A few questions

Eric the lost cause

Aug 17, 2016, 2:45:25 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My names Eric and I have a few questions, all of these questions aren't on one particular subject just generalized information I would need to go on the tidal potomac for the first time.
Question number one - What is the ideal spey rod specs for absolutely everything from bass and carp in a lake to stripers and redfish in the bay. (Shoutout to Chris Wilson for teaching my how to use a Spey Rod)

Question number two - Ok so long story short I had talked to Rob Snowwhite about tagging along with him the next time he heads to the tidal potomac, he said yes which is really cool because I'm a fan of his podcast but aside from that, I need a general overview of the layout and structure on the tidal basin and maybe and some fly suggestions based on personal experience.

Final question - Is guide school worth it? I want to start guiding when I'm out of school and wanna know if guide school is a plus.

Message has been deleted

namfos

Aug 17, 2016, 8:53:44 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
ROFLMAO!

In addition to blogging, you should do flyfishing humor podcasts. I'm serious.

Mark

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 5:15:18 AM UTC-4, TurbineBlade wrote:
Hi Eric,
...oh baby we got a spey fishing question!

Spey rods (as I understand) were first thunk-up...

Charlie Church

Aug 17, 2016, 9:02:16 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm not sure the success rate(from graduation to palcement) but the lodge I used to work at will hire folks from Guide School (http://www.sweetwatertravel.com/site/guide-school.html). If you are interested in guiding, it might be an easier step in the door to working in Alaska if that's what you want.

Yambag Nelson

Aug 17, 2016, 9:10:06 AM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The last post is primarily nonsense, but it is somewhat correct in the sense that a Spey rod isn't necessary and would probably be more of a burden for most of the fishing you do in this area. Exceptions are Fletcher's if you are fishing from shore or maybe gravelly if you are right handed, maybe a couple other places. That said, most of us fish all over including places where a Spey rod is an extremely useful tool. To answer the question, if I had to pick one I would go with a 13'7 wt.

By the way, Spey rods were being used way before they caught on out west.

Message has been deleted

TurbineBlade

Aug 17, 2016, 3:31:27 PM8/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
On second thought, this should probably be less bizarre since you have sincere questions and don't know who is nuts in the club yet.

Hang with Rob.  Observe.  Learn.  That reminds me, I need to return some really nice "spey" (cough) flies he generously gave us when we went up to NY last fall.

All fly rods, from 1-weights to 14' spey rods are toys.  That's why the hobby is great.

If you want to get into DH rods, there are a lot of folks on here who are very proficient 'repositioners'  and can teach you everything you need to know and then some.  All rods do the same thing, so the principles are the same regardless of what you're doing.

Fly suggestions?  Most everything works, depending upon what you like and what you want to catch.  I tend to prefer various leech/bugger patterns using material that has a lot of movement (rabbit, marabou, etc.) versus bucktails.  The two most common flies for "bassing" around here are probably blue poppers and chartreuse/white clouser minnows.

Check out one of the local beer ties and you'll learn even more -- (like how to fight bears, use rotenone, etc.)

Gene

Eric the lost cause

Aug 17, 2016, 5:32:10 PM8/17/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm gonna take turbineblades advice because he made me laugh first :).
--
http://www.tpfr.org

20011752

Carl Z.

Aug 17, 2016, 10:34:52 PM8/17/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I think Gene has you covered :-)

But for guide school, I think you're asking the wrong people.  My understanding is it's hard work, low pay and you have to pretend to like your clients.  Sort of like any other job. However you do get to live in fishing country.

Carl

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Carl Z.

Aug 17, 2016, 10:40:24 PM8/17/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 5:15 AM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:
2.  You've stared longingly at an old brake drum and thought "this is what fly reels should look like".

I think I pulled this one off an old AMC Gremlin

​And that fish was mighty feisty.

namfos

Aug 18, 2016, 8:38:13 AM8/18/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Wisdom! Pure wisdom, Eric! For that alone you cannot be considered a "lost cause."

Good work, Gene!

Mark