Some TPFR updates

Dalton Terrell

Oct 29, 2015, 8:30:07 PM10/29/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
TPFRs,

I have a few updates on the club as your new president. The leadership is thrilled with where Dan left the club and we have a few ideas about where we're going. I want to share some short term goals and longer term goals as well as an update to our commercial posting policy.

Within the next few months, we have a few deliverables that you should hold me to:
- New hats, this time from a new vendor and hopefully they don't fade from green to orange
- Shirts: one of our members has volunteered to design a graphic for shirts--we can't wait to see what he comes up with and get these made
- Credit card reader at Beer Ties: we want to make it easier for you to help us raise money
- New ideas for Beer Ties: in addition to our beginners table we want to add a more advanced pattern "assignment" for our more seasoned tyers

In the longer term:
- Booth at the Virginia Fly Fishing and Wine Featival in the Spring
- Bluegill Tournament: McFly recommended this years ago, we are going to make this happen next Summer

Outside of this, we will be working with other ideas we come up with or ideas you contribute. Feel free to post here or e-mail any of us directly.

In addition to these goals, we want to let you know we've updated our policy regarding commercial posts. None of the officers or members want to see tons of spam posts here, but we have decided to allow posts from commercial members announcing free fishing events (fly tying demonstrations, fly fishing classes, special speakers, etc.). We think these events fit with the ethos of our club and can benefit our members without being in your face advertising. However, to our commercial members, you must clear these posts with us before posting (shoot me an e-mail at pres...@tpfr.org). We probably won't turn you down but, for example, we don't want to see 5 Orvis stores posting every week about Fly Fishing 101--we would want this consolidated to a single post. We don't want to see any content within these messages about sales, gear or anything else self-enriching. Otherwise, the commercial posting policy is unchanged, and this this allowance is always subject to change or our discretion if we think it's getting out of hand. Thanks Richie and Art for bringing this up to me, I hope this helps the club and our local stores.

As always, let us know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Dalton

Dalton Terrell

Oct 29, 2015, 8:46:29 PM10/29/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
On top of this new commercial posting policy, I want to clarify and reiterate our commitment to our nonprofit friends, Casting for Recovery, Project Healing Waters, Frogman Outdoors and others. We want you guys to continue promoting your paid and free fundraising events as always.

Dalton

namfos

Oct 30, 2015, 8:35:40 AM10/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Shirts: t-shirts are cool, but not just cotton. How about printing on "performance" fabric, polyester, long sleeve and short sleeve. If the new graphic isn't too too complicated perhaps offer an option for having it embroidered on polo shirts and/or "technical" fishing shirts. If TPFR is not sure of overall demand, perhaps take orders in advance. There are also web sites that will take your submitted design and then do the rest and sell via the Web. Downside is that they get the major cut from sales with a lesser bit going to the designer/seller.

I think a Pattern Assignment is a great idea. Perhaps establish a schedule for same 6 or 12 months in advance and include it with Beer Tie notices.

More Iron Vise would be fun too - I know I'd donate excess/surplus materials for those taking on the challenge. I'd even be willing to help parcel our the stuff into packets for competing tiers. This might also be an opportunity to conduct my idea of group shopping at a craft store. (apologies to the shop guys)

Mark

Dalton Terrell

Oct 30, 2015, 9:40:14 AM10/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mark,

10-4, we're on the same page about performance shirts, and I think the supplier we're going to use for hats has the UPF polyester shirts for a price that allows us to make some money and be palpable to our members (between $20-30).

For the Beer Tie assignment, we'd like to try this out with TPFR providing the materials and a recipe (maybe an expert demonstrator as well), so we don't send you guys on a wild goose chase for materials. I'll put up a post next week about November 9th Beer Tie highlighting exactly what we're going to do. Perhaps we could get a rotation of these assignments and Iron Vise going?

Mark, thanks for the suggestions and ideas, and thanks to everyone who has and will reach out personally!

Dalton

D. Walker

Oct 30, 2015, 6:40:35 PM10/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Will the shirts/ hats be available to purchase online somewhere or only at beer ties. Just wondering so that someone does not have to lug all the shirts and hats into the beer tie every month etc and also make them more accessible to members. Just food for thought.
Dalton I love the initiative you have taken!

TurbineBlade

Oct 30, 2015, 7:14:03 PM10/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ditto -- I can appreciate how much "behind the scenes" work goes into all of this.  Thank you --

Gene

Rob Snowhite

Oct 30, 2015, 7:59:15 PM10/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If we get a square reader I can set up the e commerce site through square inc.

Maybe tpfr face masks down the line too?

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Dalton Terrell

Oct 30, 2015, 9:57:42 PM10/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

I just ordered a Square reader and set up the account yesterday, Rob.

Davis,

I'll follow Dan's lead and open an invitation for you to operate online sales and shipment of gear. Half jokingly but half seriously... I know this would raise us more money but is more hassle than I can handle right now.

Dalton
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.