Carry rods on a plane

Danny Barrett

Oct 14, 2016, 5:44:54 PM10/14/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am traveling back to my parents area for Thanksgiving and planning to bring back 3 rods whose cases are between 24" and 36".  Only posts i saw on the blog were from 2012 about carry rod tubes on. Anyone have more recent experience?  I am trying to not check them due to their costs and I don't have anything i can put them in that locks and they don't fit in my carry on back.

Thanks for any assistance,

Casey Peltier

Oct 14, 2016, 6:06:28 PM10/14/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
airlines vary. the smaller and more fee-laden, the bigger hassle. Don't even think about Frontier or Spirit in my experience.
Delta has never given me a problem. The tubes usually fit nicely into the overhead somewhere as long as you wait patiently in your seat until folks' bags are up there.
Thanksgiving might be dicey since everyone does the weekend in one carry-on, the flights are jammed, and tempers are short...
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Evan D

Oct 14, 2016, 10:26:48 PM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Southwest is a breeze - I've flown with rods and other gear as my carry on several times and haven't had any trouble, minus lots of questions and interest about fly fishing.

I've also flown American with rods with no trouble either, although they did "count" the rod as a personal item. Southwest didn't "count" it as anything so I was able to carry on another personal item and my bag.

Hope this helps!
Evan

Scott Stankus

Oct 14, 2016, 11:31:38 PM10/14/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Same experience as Evan recently with Southwest. I was flying with a 2-piece rod in a tube and it wasn't a problem to carry it on.

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Rob Snowhite

Oct 15, 2016, 7:00:53 AM10/15/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I recently flew back from Colorado on Southwest with a 9' 2 piece rod that wasn't in a tube. No issues. It fit in the overhead bin.

Sent from my iPhone

Danny Barrett

Oct 15, 2016, 11:35:29 AM10/15/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the feed back.  I'll be on United flights. Hope they r as helpful as southwest and don't try to count 3 rods as 3 carry ons. Haha.

On Oct 15, 2016 7:00 AM, "Rob Snowhite" <r...@robsnowhite.com> wrote:
I recently flew back from Colorado on Southwest with a 9' 2 piece rod that wasn't in a tube. No issues. It fit in the overhead bin.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 14, 2016, at 10:26 PM, Evan D <edin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Southwest is a breeze - I've flown with rods and other gear as my carry on several times and haven't had any trouble, minus lots of questions and interest about fly fishing.
>
> I've also flown American with rods with no trouble either, although they did "count" the rod as a personal item. Southwest didn't "count" it as anything so I was able to carry on another personal item and my bag.
>
> Hope this helps!
> Evan
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
http://www.tpfr.org

tatu...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 7:12:47 PM10/15/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
United was cool with me.  I few with my fly rod/reel in a case last March...no problem. Make sure there are no knives in your tackle vest, double check your gear.

Cheers
Collin

Yambag Nelson

Oct 15, 2016, 7:33:56 PM10/15/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I usually tape my tubes together to make them "1" carry-on.

Brad

Oct 16, 2016, 10:58:51 AM10/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
+1 on connecting them together. I carry those short bungees that are a loop of bungee with a ball on one end. They work great for 2-4 tubes and I've never had a problem with United. Carry 4 not connected together and you get hassled. Ask me how I know...

Adam Soller

Oct 17, 2016, 8:51:36 AM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I usually put two rods into one tube when traveling and check the rest. In September I put a 9' 4 piece rod into my 11'7 tube as a carry on and had no issues for my United Express (Embraer) and an Air Canada connection both ways.

namfos

Oct 17, 2016, 8:59:01 AM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nightize makes a Gear Tie that is like a super behemoth twist tie. I use em for rod tubes to keep them from rolling around in the car or cartop carrier.

Mark

Greggory DiSalvo

Oct 17, 2016, 9:29:52 AM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Took two tubes on four Delta flights in August with no problem!

Connor Donovan

Oct 17, 2016, 11:54:36 AM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Anyone ever carry on a net?  Specifically a fishpond mid-length net?  Or a net that is slightly longer than usual/quasi boat net?

Doesn't look like it will fit in my bag but I would like to bring it out west with me in a few weeks.  It's 37 inches tip to tip.

I sent a message to TSA with a link to Fishpond's website and got a super generic "Go to our website to see what is prohibited with our 'Can I bring...' tool".  Jerks.

Many thanks in advance.

tperkins

Oct 17, 2016, 12:32:26 PM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Connor did you try using the Ask TSA twitter account? https://twitter.com/AskTSA

Connor Donovan

Oct 17, 2016, 2:19:17 PM10/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Not yet but I'll give it a shot.  Good call!

D. Walker

Oct 18, 2016, 5:57:37 AM10/18/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I Agree with Thomas, if you tweet TSA or tag them on instagram, they will get back with you.

on another note, I flew with a 2 piece no problem. 2 things I noticed:
   1. when going through security the TSA agent said "whats that" and I said it's a fly rod to which he replied "I don't know if your allowed to bring that through, let me get my boss" to which I interrupted him and said "well its approved on your list" and I proceeded to pull out a print out of proof and he replied "oh ok, I haven't read those too thoroughly, you're good"  haha not to reassuring about TSA agents

   2. when I flew with the 2 piece rods, I had a connecting flight and some Flight Attendants offered to store it in the Coat closet in the cabin, others didn't say anything and I put it in the overhead bin. When I put them in the coat closet, when I got off the plane they had it up front and handed it right to me. It was not a big deal.   Note: I was flying delta.

also when I fly I also bring my reels in my carryon, just piece of mind that if my checked bags got lost, id still have a rod and reel and can buy/rent/barrow anything else.

tperkins

Oct 18, 2016, 9:51:36 AM10/18/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
One other flying tip: I have only had this happen once, but keep your reels near the top of your bag. My bag was hand checked because the differing densities (?) of fly line, backing, and the reel it self, made for a sketchy image on the X-ray. Unfortunately my reels were at the bottom of my bag, so it was a hassle to open it up and get them out. But as soon as they saw them they let me go. Now I keep them at the top so if I do get stopped it is easy.

Jeffrey Silvan

Oct 18, 2016, 10:24:40 AM10/18/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Delta has always been really good about traveling with fly rods for me, and I also often have them offer to store in the coat closet. American (and previously US Air) has been fine, but no "special" treatment of the rods. I generally find they don't care too much about something like a rod tube since it easily fits above/behind/in front of other luggage and doesn't take away from others' use of the overheads. My only experience on United wasn't with a rod tube, but with the Orvis travel case and it was one of my two carry ons so no good data point there.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Danny Barrett

Oct 18, 2016, 10:56:13 AM10/18/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the help.  I would of never thought about reels looking funny on X-Ray.

http://www.tpfr.org

Connor Donovan

Oct 18, 2016, 11:30:23 AM10/18/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Pliers look funny on x-rays too.  I've been stopped for both forceps and saltwater pliers before.

A TSA agent told me that If you don't want them digging through your bag, put the potential stop-worthy items in the bin with your shoes.  I've been doing this ever since with no issues.  Instead of waiting for the next available orderly to search your bag it's a quick "hmmmm, yup that's good to go" and you're off to the gate instead of them testing for bombs/drugs/whatever it is they test for and then struggling to repack and re-zip my over loaded, questionably sized carry-on.

http://www.tpfr.org

Casey Peltier

Oct 18, 2016, 12:03:44 PM10/18/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

and slinkies look funniest of all...spent 25 minutes in Kansas City years ago as my daughter's bag was passed through the scanner many, many times. finally they looked inside...and scanned it again and again. "Something keeps changing shape," said the TSA lady at last. we dug down a little further and found a full-sized, uncontained slinky. everybody had a laugh, except for the TSA person who'd never seen one.

Oct 19, 2016, 8:48:12 AM10/19/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Many moons ago, circa 1984, during a a few months between jobs, I drove for a livery service in NJ. One of my "regulars" was a heavy hitter at an Exxon R&D facility.  I remember picking him and his family up at Newark one evening to take them home after their trip to Atlanta. They recounted to me that when their daughter's carry-on went through the scanner at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta it set off all sorts of alarms and screams of "There's a baby in the bag! There's a baby in the bag!"

Upon closer examination it was determined that the "baby" was a Cabbage Patch doll recently purchased at Bablyland General Hospital in Georgia. I can only imagine what might transpire at an airport nowadays.

Mark

Connor Donovan

Nov 11, 2016, 9:43:11 AM11/11/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Got back from a week long trip to the SW Montana/Wyoming/Idaho area this past Monday.  TSA deferred to Southwest on allowing a fishing net as a carry on.  Here is SW's response.

"Each Customer may carry one bag and one personal item onboard the aircraft. Although there is no weight limit, carryon bags must be no larger than 10 x 16 x 24 inches. Personal items must be smaller than carryon bags. Examples include purses, backpacks, briefcases, and laptops (inside their cases).

Fishing rods, nets and tackle boxes will be accepted as carryon baggage provided the carryon rod and/or net fits securely in the overhead bin."

I'm really glad I brought it.

IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG

Greggory DiSalvo

Nov 11, 2016, 10:05:10 AM11/11/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Those are beautiful fish!

Connor Donovan

Nov 11, 2016, 12:36:00 PM11/11/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A lot of the rainbows had some cutty markings too.

It was an incredible trip.
DSC_0294.jpg
DSC_0420.jpg
DSC_0301.jpg
DSC_0473.jpg
DSC_0624.jpg
DSC_0658.jpg
IMG_1630.JPG
DSC_0624-2.jpg
DSC_0153.jpg
DSC_0556.jpg

JT

Nov 12, 2016, 9:17:30 AM11/12/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Truly beautiful fish! Looks like you guys had a blast. Trips you'll never forget are what it's all about.

arthur...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2016, 7:38:43 PM11/12/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Awesome man!

Looks like that net was a great idea.

Art

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 12, 2016, at 9:17 AM, JT <joseph.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Truly beautiful fish! Looks like you guys had a blast. Trips you'll never forget are what it's all about.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Danny Barrett

Nov 27, 2016, 10:44:32 PM11/27/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Id like to report that Bluegrass Parkway airport and regan did no cuase any issues.  Nor did Delta.  One of the flight attendants actually took my rods for me.  And at the end of the flight asked how i liked my Syndicate rod as she had one in the mail headed to her house.  First time ive had a girl offer her number, maybe i need to carry rods around more often. haha.  The things that happen on planes.

--
http://www.tpfr.org