Rapidan River

Parker

Jun 30, 2017, 10:52:39 AM6/30/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I found an oyster shell in the upper Rapidan last weekend. Any theories on how it got there? Evolution...birds...camping in style??
IMG_4921.JPG
IMG_4891.JPG

Charlie Church

Jun 30, 2017, 11:22:21 AM6/30/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's pretty crazy. It's lost all color too.

I have been fishing oyster bars a lot recently and haven't seen any with coloration like that. Could it be a super old oyster?

As far as how it got there, I have 0 clue.

namfos

Jul 3, 2017, 11:27:36 AM7/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That brookie is a beauty

Namfos

Matt S.

Jul 6, 2017, 6:56:47 AM7/6/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Cool. Fossil, maybe? If not I'm guessing it might have arrived in the park in a dump truck carrying road construction sand.

Nice brookie. Were the water levels and fishing good? Haven't been up there in a while.

Yambag Nelson

Jul 6, 2017, 9:09:12 AM7/6/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was there on sunday.  Water was lowish but certainly fishable.  Fishing was good but the fish were a bit spooky.  If you go, watch your step, quite a few snakes around.

Andrew Sarcinello

Jul 6, 2017, 12:00:13 PM7/6/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was also in the park Saturday and Sunday. Fished a smaller stream - flows were good for the time of year (about the same now as late May of last year). Water temps 62-64. Fish were demolishing stimulators.

Some parts of the park got a ton of rain yesterday, which only helps.  I'll be there Saturday hiking.