Thingamabobber issues

Matthew Longley

Mar 25, 2018, 7:04:28 PM3/25/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've been messing around with my steelhead nymphing leaders, and I found a taper that I love, with a short ~15lb section of amnesia that I slip a thingamabobber on. Only issue is, after casting if for half a day I realized the 15lb test was fraying around where the thingamabobber was hooped. Has anyone had issue with this before? Do I just need to secure the indicator on thicker butt section?

Dalton Terrell

Mar 25, 2018, 8:22:45 PM3/25/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Matt,

Check out these Airlock bobbers, same concept but much better design. They’re easy to install and move around, and don’t chafe or kink your leader at all.

http://fishairlock.com

Dalton

Andrew Chaney

Mar 26, 2018, 9:07:02 AM3/26/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've had the similar issues with thingamabobbers. They tend to kink up my line and make it weaker. I've never heard of Airlock bobbers, but they look great. I'll have to give them a shot!

Gregg DiSalvo

Mar 26, 2018, 9:27:07 AM3/26/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I grabbed some in colorado a few years back and really like them.  super easy to adjust (just don't lose the gasket!) and leaves the line kink free.  I will say that I prefer the smallest size as they are a bit heavy and give a big splash.  Nt a hge deal when nymphing fast water.