kayaked it but have seen gaggles of locals floating stretches in sit-in's, on-tops, and in inner tubes at low summer flows.

For the lower Jackson, especially access points below Johnson Spring, keep in mind that there are a few tributaries that dump in above Covington that will pump in water during the spring or after rain or snow melt.  Take a look at the dam release gauge then check the gauge on the Jackson below Dunlap Creek.  Look up the Dunlap Creek gauge, subtract that and the dam release amount and it'll give you an idea of how much water the tributaries are dumping-in.

I would avoid the pulse release days for both wading and floating on any recreational kayak.
Message has been deleted