Float trip in PA

Piru Creek

Apr 22, 2015, 9:38:39 AM4/22/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the NCR (moved from sunny but parched SoCal) and have read about some great trout fishing in the PA area. I would like to do a full day float trip in PA somewhere, anyone have a recommendation on guide and water?

Thanks!
Greg

Misha Gill

Apr 22, 2015, 5:46:09 PM4/22/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hmm float trip for trout in PA... I would look into the Little Juniata and the Youghigheny near Ohiopyle. I've always wanted to fish the Little J. It's a tailwater that goes through a canyon. Supposed to be pretty good. It is very remote though, about 4+ hours from NOVA. The nearest float trip for trout is on the North Branch of the Potomac in Maryland, I believe.

Most of the great trout fishing in PA is due to the influence of springs on freestone streams or spring creeks. There's the Yellow Breeches, Big Spring, Letort, and Falling Springs all within reach of a day trip. Wading is the name of the game (although not so much in the Letort).

You should also look into float trips for smallmouth bass. The main stem of the Potomac River is pretty good, and the Susquehanna in PA is awesome, and so is the Shenandoah main stem, north fork, and south fork. Canoe trips on smaller mid size streams for smallies are also a blast.

Yambag Nelson

Apr 22, 2015, 5:54:56 PM4/22/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Delaware and its west branch are on the border of pa. Arguably the best river east of the mississippi. Lots of guides floating it.

Jeremy Dusina

Apr 23, 2015, 10:00:27 AM4/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I second the West branch of the Delaware. Large, technical river, perfect for a float trip. Plus there are smaller streams around to wade if you want a change in scenery.

I stayed at and floated with West Branch Anglers and Resort. They were great and have an outfitting store onsite.They are on the NY side of the river.

namfos

Apr 23, 2015, 11:46:05 AM4/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Stop by one of the fly shops (Urban Angler. Orvis) and grab a copy of Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide to get an idea of what's in PA.

Mark

Piru Creek

Apr 24, 2015, 7:34:20 AM4/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the advice everyone! I hope to meet some of you soon at the next TU meeting or at a beer tie.

Regards,
Greg

Brendan

Apr 27, 2015, 9:56:03 AM4/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
no better intro to PA trout fishing than the Letort. just bring lots of tippet and a tall boy to break up the break offs.

not really many float trips. you can float yellow breeches. but i don't know of any outfitters that do that.  susquehanna is great tho for canoeing & smallmouth. Conodoquinet is mostly a smallmouth and golden bass stream but holds a lot of trout this time of year in the feeder springs along the banks and coming up from the bottom.  there are a couple guides up in boiling springs/carlisle/mechanicsburg area.  if you really want to float for trout, might want to consider the NB Potomac and tho i've never done a trip with them heard great things about eastern trophies guided float trips. The Delaware is also an option tho quite the hike. Home waters of Richie at Urban Angler, so he's a good person to ask about that, tho he mostly focuses on fishing for chubs and bluegill.