Snakeheads Now Allowed in Some Restaurants & Markets

Jeff Cook

Jul 2, 2018, 1:52:47 PM7/2/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Lots of new Virginia laws take effect today, including this:

HB 1404. Snakehead fish; certified restaurants and retail markets. The law exempts certain restaurants and retail markets from the prohibition against purchasing or selling processed snakehead fish.

Tom Moran

Jul 2, 2018, 3:04:21 PM7/2/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Makes sense obviously, the snake has long since been out of the bag in terms of trying to contain the spread.  Creating and supporting a local commercial fishery would seem a better path forward.

Attached, a picture from 2012, I think this was in the back of Piscataway Creek - look closely for the yellowish snakehead fry.  I scooped up a bit of submerged vegetation and caught dozens.  I had spooked the momma and the fry were just teeming in her wake.
IMG00214-20120617-1201.jpg