Rename the Snakehead?

namfos

Jan 23, 2014, 1:29:36 PM1/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Don't.

I hope I'm not violating any terms of use here. IF so, just hit delete, Dan.

This item in the WaPo Kids Post caught my attention this morning: http://wapo.st/1egVD7B

Northern Snakehead is a perfectly acceptable common name for Channa argus in my book. I've yet to catch one, but when I do, I like the potential drama of bragging, "hey, man, I caught a freaking snakehead!" as opposed to "Potomac Pike" or some such nonsense. Plus Commissioner Robinson could stand to be fact-checked.

Any and all who agree with me, please go to www.charlescountymd.gov/snakehead-naming-contest and nominate "Snakehead" or "Norther Snakehead" or "Potomac Snakehead" instead. I'm going with Potomac Snakehead. ;-)

Mark

Daniel Davala

Jan 23, 2014, 1:34:46 PM1/23/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
No violations there Mark.  Interested in hearing everyone's opinion.  Thanks for posting!

For reference, here is a related thread from '10:

Dan Davala

--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Jan 23, 2014, 2:20:26 PM1/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Orange Roughy is also known as "slimehead", but for some reason they thought to change it for marketing purposes ;).

It doesn't matter to me either way -- I can see pros and cons for both options.

Gene

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
Don't.

I hope I'm not violating any terms of use here. IF so, just hit delete, Dan.

This item in the WaPo Kids Post caught my attention this morning: http://wapo.st/1egVD7B

Northern Snakehead is a perfectly acceptable common name for Channa argus in my book. I've yet to catch one, but when I do, I like the potential drama of bragging, "hey, man, I caught a freaking snakehead!" as opposed to "Potomac Pike" or some such nonsense. Plus Commissioner Robinson could stand to be fact-checked.

Any and all who agree with me, please go to www.charlescountymd.gov/snakehead-naming-contest and nominate "Snakehead" or "Norther Snakehead" or "Potomac Snakehead" instead. I'm going with Potomac Snakehead. ;-)

Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ernie

Jan 23, 2014, 4:44:06 PM1/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

And for all of you Chilean Sea Bass lovers...it ain't. It is a Patagonian Toothfish!

Ernie

namfos

Jan 23, 2014, 4:57:52 PM1/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Cool.

Scott Stankus

Jan 23, 2014, 7:30:25 PM1/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The only other name that I like for them is Lightning Perch, which I believe is a loose translation of their Latin name, Channa argus.

--Scott

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
Cool.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Michael Smith

Jan 23, 2014, 7:55:39 PM1/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This is fun…

Pâté Pike
Bitey Catfish
Largemouth Pike<<I entered this one.
Speedster Bass
Overgrown Toothy Anchovy with an Attitude
Limousine Tilapia
Freshwater Barracuda

--
Michael Smith, CISSP-ISSEP

Vic Velasco

Jan 23, 2014, 8:00:06 PM1/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The other name for Orange Roughy is "Filet 'o Fish"

Misha Gill

Jan 24, 2014, 9:00:09 AM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I second lightning perch!

FlyTimesDC

Jan 24, 2014, 10:38:05 AM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Lightning perch 4lyf.

Miles

Jan 24, 2014, 12:25:51 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I don't think "lightning perch" is quite right. Channa argus means Argus perch, where Argus was a hundred-eyed giant from Greek mythology (I had to look it up); according to the myth, after Argus died his eyes were transferred to the peacock.

 Argus also means a watchful or vigiliant person -- which is totally spot-on, if you've ever seen a Channa Argus watching you while you fish.

"Lightning Perch" seems to have come from a Reuters article earlier this year. I can't find any other source that backs up that nomenclature.

So Argus perch or Vigil perch would be more apt.

Miles

Jeffrey Silvan

Jan 24, 2014, 12:32:52 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What about Peacock Perch?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Jan 24, 2014, 3:29:14 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Overgrown Toothy Anchovy with an Attitude

heh heh ;-)

namfos

Jan 24, 2014, 4:02:34 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for keeping the name "snakehead," but in light of your research "watchful, overgrown, toothy anchovy with an attitude" works for me.

Mark

Daniel

Jan 25, 2014, 6:24:30 AM1/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've been hearing "Potomac Pike" used for a couple years now. I first heard it from Mike Starett.

Carl Z.

Jan 25, 2014, 11:24:32 PM1/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
How about the "Mutant Muskie"

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Daniel <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been hearing "Potomac Pike" used for a couple years now. I first heard it from Mike Starett.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Michael Smith

Jan 25, 2014, 11:49:42 PM1/25/14
to TPFR
Nobody wants to eat a mutant.  Still, I like it.

Michael Smith, CISSP-ISSEP
ryb...@ryzhe.ath.cx @rybolov
http://www.guerilla-ciso.com

Sent from my Android-capable Internet-connected toaster.  Please ignore my Unix-like terseness
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAK8gq%2BF91MZsyQE5Dk2-Ngv-vUOQQmZmxyGq51y2BS1cW_oWdQ%40mail.gmail.com.

peter odell

Jan 26, 2014, 8:48:09 AM1/26/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Overgrown Toothy Anchovy with an Attitude taken to an accroynm becomes OTAWA - kind of an exotic name without trying to ascibe the characteristics of something already out there

Pete

HeaveToo

Jan 26, 2014, 4:25:33 PM1/26/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I always referred to mine as Mr. or Ms. Ugly!  They are definitely an ugly fish but it is getting to be a right of passage to catch one in this area.  I was glad when I caught my first and I want to catch a huge one eventually.  They can be really frustrating also!

Sam Hauser

Jan 26, 2014, 7:55:15 PM1/26/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I really dont understand why everyone thinks they are so ugly. Have you only seen pictures of the dead ones? They might be ugly once you have killed them and they start to loose thier color. While alive I think they can have a pretty awesome pattern which can be quite beautiful. Especially when they are fresh from the water. Ceartianly much more colorful than a largemouth or a catfish. I spent alot of time chasing them last year and my girlfriend and I found some striking specimens.

I always referred to mine as Mr. or Ms. Ugly!  They are definitely an ugly fish but it is getting to be a right of passage to catch one in this area.  I was glad when I caught my first and I want to catch a huge one eventually.  They can be really frustrating also!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
1049018_10151653126444089_1274980590_o.jpg
1053315_10151653126464089_1840792241_o.jpg
1048836_10151653126714089_620939993_o.jpg

Trent Jones

Jan 27, 2014, 11:51:00 AM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I couldn't agree with you more Sam. I think they are actually very good looking fish. They seem to get darker and have less distinct patterning when they get bigger, but are still very cool looking.

As far as re-naming Snakeheads...I guess I would like to see the name stay the same. The only other name that really works would be Raging Bitch. Not only is Raging Bitch (Flying Dog Brewery) one of my favorite beers, the similarities between this fish and this amazing IPA are uncanny. They are both delicious, Snakeheads for their firm white flesh and Raging Bitch for its hoppiness. They are both strong, Snakeheads with their thick muscular frame and Raging Bitch coming in at 8.3% alcohol by volume. And they are both imports, SH's originally from Asia and RB's coming to you from Flying Dog Brewery originally based in Colorado....now Frederick, MD.

 If you can name a beer after a fish, why cant you name a fish after a beer?

 Actually, now that I think about it, the more types of beer and fish that share names the better. Think about the possibilities.....

           " Hey Honey, I'm gonna go out with Steve and see if we can get into some Raging Bitches"
                    "Ok, have fun and good luck!"

Yea, I will have fun, because I was not talking about the invasive species Channa Ragus Bitchius, I was talking about an 8.3% IPA. And I wont need any luck because I can name four "watering holes" within as many miles that have Raging Bitch at the ready and have a Golden Tee machine waiting to take my dollar bills five at a time.

            "Hey hun, Rob has been hitting the Striped Bass pretty hard the past few days, I think he needs my help"
                     " Wow. That's not good. You should go help him out, good luck"

Mm-Hm.  It actually is good, because I am not talking about Striped Bass Pale Ale. I am actually talking about Striped Bass. Again, probably not gonna need much luck, as my guide buddy Rob has dialed them in over the last few days and  I am going to go catch a bunch of right now.

I really think we may have stumbled onto something here.....

 -Trent "Tangent o Tangent" Jones

Michael Smith

Jan 27, 2014, 12:02:14 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Should be an Internet contest: fish species or beer?

--
Michael Smith, CISSP-ISSEP
From: Trent Jones <tjon...@hotmail.com>
Date: Monday, January 27, 2014 11:51 AM
To: <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Rename the Snakehead?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Jan 27, 2014, 12:07:18 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have no objection either -- I'm a snake guy.

Gene

Rob Snowhite

Jan 27, 2014, 1:13:22 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The younger snakeheads have a brilliant marking pattern of golds and copper hues with black and silver mixed in. I'm such a fan I'm working on having a juvenile snakehead's patterns on the side of my new boat. They do tend to get a bit blemished as they get older. TPFR Tucker mentioned at the Somemrset show that they are now in the Patuxent river.

FlyTimesDC

Jan 27, 2014, 3:36:36 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
 Could play up on the "fish of a thousand casts" moniker....Kind've like the sound of Potomac Grander or a Tidal Millenial.....

Also thought Black Steel could be a decent option (not so much a play on Zoolander as much as steelhead)

Misha Gill

Jan 29, 2014, 10:26:40 AM1/29/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I would just like to point out that they have lightning on their face. And I am petitioning Port City Brewery to create a Lightning Perch Pale Ale.

Miles

Feb 21, 2014, 4:32:37 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
When Mark first posted about the Charles County Contest, it was in the nominations stage. Since then, a "Blue Ribbon panel" of judges has narrowed the best entries to three finalists, which are:

1. Chesapeake Bay Channa Fish
2. Asian River Fish
3. Spotted Channa

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  WTF?!!! Were these real names? Suggested by grown ups? Seriously -- WTF????

Point by point:

1. The Snakehead does not live in the Chesapeake. So that's just 100% dumb. The person who suggested that should be banned for life from purchasing a fishing license.
2. I guess this is slightly more specific than Oriental Swimmy Thingy, but it describes a million other species of fish. Also, the abbreviation ARF is not particularly appetizing. "For dinner we had baked ARF -- which made me barf until I ached."
3. This is the best of the three, but still like the least imaginative ever and still somehow sounds like a venereal disease. It would be like renaming the Ocelot the Spotted Leopardus. Also, Channa twice in the finalists? Why not just call it a Channa? Which I suggested four years ago on this very forum.

I know like a thousand people here submitted Lightning Perch, even over my objections -- so why did that not make the list? Nor did my suggestion, Argo (after Channa Argus - get it?) -- which was easy and sexy and already has good brand recognition. I'm sure there were hundreds of better names suggested than "Asian River Fish". I think we should demand an investigation into Charles County's "Blue Ribbon panel of judges", and find out just who exactly they are, and who tied plastic bags over their heads just long enough for them to still be legally brain-alive to choose these finalists.

I did not include a link because I suggest we boycott the contest until we get ANSWERS. I know if I ever find myself in a restaurant that tries to serve me "Asian River Fish", I will leave without paying.

SHAME ON CHARLES COUNTY!!! Long live the SNAKEHEAD!!!

in solidarity,
Miles

Rob Snowhite

Feb 21, 2014, 5:04:02 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Carl Von Linne would roll over in his grave. Im sticking with Northern Snakehead.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Richard Farino

Feb 21, 2014, 5:16:29 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
In honor of all the old-school Virginians that I've met since moving here from NYC, I would see no other name as appropriate other than the original suggestion of Lightning Perch, so long as it's pronounced as an old-school Virginian would as "Lhatnin' Poych."

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

From: Rob Snowwhite <r...@robsnowhite.com>
Date: Friday, February 21, 2014 5:04 PM
To: "tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com" <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>

TurbineBlade

Feb 21, 2014, 6:11:07 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Eastern Mole has the scientific name Scalopus aquaticus. Want to venture a guess why someone used "aquaticus" for an obviously fossorial organism? ;)

I agree the Chesapeake thing is somewhat annoying, but it's par for the course of inappropriately-named organisms.  I hope it doesn't get selected though....

Gene
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Miles

Feb 22, 2014, 11:15:12 AM2/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The irony is that Channa Argus is just about the perfect name for that creature. See my previous post on the dubiousness of 'lightning perch'.

Miles

namfos

Feb 22, 2014, 11:24:59 AM2/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the follow up reporting, Miles. Personally I never saw the need to change the name. Must be something in the drinking water in Southern Maryland. ;-)

Mark

Lane Smith

Feb 23, 2014, 9:50:43 AM2/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from Cabo!

I don't understand why the fish needs renaming? They're an invasive species who scare the spots out of me whenever I see one. Doesn't giving them a local name legitimize their presence?

Snakehead works for me.

Lane Smith

Feb 23, 2014, 9:50:44 AM2/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Miles

Feb 23, 2014, 11:49:36 AM2/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I think the goal of the contest was to give it a name that would be more attractive to restaurants and their customers -- which is why the finalist names are so dumb. I'm fine with snakehead, too, but I can see why that does not sit well on a menu.

-Miles

Mike Bailey

Feb 23, 2014, 12:19:18 PM2/23/14
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
I agree.  Trying to even make a name change work for Snakehead would be like The Weather Channel naming winter storms. Neither will stick to well.

--
http://www.tpfr.org