Tiger Muskie

MattySt

Oct 13, 2016, 11:14:56 AM10/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Has anyone gone after tiger muskie around the area on the fly? I hear there are some resident populations, one in particular around Gaithersburg area.

Scott Stankus

Oct 13, 2016, 11:26:36 AM10/13/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to hear if others have had any success. I've just began to fish for them out of my canoe (logged about 6 hours so far this week) in that Gaithersburg location, but haven't seen one yet. That's no real surprise, though - it's musky fishing!

I plan to keep at it...

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

MattySt

Oct 13, 2016, 11:32:40 AM10/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
@Scott what are you using? Streamers, but bucktails? top water? sink leaders?

Scott Stankus

Oct 13, 2016, 11:41:02 AM10/13/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My setup is a 10-wt rod with a 450 grain Orvis Depth Charge line. A short 20-pound mono leader (need to upgrade this) to about a foot of knotable wire leader. For flies, mostly bucktail streamers like the Optic Minnow. I also need to tie some larger articulated musky flies, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

It's a work in progress!

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Oct 13, 2016, 12:02:55 PM10/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've considered going up there, but I don't like anything ending in "elphia", so you're all safe from me flopping around, scaring everything.

Hey Scott -- Did you fool around with that titanium stuff?  I really enjoyed that stuff, but everyone kind of has a different opinion on that and many methods work.  I wish there were pike (or hybrids) nearby.  I can see that being a blast, and even in the cooler months you'd have something to do.

Gene

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:14:56 AM UTC-4, MattySt wrote:
Has anyone gone after tiger muskie around the area on the fly? I hear there are some resident populations, one in particular around Gaithersburg area.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Scott Stankus

Oct 13, 2016, 12:13:16 PM10/13/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'd love to have a nearby pike population to harass! That would be great fun!

I tried the Knot2Kinky stuff, but I really didn't like it at all. I found it to be way stiffer and less knottable than the AFW wire that I'd used in the past. Maybe I got the wrong kind? I ended up switching back, even though the AFW wire curls pretty badly after a few fish.

--Scott

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:02 PM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

TurbineBlade

Oct 13, 2016, 12:46:36 PM10/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The AFW stuff is quite good -- I'd be happy using that if nothing else were available.

The knot2kinky I liked best, partially because of how stiff it is ;).  It is knottable, but only in the loosest sense of the word.  The knots don't completely close like a regular knot, but I found the knots that it does tie to be impossible to break.  AFW knots much better.  I only used perfect loops and figure 8 knots (or 1-turn clinch).

I did find that even the expensive locks would open on occasion from casting, but not enough to make me discontinue using them.

The only thing that surprised me up there was how the use of a wire tippet and a really short leader seemed to have virtually no effect on the willingness of LMB and SMB to take flies.

Anyway, fishing for fish with large teeth is all a big trade off right?  ;)  You take your pick, and hope for some fish.

Gene

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 12:13:16 PM UTC-4, Scott S wrote:
[...]

John Smith

TurbineBlade

Oct 13, 2016, 1:37:32 PM10/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
And there's yet another method (80-pound fluoro crimped).  That only leaves single strand (piano wire - haywire twist), and maybe something like 100+ pound hard mono (like Mason).

Pretty fly John -- I like it.  I'd probably have to use wood duck flank (since it's what I have) but it would probably work too.  I've not seen a treble hook used in that way before, but anything that may make a fly fisherman feel uncomfortable gives me an immense feeling of pleasure ;).

Gene

John Smith

Oct 13, 2016, 2:30:31 PM10/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Gene. Probably just poor hook setting technique on my part but I sure tried to give the good hard strip strike. Given that I donated blood several times while attaching the treble is any indication of its effectiveness, I should land one for sure. Forgot to mention, those flies should be in the 9-11 inch+ range. I tried smaller versions of streamers like hang time, optic minnow, etc. without getting much of a look until I put on the big articulated stuff. Backcasting worked best for me.

Scott Stankus

TurbineBlade

Oct 13, 2016, 2:45:34 PM10/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Wow, those are some long flies.  I have to admit that I get some wrist and elbow discomfort from casting 6-7" bucktails on a stiff 8-weight for several hours.  I actually feel like it's the rod itself more than anything that gives me problems.  I may not have the gumption to throw those big suckers on a 10-weight for very long, unless Musky suddenly get a heck of a lot more excitable and become "the fish of 14 - 17.5 casts".

I can think of a variety of things that would meet the criterion of "backcasting", but I'm assuming you are referring to water hauling and then dumping your backcast as opposed to standard overhead casting such a rig?  I do that from boats, or when wading if I have a lot of room.  It also helps deal with 25mph wind in my experience.

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 2:34:48 PM UTC-4, Scott S wrote:
[...]

John Smith

Oct 13, 2016, 3:19:10 PM10/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yeah, that is probably what I am doing. Maybe its psychological. I just seem to fare better making a false cast or two toward the center of the river and then letting my back cast drop along the shoreline or some structure I am fishing. I almost never use floating lines anymore so my style is more slinging, ducking, and hoping for the best. I have a fast action one piece 11 wt that I use too, which helps with the large stuff.

D. Walker

Oct 14, 2016, 6:23:35 AM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am curious, those who fish for muskie or know anything about them, which would you say is tougher to catch on the fly.... a local muskie (within 2 hrs)  OR  a snakehead.

Scott Stankus

Oct 14, 2016, 6:55:01 AM10/14/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's a tough call. Considering I haven't even seen a musky within 2 hours and I've caught Snakeheads, I'm going to say musky. Though at this point I've spent a lot more time targeting Snakeheads than I've spent targeting local musky.

Either way, both are elusive - which is probably why I like them!

--Scott

TurbineBlade

Oct 14, 2016, 8:51:16 AM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Muskie are without question harder to catch in my estimation.  I've caught 7 (?) NSH here locally, most of which blind casting to structure and not even thinking about them.  Beth (over the same time) has caught 2 on spinning gear.  That said, I did not catch a single one this year.

One she caught actually "sewed its own mouth shut" with the hook on the spinner ;).  The 1st one I ever caught (little one) was on 4-pound (4x) tippet, and the two Beth has caught were on UL spinning tackle (4 pound mono).

I don't see that happening with Muskie.  There's a lot more pre-planning involved for success, and even then it's a crapshoot to some degree (all Muskie guys have a story about one rolling and having their 80-100 pound tippet go "ping" like it was nothing).

Muskie might as well by a myth to me.

Yambag Nelson

Oct 14, 2016, 9:41:56 AM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I like that setup.  Fluoro over wire anyday..

I have always fallen under the rule of using huge flies for musky, but I was up in Hayward (musky capitol of the world) a couple weeks ago and didn't move a fish throwing the huge stuff.  Switched to a much smaller fly (maybe 6 inches) and moved 9 fish.  Could have been a case of "that's musky fishing" or maybe they really did prefer something smaller.  We were using intermediate lines on 9 weights which made casting a whole lot more enjoyable.

Nick F - Gaucho Fly

Oct 14, 2016, 10:34:19 PM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
check out the copy of bluewater fly fishing in the background. Now that is a good book.  nice fly too.

John Smith

Oct 15, 2016, 8:24:12 AM10/15/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ha, picked that book up at The Angler's Lie back when I was getting into Albie fishing. Those were the days..

Jim White

Oct 17, 2016, 8:01:10 AM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This from the Fairfax County Parks pages - "Burke Lake may be the best muskie water in northern Virginia when fish are shallow in late winter and early spring."

This past spring by brother in law and I returned from a long day of fishing Burke Lake. Next to us a father-son pair were also returning their boat. I asked how the fishing was and he replied that he and his son had caught two muskie. When he saw my raised eyebrow and the look of total disbelief on my face he pulled out his cell phone and showed pics. One of him with a fish and one of his son (who looked to be about 10 years old) holding another fish (clearly two different fish). The clothing in the pics matched what they were wearing. The guy said that the fish were about 24" each and were caught on rubber worms tossed in shoreline weed beds where they were targeting bass. A few weeks later I chatted up a VDGIF rep who stated that Burke Lake was used as a breeding ground for muskie that were then collected and placed in other waters in northern Virginia. He said that he thought there were some big muskie in Burke Lake.

Last weekend for boat rentals at Burke Lake is the end of October so you'll need your own boat to target winter/early spring muskie. Lots of kayak/canoe guys on the boards here, someone should give it a go.

Cheers,
Jim

Jeffrey Silvan

Oct 17, 2016, 10:02:08 AM10/17/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I tried for muskie in Burke on opening weekend this year when the fish should have been in the shallows and I targeted the leftover sticks from last year's weedbeds and other shallow water structure. I didn't see a single musky. Of course, I was also trying the VA river style of muskie fishing where I was throwing 10" plus flies, so maybe Burke lake muskies don't like the big stuff. Or maybe I just didn't fish the right places.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bob Smith

Oct 17, 2016, 5:22:13 PM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
They set the nets for collecting Muskies for eggs off the points around the lake. Might be a clue ;-)