Rod Recommendations - best value 8-weight

Andrew LaVigne

Aug 3, 2017, 10:30:59 AM8/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
TPFR'ers - I've had a gap in my rod selection for the last year after breaking a terrible/cheap LL Bean 7-weight on a float trip last year. I've got 5 weights, and I've got a 9-weight that I like (Orvis Access), but the 9 feels like overkill when I'm fishing the shenandoah and other smallmouth water. I have thought about getting another 7 weight, but for the bigger stuff I'd like to throw at the bass, I think an 8 is my best choice. Open to suggestion, though...

I am budget-limited - $450 is about as much as I can swing on the rod, but not looking to go cheap just to go cheap. Wish I could go get a super-high-end Sage or the new H3, but it's

SO: what's your favorite 8-weight in the affordable-to-mid price range?

Scott Stankus

Aug 3, 2017, 10:42:26 AM8/3/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I absolutely love my 8-wt. Orvis Frequent Flyer. It's 7 pieces, so it packs super small, which is handy, but I just love the way it casts. Oh, and it's well within your budget at $255.

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Jeffrey Silvan

Aug 3, 2017, 10:43:28 AM8/3/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The 8-wt Orvis Recon is one of the best rods I've ever thrown, period. I honestly like it better than the H2 8-weight. I also have an 8-weight Scott mid-range rod (can't remember the model) but I don't really use it because it's midflex and doesn't do well for most applications I'd use it for.

Just for food of thought: I love my 7-wt H2 for the Doah and the James for smallies. It does great throwing weighted clousers or the topwater bugs for smallies. While bringing two rods is a bit of a pain, you may want to maybe consider one more time on a 7-weight and just bringing the 9-weight when you want to throw the really big stuff. A quality 7-weight will probably make a big difference in throwing stuff that was tricky on your old rod.

Yambag Nelson

Aug 3, 2017, 11:02:21 AM8/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Temple Forks TICR if you can find one.  Or a TICRx.  Both are less than $300 and are great rods.  I doubt there is a better value out there.

Scott Stankus

Aug 3, 2017, 11:13:33 AM8/3/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Also a good suggestion - I've cast the TIRCx in 11-wt and really liked it. I suspect the 8-wt is also a great rod.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Marek Rich

Aug 3, 2017, 11:26:20 AM8/3/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Personally I’d go with the 7 wt. I’m certainly no expert, as I only own Orvis rods, but for bass, shad, catfish, snakehead etc that are found and targeted in our local waters, the 7 wt has been perfect for me.

For the other golfers out there in the TPFR world, the degree difference in your wedges equates to the wt difference in your fly rods. By way of example, you wouldn’t carry 60, 58, 52 and Pitching wedge. You want more versatility and coverage for all ranges – 60, 56, 52 and P wedge is more ideal. Having a 9 wt, 8 wt then dropping to 5 wt leaves a coverage gap. You also won’t fully appreciate the difference between your 9 and 8 wt’s (unless the quality of the rods is major).

Just my two cents….

cagl...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2017, 11:51:30 AM8/3/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A few years back tfo's bvk 8 did well in a rod shoot out. I own a bunch of 8s in all price ranges. I use the TFO often.

8s help you throw big flies for smallies and also bridge to  fishing salt.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bobby Davis

Aug 3, 2017, 11:55:48 AM8/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have a TFO Impact 7wt that is freakin awesome.  The rod has a different action than a lot of modern rods, and translate to less work on your part if you can harness the action of the rod.

Richard Farino

Aug 3, 2017, 11:57:03 AM8/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Andrew,

I’m biased, but I fish an old Sage XP and Xi2 890-4.

The Sage Motive is pretty much the Xi2 but with the newer Kinetic graphite.  For $450 you get a rod you can use for bonefish, largemouth, rockfish on the Chesapeake, redfish and snook all over the country, snakehead, steelhead on the Ontario tribs, & salmon in Alaska.

Andrew Sarcinello

Aug 3, 2017, 1:58:14 PM8/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have a TFO Clouser series 8wt and love it.  $210.  Leaves a lot of room for buying a nice reel and line.  You'll have no problem casting any bass flies and I've used it in saltwater a good bit.  My best fish on that rod was a 25" snook which is far more powerful than any bass you will find and I didn't have much trouble landing it, it tested the drag on my reel far more than the rod.  Just an anecdote in case you think saltwater will be in your future.  For the price TFO rods are usually great quality.  I will say I haven't heard many bad things about any rods once you get into the 8 wt range.  I think rod companies know that a crap design will be exposed badly at that weight.

Evan D

Aug 3, 2017, 3:42:21 PM8/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I just recently picked up a 6wt with a fighting butt. Often called a "salty" six weight. It's a great bass rod and also has enough backbone for large trout and saltwater. Would highly recommend it. Orvis and Sage make nice ones.

Rob Snowhite

Aug 3, 2017, 5:23:35 PM8/3/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm a big fan of my Orvis 5 piece 7'11" 8wt.
It breaks down super small for travel.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 3:42 PM, Evan D <edin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just recently picked up a 6wt with a fighting butt. Often called a "salty" six weight. It's a great bass rod and also has enough backbone for large trout and saltwater. Would highly recommend it. Orvis and Sage make nice ones.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Rob Snowhite

Aug 3, 2017, 5:42:10 PM8/3/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Four piece. I blame Steve Jobs for the typos

Sent from my iPhone
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6E2D4F9E-81FB-4E78-B81C-25FFDDAB71FF%40robsnowhite.com.

Art Friedlander

Aug 3, 2017, 7:08:56 PM8/3/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Just another vote for the TFO BVK 8 wt.
Cheap and clearly as good or better than $800 rods, according to my casting and also the rod shootout by Yellowstone fly shop that someone else referred to.

Shows again the value of this forum for getting real time unbiased advice.

Art

TurbineBlade

Four piece. I blame Steve Jobs for the typos

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 5:22 PM, Rob Snowhite <r...@robsnowhite.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a big fan of my Orvis 5 piece 7'11" 8wt.
> It breaks down super small for travel.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 3, 2017, at 3:42 PM, Evan D <edin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just recently picked up a 6wt with a fighting butt. Often called a "salty" six weight. It's a great bass rod and also has enough backbone for large trout and saltwater. Would highly recommend it. Orvis and Sage make nice ones.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.tpfr.org
>> ---

> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Aug 3, 2017, 7:44:41 PM8/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, just...@yahoo.com
Caveat -- I mostly fish glass 6-8 weights these days, so all graphite 8-weights would feel "fast" to me, regardless of what is printed on the blank.  I actually prefer glass rods in the heavier weights because I get some wrist discomfort when casting 8+ weight graphite tackle for hours and hours.  That said, I would rather have something graphite if sight-casting to fish on a flat was involved....I get too excitable and impatient for glass in that scenario ;).

Gene

Yambag Nelson

Four piece. I blame Steve Jobs for the typos

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 5:22 PM, Rob Snowhite <r...@robsnowhite.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a big fan of my Orvis 5 piece 7'11" 8wt.
> It breaks down super small for travel.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 3, 2017, at 3:42 PM, Evan D <edin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just recently picked up a 6wt with a fighting butt. Often called a "salty" six weight. It's a great bass rod and also has enough backbone for large trout and saltwater. Would highly recommend it. Orvis and Sage make nice ones.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.tpfr.org
>> ---

> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

http://www.tpfr.org

Connor Donovan

Aug 3, 2017, 9:52:45 PM8/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, just...@yahoo.com
I wish I owned more BVK's.

Clever Knickname

Aug 4, 2017, 8:20:22 AM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'd recommend the Sage VXP in 8wt - looks like the 8wt is on sale for ~$265 shipped at Cabela's right now.  Hard to beat that for a new sage with warranty.

Andy

James Ovelmen

Aug 4, 2017, 2:53:24 PM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Agree on the Sage Xii, if you can find a used one they are a serious stick for throwing big flies to big fish. I also really like the Sage Bass series rods, I have both the Series 1 and 2, and find both generations are great. I assume you could find a used Series 1 for an ok price.

Mark Schneider

Aug 4, 2017, 2:57:58 PM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Another vote for the Orvis Recon (definitely worth taking a trip to Orivs to cast one before making your decision); they're well made, light in hand, and come with a 25 year warranty. That said, since Orvis is getting ready to introduce their H3s, you can find a lot of brand new H2s via online retailers in the ~$500-$600 range if you're willing to spend a little more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orvis-Helios-2-9-8wt-4pc-Mid-Flex-Brand-New-Great-Deal-Closeout-/182680554604?hash=item2a889c0c6c:g:ZCYAAOSwIcdZc15u

Lane Thurgood

Aug 4, 2017, 4:23:52 PM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
OK, I can't say that I have a favorite in that category, but right now I am very intrigued by one that fits your bill.  About two years ago, St Croix introduced the Mojo Bass fly rod in 7, 8, and 9 weights.  They are all 7'11".  They are $150.

What intrigues me?  The rod won "Best of Show" in the fly rod category at ICAST and it's a pretty nice price.

So if I'm intrigued, why haven't I pulled the trigger?  Because I don't really need one (I already have two very nice 7- weights and two very nice 8-weights).  And I want every inch of 9 feet when I'm fishing a rod of that size on the Potomac or the Bay.  And it's a two-piece which limits where I can take it.  And it only comes with a cloth rod sack. (The last reason is easily overcome with a cheap case.)

So I don't need one but I am intrigued and quite possibly might pull the trigger if I find myself with an extra Benjamin or two lying around.  And for a guy like you who is eventually going to (let's face it) get both a 7 and an 8, it's tough to beat the price (at the very least for a backup/loaner rod).

Andrew LaVigne

Aug 5, 2017, 10:02:02 AM8/5/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Man, excellent feedback from this group.

Appreciate the thoughts on the 7 weight vs 8 weight - I've had that problem in my head for a while. Still torn on that, although leaning more towards the 8 - I'll likely fill in the 6 and 7 down the line, especially if I find myself somewhere closer to bigger trout water.

The feedback on rods was great, everybody's got their favorites. Right now, if it's full price, I'm torn between the TFO BVK and the Sage Motive. However, Sage is discontinuing a bunch of rods, and at a big discount, might be hard to avoid...

Really wishing our Friendly Neighborhood Sage Dealer was open right about now.

Carl Z.

Aug 5, 2017, 2:14:42 PM8/5/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've actually heard good things about the Fenwick Aetos rods.  Did Sage discontinue the Bolt and the Approach as well?  The Bolt was a nice rod and at clearance prices it would be reasonable.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ben H

Aug 15, 2017, 4:22:25 PM8/15/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've been doing some research on mid price value selections myself as I'm looking to replace my old 6 wt. I like carrying a 6 and an 8 with me on bass float trips. An 8 is great as a big gun for warmwater fishing.

As others have said, TFO in the BVK model gets great reviews for 8 wt. The Douglas DXF is also highly rated as a mid price rod ($350).

Sage is replacing their Approach series with the new Foundation. Heard good things about the Foundation if you want a value rod that is high quality (also American made, unlike the other 2 mentioned above). You'll see the more discounted Approach rods now that they are discontinued. Mossy Creek Flyshop has the approach discounted $100 right now.

I've also seen really good reviews about Fenwick Aetos if you want to keep the price point below $200.

Per rod length, a lot of manufacturers have "bass" models at the 7'11" size. Most bass tournaments restrict rod length below 8' and they also assume most of those rods are being used from bass boats where not as much length is needed. I do most of my bass fly fishing is either wading or floating in canoe/kayak and prefer a 9' rod since I am usually low to the water and not in an elevated position like standing in a bass boat.

Andrew LaVigne

Aug 16, 2017, 10:11:54 AM8/16/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
So, I ended up ordering a Sage Motive online, paired it up with an SA line with a fairly aggressive taper. Fished a couple days on the shenandoah throwing a variety of topwater and streamers this weekend.

Here's my take - the rod needs an aggressive cast to load, and in close doesn't have a ton of touch. That being said, it is an absolute gem from 35 feet out to 80 feet. I was turning over poppers, big bait patterns, and big topwaters with ease, and felt like the accuracy was wonderful. I probably could have gone with a 7 and still done well, but I think this rod will perform well as an all-around bass and salt stick.

Thanks to all of you for the advice!
Message has been deleted

Luke M.

Aug 16, 2017, 12:05:54 PM8/16/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The Reddington Vapen is an amazing rod if you can find one. I have a BVK 8 weight that I don't love.

Reddington and TFO have awesome no fault lifetime warranties if you break rods often like I do.

I'd avoid St. Croix simply because their warranty isn't great. It's "limited" in that they charge for replacement if you break it.

Richard Farino

Aug 16, 2017, 1:14:35 PM8/16/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Most of the bass tournament rules state rods must be under 8’ in length, hence the 7’11” rods being manufactured by companies like Sage, St. Croix, Loomis, Redington, etc. in an attempt to get anglers to use their rods in these tournaments.

The problem is these same tournament regulations usually state that there are also no fly rods allowed.

From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ben H <benm...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
--