Potomac too hot to fish right now from Anacostia to Georgetown??

Andrew M

Aug 29, 2016, 5:00:11 PM8/29/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have to admit, almost every weekend this time of year I try to get out of here and head west to cooler temps and cooler streams/rivers. And I will this weekend. However, I have some downtime at work and can leave a little earlier than normal. Given the big fish kill in the gardens, is it even worth it to try and fish the Washington Channel, Tidal Basin, bridges and structure on DC side of Potomac to Gtown or is the water too hot? I know I can throw some blue gill head on a circle hook and throw it in the Washington channel and catch blue cats until my arms fall off, but I am curious if other spots are worth the effort in the weekday afternoons. Thanks.

Jim Boryan

Aug 29, 2016, 9:29:12 PM8/29/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
What kind of fly line do you use to catch catfish with bluegill heads and circle hooks?

TurbineBlade

Aug 30, 2016, 4:58:12 AM8/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A catfish with a bluegill's head?  Maybe in 4 mile run.....

Gene

Andrew M

Aug 30, 2016, 1:15:55 PM8/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Clearly I use spin gear to hunt big cats with cut bait. I don't see anyone pulling in 40 lb cats with fly gear. I could be wrong.

However, these days, I use fly rod for most of my fishing.

SO, too hot or not?

Andy

arthur...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 1:55:16 PM8/30/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jamie Carracher

Yambag Nelson

Aug 30, 2016, 3:59:19 PM8/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I haven't fished it in about a week but last time I did I did pretty well.  It was late though.

Marek Rich

Aug 30, 2016, 4:06:55 PM8/30/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I fished the Potomac around Lock 7 last week. Water was gin clear and running nice. I fished around seams, drop off and pools and found some decent smallies (10-16”). Most of my success came in late afternoon using small clousers. Most of the bites occurred near the top of the water column. I also saw a few hellgrammites on some submerged rocks, but it was on my way off the water.

Water was perfect temp for wet wading…but be careful and mindful of your surroundings.

Carl Z.

Aug 31, 2016, 2:54:44 PM8/31/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was up at Swains lock late last week fishing in the evening and the grasses were up and the fish, inactive.  I gave up fishing on a sinking line due to the weeds, but it sounds like I should have kept at it.  The top water was really slow.  Just a few bluegill, and small ones at that.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Marek Rich <mr...@scheerpartners.com> wrote:

I fished the Potomac around Lock 7 last week. Water was gin clear and running nice. I fished around seams, drop off and pools and found some decent smallies (10-16”). Most of my success came in late afternoon using small clousers. Most of the bites occurred near the top of the water column. I also saw a few hellgrammites on some submerged rocks, but it was on my way off the water.

Water was perfect temp for wet wading…but be careful and mindful of your surroundings.

Jamie Carracher

Sep 3, 2016, 8:50:49 PM9/3/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I wet waded the Potomac around Lock 8 this morning and caught two 12-inch smallies and lost another over two hours. All on poppers. I focused on the shallow edges but didn't ever venture toward the main current. Gorgeous day and the water was very clear until the remnants of the hurricane kicked up the wind a bit. No trophies but it was well worth the trip.