Potomac from a SUP

Bruce Thomson

May 14, 2014, 1:06:38 PM5/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've taken a SUP out from Key Bridge Boathouse (formerly Jacks) a few times recently, and right at midday I'm seeing numerous rises (on the heat of the day) right out in front of the Georgetown Waterfront. Any idea what's rising and what they're rising to? I'm assuming white perch...

In any case, it got me thinking about taking my fly rod with me next time I go paddling about. I was thinking about taking my sink tip and stripping streamers along the banks upstream from the boathouse (and below Fletcher's).

This is my first time going after anything but shad on the Potomac - any recommendations on tackle/flies/techniques/etc would be welcome.

Thanks!
Bruce

thomso...@gmail.com

Lane

May 14, 2014, 2:10:46 PM5/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Bruce, I can only offer one anecdote in partial answer. A few years ago in May, a buddy and I were fishing for schoolie stripers near Fletchers when fish began to rise. I stuck with the schoolies on big clousers and sinking lines, but my buddy switched to a floating line, tied on an elk hair caddis and, as you surmised, proceeded to enjoy the rest of the evening dry fly fishing for white perch.

Vic Velasco

May 14, 2014, 4:06:33 PM5/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Bruce -

What kind of SUP do you have?

Chris S and I have Hooked SUPs and there are several more in TPFR that fish from SUPs (and even more that fish from kayaks).

As the water continues to warm up, the smallmouth bass will start slamming topwater - poppers and baitfish imitations.

Another place I launch from is Riverbend and Algonkian Parks, Pohick and any other regional park with a boat ramp.  Paddle towards the nearest weedline and hold on!

Vic

Howard Abramowitz

May 15, 2014, 10:55:28 PM5/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Vic, fishing the shore line with topwater is a blast from the SUP. If it's your first time trying to fish from one, fishing a floating line is probably easier than a sinking tip, since getting snagged on the bottom is one less thing to worry about.

I haven't been able to get out much this year, but I managed to get to roaches last Sunday, and try out my new gopro. Still got some kinks to work out on how to mount it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i09mqHsTGU

We should try and get another SUP outing together this spring.

Howard

Vic Velasco

May 16, 2014, 5:37:06 AM5/16/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Howard -

Nice video!  I've seen some huge snakehead in that same area (but like everyone else - I can't get them to bite a fly).

I'm leaving the area at the end of June (retiring from the Navy) - do you SUP guys want to do an outing May 24th, 31st or June 7th?

Vic

Joel Clement

May 16, 2014, 8:57:16 AM5/16/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Another sup'r here, definitely up for an outing after memorial day. One of my goals for the summer is a snake head sleigh ride! Striper took me for a ride off Jones point last summer, very fun. Let me know what weekend works for you guys, I put in at the canoe club upstream from Jacks.

Bruce Thomson

May 16, 2014, 12:15:11 PM5/16/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information, everyone.  So for now I don't own a SUP, I've just been renting them out from the Key Bridge Boathouse.  So, they are not exactly rigged for fishing, but I find them much more comfortable than kayaks, and for fly fishing, I like the idea of being up a bit higher (and stability isn't so bad if paddling/fishing on your knees).  Next time I take one out, I'll bring along the floating line and some flies/poppers and see what happens.

Howard Abramowitz

May 19, 2014, 7:36:13 PM5/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vic,

I can do the 24th or the 7th.

Howard

Vic Velasco

May 19, 2014, 10:23:09 PM5/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey SUPers -

Let's shoot for a paddle/fish session on the 7th (weather pending).

Is Roaches Run a good spot for everyone?  Last year's Fletcher's (post shad run) outing was pretty lack luster.

Also - I've launched from Algonkian Park and paddled upriver and have had great luck with smallmouth, largemouth, green sunfish and channel cats.  I think this would be a longer drive for most, but it is another option.

Vic

Joel Clement

May 20, 2014, 4:33:14 PM5/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Any of the above sound good for me on the 7th. If we launch at algonkian we might consider leaving a couple cars and drifting down to riverbend park. Some great basswater in there.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Vic Velasco

Joel Clement

May 20, 2014, 6:31:46 PM5/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I have a plastic board that i use for whitewater so it's not a problem, but we could put in at pennyfield lock instead and just do the portion from there to riverbend perhaps. Very purty and no rapids.

Joel Clement

May 25, 2014, 2:20:00 PM5/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've blocked out the 7th for sup fishing, happy to work on logistics if folks are interested in that section of the potomac. A bit of a trip to get cars over to the Virginia side and launch on MD side but doable. Nice drift, and kinda fun to duck as you go under the canal viaduct at pennyfield. You can even stay overnight in the lock house if interested. Hey what was good for Grover Cleveland is good for TPFR! Other watercraft welcome too of course!

Vic Velasco

Jun 3, 2014, 8:00:19 AM6/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Bump on this one - if you are still interested in doing a drift, post you want to go so the collective group can start looking at logistics (how many cars have to be downstream, agreement on launching and landing points, etc).

FYI for planning purposes, the approximate distance between Goose Creek and Riverbend Park is 13 miles;  From Algonkian Boat Landing to Riverbend is about 8.5 miles

Joel Clement

Jun 5, 2014, 12:55:14 AM6/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Lack of response tells me it’s a bad day for folks, how about Sunday the 8th? We could get an early start and pick a nice mellow drift so you don’t have to worry about riffles or rocks. Kayakers welcome too, let’s get the snakehead tourney gang back together! I’ll look at flows after all this rain, Sunday may mean better conditions anyway.

--

http://www.tpfr.org

FlyTimesDC

Jun 5, 2014, 3:17:12 PM6/5/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Joel - Team UA for life, son! Still looking to swap out the yak for SUP. Will let you know when I get in the game!

Joel Clement

Jun 7, 2014, 1:30:20 AM6/7/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Vic drop a line if you want to put something together, jcle...@gmail.com.