Is the shad run over?

Jim White

Apr 29, 2016, 5:28:14 PM4/29/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My brother-in-law and I are planning another shad fishing expedition to Fletcher's tomorrow. Anyone still catching shad there?

Rob Snowhite

Apr 29, 2016, 6:22:09 PM4/29/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
TPFR Alex M. got some big hickories and an American from shore today. American was just under the surface. Loads of schoolies.

Anyone else notice fewer herons than in years past? They used to be all over the river, fighting each other for a good spot. Seems like Vultures outnumber the herons now a days. Fewer snakehead this year too.

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org

arthur...@gmail.com

Yambag Nelson

TurbineBlade

Apr 29, 2016, 9:15:01 PM4/29/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I sure hope so Jim!  ;)

Gene

Charlie Church

Apr 30, 2016, 10:02:30 AM4/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Was also out on Thursday. There were a decent amount of hickories and some americans as well. A lot more stripers than expected too.

Hope you get into them today.

Jim White

Apr 30, 2016, 6:24:06 PM4/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
No, the shad run is NOT over! Epic day at Fletcher's Cove today (Saturday). Fished 0600 to 1330. Had to leave when my right arm began to go numb from the endless process of, cast-hook up-strip in-boat fish-remove hook-toss fish back- repeat. Only my third time fishing the Potomac shad run but it certainly lived up to the stories I'd heard. Thanks again to Gene for sharing a current seam and leaving some fish for Ron and me (Gene and Beth caught far more than we did - we convinced ourselves there is magic in those fiberglass rods!).

A fabulous day on the river!

Cheers all,
Jim
Message has been deleted

TurbineBlade

Apr 30, 2016, 9:18:31 PM4/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yep -- another fun day with plenty of shad to go around.  I was glad we made it out there.  I'll probably repurpose the same ff706 soon for bass and bluegill duty.

And you're modest Jim -- I think you pulled in more today than everyone within eyeshot put together.  No exaggeration.

You and Ron are extremely courteous anglers and are easy to share a seam with out there --

Gene

Steven Butler

May 2, 2016, 8:43:41 AM5/2/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Was out Saturday from about noon-4:00, fished the seam outside the dock and upriver a bit with no luck using full sink line (admittedly my first time using a full sink line) with shad fly/clousers changing up depths and retrieve patterns--only two bites. Was I doing something wrong or are the fish farther up toward Chain Bridge at this point? I saw a lot of people fishing farther up, but down where I was nobody was pulling anything in. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Yambag Nelson

May 2, 2016, 8:56:19 AM5/2/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was there Sat afternoon from like 3 to 6 and it was slow in that area. I got one nice American and that was it. I caught some fish upriver (hickories and schoolies) but it was not great. I didn't see anyone doing very well anywhere. I doubt you were doing anything wrong. A month ago you could have fished there and caught 50 fish.

Greggory DiSalvo

May 2, 2016, 9:13:11 AM5/2/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Steven, My experience the last few Saturdays is that the bite really slows around noon.  The shad have been blasting the flies towards the top pretty consistently during the morning hours, especially on wet days, but move deeper later in the day.  This weekend I switched to some larger flies trying to get on some striper in the afternoon.  Broke off on one, lost two, and finally got one in the boat.

-Gregg

TurbineBlade

May 2, 2016, 9:20:13 AM5/2/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Saturday morning was very good early (we start as soon as they release the boats), though not the absurdity of last weekend (for us anyway -- Jim was another story and he was anchored just a stone's throw up). It got slower for us in the afternoon, and we headed out. I was telling Jim that last weekend's Fri and Sun was as many fish are Beth and I can ever remember catching, anywhere.

This was all further up river -- we tried the area out from the launch a few weeks ago and found it slow, so we moved up.

Gene

Rob Snowhite

May 2, 2016, 11:35:25 AM5/2/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We did quite well from shore on Saturday morning. Big hickory shad and loads of schoolies. Morgan from @TLTFF watched a guy get covered in cormorant guano. He would get squirted and look around but couldn't figure out where it came from. He never looked into the tree above.

We also got a foul hooked needlefish. First one of those spotted his year. Yuck.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Sam Zimmerman

May 3, 2016, 10:22:52 PM5/3/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yesterday before rain.  20 or so in  2 hours including one American.  All good sized.
P1070654.JPG
P1070658.JPG