Top water flies?

psba...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2017, 1:55:37 PM4/17/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I know the sinking shad dart flies work, but I am not a huge fan, spinners are about the same. Is anyone using dry flies, the shad are eating a lot off of the top water?

Yambag Nelson

Apr 17, 2017, 2:00:26 PM4/17/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
No one is using dry flies to catch shad.

TurbineBlade

Apr 17, 2017, 2:27:09 PM4/17/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I hate spinners too -- very hard to thread on the hook.

Image result for mayfly spinner

Rob Snowhite

Apr 17, 2017, 2:27:52 PM4/17/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The only place I know of to catch shad on dries is on the Delaware River with Light Cahill dries. No joke.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 1:55 PM, psbanwell via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I know the sinking shad dart flies work, but I am not a huge fan, spinners are about the same. Is anyone using dry flies, the shad are eating a lot off of the top water?
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Richard Farino

Apr 17, 2017, 2:42:28 PM4/17/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Grizzly, one of our old employees, who has fished for shad as much as anyone and longer than most, used to swear the shad were coming up and eating caddis on the river.

One year I paid attention late in the season and he was right.  Only thing is the water has never been clear enough to really skate a dry and get the shad to chew it.

We threw a big Goddard caddis one year and had a fish blow up on it but never ate, and we weren’t sure it was a shad.

namfos

Apr 18, 2017, 1:45:07 PM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Ashley Frohwein

Apr 18, 2017, 6:12:59 PM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ummmmmmmmm. Spinners are the same as shad darts? And you've seen shad feeding heavily on spinners up top. I'm lost.

TurbineBlade

Apr 18, 2017, 7:29:37 PM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Excellent -- my work here is done.  ;)

Gene

namfos

Apr 19, 2017, 8:54:15 AM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
ROFLMAO

Bobby Davis

Apr 19, 2017, 10:03:12 AM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Me thinks the guy meant spin tackle spinners in the vein of mepps and rooster tails.  Just a thought

psba...@yahoo.com

Apr 19, 2017, 2:16:16 PM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
To clarify: I was looking for advice on hooking shad with dry flies, turns out that it is rare and difficult.

Thank you all for the tips,

Terry C

Apr 19, 2017, 5:07:36 PM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The biggest shad I ever caught was on a parachute Adams just before dark on the Upper Delaware.  I thought i hooked into a large trout.  When I got it in it was  a good 4 lb  A.shad.

Bobby Davis

Apr 21, 2017, 9:10:10 PM4/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Guys I watched a snakehead at Chain Bridge sip a caddis today.  File that under things I never thought I would type.  But seriously, it didn't come up and trash it like a bass on a popper, it came up and gently sipped in the caddis like it was a trout in a limestoner.  I was blown away.

Andrew Sarcinello

Apr 22, 2017, 11:47:36 PM4/22/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's really cool Bobby. I have caught some nice largemouths on small dry flies in ponds while fishing for bluegills...and yeah they just gently sipped it. Now that you've seen a snakehead do it, it makes me think all fish have at least some awareness of surface bugs.