4MR at Bluemont Park

Jamie Carracher

Jul 24, 2015, 11:53:33 AM7/24/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My company is having a work function there next week, and I saw on the website there is fishing. I did a search on the forum and didn't see any mention of this park. Has anyone ever been around there and is it worth it to trying fishing with a fly rod?

Bamboo Ed

Jul 25, 2015, 7:25:39 AM7/25/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Don't bother

TurbineBlade

Jul 25, 2015, 7:54:51 AM7/25/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, eho...@gmail.com
It might be worth taking a look if you're right there, but generally I understand from Rob that as you get above Mt. Vernon Ave. the water gets pretty skinny.  There might not be "fishing sized" fish up there.

Oddly, I recall about 6 years (or 7) ago when they used to stock the upper 4MR with trout.  We biked through there one day and saw a lot of people with their kids out there fishing for trout.  I assume this program was abandoned either due to poaching or feasibility.

Gene

On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 7:25:39 AM UTC-4, Bamboo Ed wrote:
Don't bother

Brendan

Jul 25, 2015, 11:25:10 AM7/25/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, eho...@gmail.com, doubl...@gmail.com
kinda want to prank you and tell you to bring waders and an 8wt, but there's nothing in the water there besides eels.

As far as the trout, the $2,500 they used to spend on kids fishing day was cut from the county budget as wasteful/trivial spending...  Funny how this was around the same time the county started building million dollar bus stops and multimillion dollar dog parks.

Jamie Carracher

Jul 27, 2015, 12:04:02 PM7/27/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, eho...@gmail.com, doubl...@gmail.com, brenda...@gmail.com
Thanks for the honesty, y'all!