New To DC and looking for Smallies

Lisa Friday

Apr 30, 2016, 5:44:15 PM4/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hello all, I am looking to make my first trip out to the Potomac next Sat (May 7th) and I'm looking for suggestions on where to wade. I'm aware that the rain may make it difficult to wade next weekend so it could just turn into a scouting trip. I do like to catch fish but I also like to get away from the crowds so I'm not afraid to may a hike to a more secluded fishing hole. Any suggestion on areas I should look into would be greatly appreciated. I have a 6 and an 8 weight rod and a large supply of wolly buggers, crayfish and closures. Any suggestions on which rod to use and favorite patterns would also be helpful. Also, do you guys suggest using a PFD when wading?

Thanks!
Lisa

Carl Z.

Apr 30, 2016, 10:58:11 PM4/30/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
First,

Safety.  The biggest issue is respecting the river.  Wading between little-falls and Great-falls is possible, but can be dangerous. The bottom is just like the rocks around the area, jagged with drop offs and places to get your foot caught (which are also places for fish to hide).  I personally don't like to fish it when the little falls gauge is above 3.8.  Further upstream, the river gets shallower and isn't as bad.  I don't wade in the spring myself.  I wait for the water to warm up and wet-wade when the water gets warmer.   I don't wear a PFD, but swamped waders scare me in the Potomac.

Check the forecast (see the links below),  The prediction is for the river to rise quite a bit this week.  You probably don't want to be wading next weekend.

There are a few people who guide out of Harpers Ferry.  I've used Mark Kovatch (https://www.mkfs.com) and been happy.

Three  sites to keep an eye on for water levels.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bob Bishop

Apr 30, 2016, 11:11:15 PM4/30/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Lisa,
We have found that it's best to let the river drop to 3 ft or below at the little falls station for safe wading in the Potomac.  Here's the website to check:
 The river usually doesn't get this low until mid summer, but if you do go out there, go with a friend, a wading staff and it is a good idea to wear a pfd.  Until then, fishing from the bank and outlying rocks around the chain bridge area and above Fletchers can yield some pretty good shad and striper catches.

 Sent from my iPad.

TurbineBlade

namfos

May 1, 2016, 11:49:32 AM5/1/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you're fishing the Potomac in the vicinity of Harpers Ferry and downstream, the Point of Rocks gage is the one to watch, http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01638500. If igage height is above 2.0 ft. that's too much water to contend with IMO. Better that it be 2.0 ft and falling, although I like wading in the Harpers vicinity best if it's under 1.75 ft.

There's a useful map here, http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01638500 that shows all the USGS gages in the Potomac River basin. Interstate Commissison on Potomac River Basin also has info and sells some good maps too. https://www.potomacriver.org/resources/maps/

Like Carl, I prefer to wait for warmer weather and wade wet, and still I've had my share of dunkings and in one knee bruising and palm abrading case a very large smallie took my gear hostage.   ;-)

Mark

DaveSurfs

May 1, 2016, 2:19:46 PM5/1/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Lisa,

If you're looking for a little more seclusion and a little less risk, take a look at the Rappahannock upstream of Fredericksburg. Don't get me wrong, high water is dangerous anywhere, and the Rapp can sweep you away as fast as any other, but as you consider options the Rapp should be on your list. You can always check the flow rate near Fredericksburg here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv?site_no=01668000   Anything 3 ft and under is very wade-able. The other thing to note is the Rapp takes a few days after any peak rainfall to really clear. If the graph shows several feet of change, the river make take as many as 4-5 days to really clear up. Anything under a foot of change and the water usually clears in a couple days.

One of the best guides on wading the Rapp as well as other area rivers including the Potomac is on Switchfisher's website: http://www.switchfisher.com/ Steve Moore does a great job of describing access points, water, and in some cases even which bank or pool to look for.

Best of luck and "Tight Lines,"

Dave

vladimir polivanov

May 2, 2016, 2:25:32 PM5/2/16
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
Hi Lisa,
              Two spots which are good wading : Violettes Lock off River Rd. in Montgomery County MD. And Harper's Ferry area about an 1 hrs 15min from the DC area, not far from Frederick, MD.You may want too use a PFD, your first couple of times wading , at least until you good feel for the River. I've been fishing the Potomac since I was in High School and usually don't start wading till Memorial Day Weekend. You have a good selection of flies to start with, if you can add some C.K. Baitfish to your arsenal of  flies. I would personally use the 8wt.

Vladimir ( Vo )

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 6:29 AM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Lisa Friday

Misha Gill

May 3, 2016, 1:48:08 PM5/3/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I love the gorge section of Big Hunting. It's basically from Frank Bentz Memorial Pond up to the first bridge where the ranger station is located. I would drive past the pond and then pull into one of the first three turn offs that can accommodate your vehicle and that looks good to you. Above the ranger station it turns into a little more of a wooded stream that holds plenty of fish and also gets stocked with rainbows.

TurbineBlade

May 3, 2016, 3:09:42 PM5/3/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Misha is spot-on.  I actually don't like BHC all that much due to the cars buzzing around on 77 and the pressure, but it can be fun and some of the fish have good size.  Every time we've gone there Beth has hooked a really nice brown (though landing it has proven less predictable).  I seem to get rainbows a lot right by the ranger station.  There are a couple of pockets where they always seem to be.

Gene

Evan D

May 3, 2016, 4:14:46 PM5/3/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
When it comes to smallies don't forget the other rivers north of city.  Monocacy, Great Seneca Creek, Antietam all have good smallmouth fishing and are generally easier to wade than the Potomac.  I'd focus on sections of those rivers closer to their mouths if you aren't familiar with other sections.  The gorge section of BHC is beautiful water, but can get crowded.  It seems that is the way of all our wild trout waters these days.  Its great to see fly fishing and the interest in wild trout taking off, but I remember when I could fish Beaver Creek on a beautiful Saturday and not see another person.  The crowds certainly makes us all better fisherman, having to focus more and make every cast and every spot count! :)  I just wish the state would see the benefits of managing for wild trout and stocking less!

arthur...@gmail.com

May 3, 2016, 4:38:29 PM5/3/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Evan,

I second your notion about the wild trout management.

Art

Sent from my iPhone

Marek Rich

May 3, 2016, 4:48:22 PM5/3/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I waded the Monocacy yesterday afternoon from 4-7 and did well with crayfish patterns. Low and slow was the ticket, with production in both orange and darker shades performing the best. Easily landed over a dozen. Good fun on the 5 weight!

Gene

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Misha Gill

May 4, 2016, 10:32:06 AM5/4/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
What part of the Monocacy did you hit? I've fished a couple sections, it can be good but sometimes the fish are really spread out.

Marek Rich

May 4, 2016, 11:33:44 AM5/4/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Broadly speaking, I like 3 sections of the Monocacy but only because these are the only sections I’ve ever fished J

In no particular order of preference:

-          Park Mill Road and Greenfield Rd

-          Fingerboard and Michaels Mill Rd

-          Urbana Pike and Araby Church Rd

Fished Urbana Pike above the bridge on Monday. Look for where Bush Creek enters. I also like around the bridge pilings. Let me know when you are heading out and maybe we can hit it together.

Marek

What part of the Monocacy did you hit? I've fished a couple sections, it can be good but sometimes the fish are really spread out.

--

http://www.tpfr.org

Misha Gill

May 5, 2016, 11:00:34 AM5/5/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nice, Miles and I floated Fingerboard to Park Mills Road one time and had a pretty good day. I've visually scoped out the Urbana Pike spot when we stopped to check out the Monocacy battlefield. Looks nice. Thanks for the info!